JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

Responding to compliments - 08-11-2011, 02:23 PM

So, I keep getting a lot of compliments here in Japan. In particular kids seem to always say I'm cool...despite them not knowing me and me never having had a chance to show how cool or uncool I may be. I guess they're taking a stab with one of the few English words they know?
My friend works at a high school and when I went to pick him up from work today I even got a couple of kawaii des nes aimed my way when a gaggle of girls came over to talk to me. Which was odd. Maybe I'm good looking to some (drunk?) girls but most certainly not in a 'cute' sort of way! (especially end the end of a hard day at work when I hadn't shaved on the morning...)

So yeah.
I recall reading the Japanese throw around compliments like nobody's business and the done thing is just to say 'no no not at all!' or the like.
I tried that earlier today though when a girl (university age this time luckily!) commented that I was cool. I got some pretty odd looks from my Japanese colleagues for this though and set the girl and her friend laughing.
hmm....

Last edited by tazzy : 08-11-2011 at 02:26 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
shu (Offline)
JF Wanker

Send a message via Yahoo to shu
08-11-2011, 02:40 PM

lol your one lucky guy take advantage of it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-11-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I would like to know this too! When I was complimented, I didn't know what to say. I know you weren't supposed to say thanks, because that is like acknowleging it's true which is frowned upon, right?

So if someone is complimenting your appearance, what is a good thing to say in response if you want to be humble etc?

My teacher told me to say ぜんぜん I think, can't remember properly though.
Eternal Truth: Deny it!

Anyone who tells you otherwise knows nothing about Japanese culture, period.

You could say 「ぜんぜん」 only if you are speaking to a close friend. With strangers and older people, use 「そんなことありません(よ)。」 or 「そんなことないです(よ)。」.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

08-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Eternal Truth: Deny it!

Anyone who tells you otherwise knows nothing about Japanese culture, period.

You could say 「ぜんぜん」 only if you are speaking to a close friend. With strangers and older people, use 「そんなことありません(よ)。」 or 「そんなことないです(よ)。」.
I also like to use え?だれ?!?わたし??! and then deny it, it gets more laughs

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-11-2011, 03:36 PM

What happens when you're complimenting how cute a baby is to his/her mother? I've done so a few times and was rewarded with smiles and "thank you!"s. Is it because they know gaijin will compliment total strangers without being shy about it? They thanked me and went on to tell me his/her name and it seemed they were tickled pink anyone out of their "circle" gave them any kind of attention. I know it's natural for Westerners to do it. Perhaps the Japanese have figured that out?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

08-11-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
What happens when you're complimenting how cute a baby is to his/her mother? I've done so a few times and was rewarded with smiles and "thank you!"s. Is it because they know gaijin will compliment total strangers without being shy about it? They thanked me and went on to tell me his/her name and it seemed they were tickled pink anyone out of their "circle" gave them any kind of attention. I know it's natural for Westerners to do it. Perhaps the Japanese have figured that out?
You're a milf-hunter aren't you...

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
You're a milf-hunter aren't you...
Nope! I guess it's the child/toddler that engages me first by looking at me. I then start smiling and playing peek-a-boo. The kid then starts laughing and that's what catches the mother's attention....

Now, if the mother is receptive....... Lol!!!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

08-11-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Maybe it's because I wasn't looking for them, but I didn't see any babies while in Japan?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

08-12-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Me neither you know! In fact, I was confused as there was a distinct lack of kids about anywhere, even on weekends and stuff. Fine by me though cos I'm rubbish with kids and ain't so fond of them. XD
Really? I saw them all over the place. Then again I lived in a commuter suburb.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-12-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Me neither you know! In fact, I was confused as there was a distinct lack of kids about anywhere, even on weekends and stuff. Fine by me though cos I'm rubbish with kids and ain't so fond of them. XD
I know lots of families don't take kids to downtown Tokyo or Osaka or other places like that because 1) a lost kid is LOST and 2) kids don't enjoy it.

I remember being in parts of Tokyo and not only not seeing any children, but not seeing any women, or any men not wearing neckties.