JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

A Look At Why No Looting, Rioting In Japan (Great Article!!!) - 08-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Anyone notice how there has been ABSOLUTELY NO REPORTS of looting or rioting on the streets in Japan like there certainly would be here in the good old overly liberal U S of A?

-Comment on unofficial Chicago Police Department blog Second City Cop

Japan is a mess. It’s suffered the world’s seventh most powerful earthquake (8.9 magnitude), a tsunami with a 23-foot wall of water, at least 10,000 fatalities, a nuclear power plant crisis requiring the evacuation of more than 180,000 nearby residents, and property and other losses amounting to as high as $35 billion according to one early estimate. Furthermore, millions of Japanese residents are struggling with dwindling supplies of food, water, and other necessities in the aftermath of the disaster. From the Associated Press’ Jay Alabaster yesterday:

Millions of Japanese were without drinking water or electricity Sunday, surviving on instant noodles and rice balls, two days after a powerful earthquake and tsunami hammered the northeastern coast, killing at least 1,000 people…

Thousands of hungry survivors huddled in darkened emergency centers that were cut off from rescuers and aid. At least 1.4 million households had gone without water since the quake struck and some 2.5 million households were without electricity.

Large areas of the countryside were surrounded by water and unreachable. Fuel stations were closed and people were running out of gasoline for their cars.

Public broadcaster NHK said around 380,000 people have been evacuated to emergency shelters, many of them without power.

Despite all the misery, I can’t seem to find any reports of rioting or looting in Japan. First-hand accounts coming from ground-zero confirm the lack of unrest. From the London Evening Standard’s (UK) David Cohen this morning, reporting from the town of Hachinohe and Japan’s “coast of death”:

It is striking that there are no children crying and how orderly everything appears to be. Overall, there is an air of subdued calm and of people grimly adjusting to the new reality that their peaceful fishing town will never be the same again. When I ask how people are coping, the school’s headmaster , Mitsuhiko Shobuke, said: “Japanese people are enduring. It is not in our culture to express our sorrow or anger. We grin and bear it. There has been no looting and no riots here because in our culture we value order and dignity and we help each other. I am proud of how our people have behaved.”

About.com guide Linda Lowen, a Japanese-American, shed some light as to why there’s a lack of crime and civil unrest in post-disaster Japan. She wrote this morning:

Much is being made of the stoicism of the Japanese. The voiceovers of interpreters are slow, halting, unemotional as they translate clips from Japan’s public broadcasting network NHK. The NHK reports of survivors’ stories feel very neutral and detached compared to CNN’s viewer-generated i-Reports from Americans in Japan which frequently contain bleeped-out curse words. If the Japanese indicate distress, it’s mostly through wordless cries of “aaaah.” No repetitive swearing or excitement bordering on schadenfreude as was exemplified by one video taken by an American college student studying in Japan; he ran towards an oil refinery explosion with a video camera and emailed his clip to CNN which provided him his 15 minutes of fame.

This isn’t the sort of thing the majority of Japanese citizens would do. And anyone who’s spent time among the Japanese people can understand why.

We see subdued women and men on-camera talk about being swept away in the tsunami, husbands and wives and children torn from their grasp by the floodwaters, yet there’s no wild sobbing, no falling apart, no letting go. American reporters have been speculating as to when the Japanese will finally break and openly grieve, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. This is how the Japanese survive.

As much as I hate to admit it, I doubt many Americans, in the event of a similar disaster, would react in the same manner as the Japanese. Consider this. It’s been my experience that Americans are generally friendly and quick to help out family, friends- and even strangers. From USA TODAY contributor Alcestis “Cooky” Oberg back on November 23, 2010:

89% of U.S. households donate. America is the most generous nation on the planet, making up nearly half of the world’s total giving. The average American is 14 times more generous than the average European, because Americans see philanthropy as their individual responsibility, not as a governmental activity, as most Europeans do.

However, one only has to remember the civil unrest and violence that occurred during the 1992 Los Angeles riots and in New Orleans post-Hurricane Katrina to realize that a thin veneer of civilization exists in the United States.

“Crazy L.A. Gun Fight Erupts During Riot”
YouTube Video Link
(Editor’s note: Not affiliated with/supporter of AngryAnarchist.com)

It’s not a matter of if- but when- the United States suffers its next major disaster. And unfortunately, such events have been known to bring out the worst in a number of Americans.

When the crisis comes, will you behave like the Japanese- or take to the streets?

My advice is, put some time and effort into gathering some supplies now as part of a larger emergency preparedness kit to hopefully lessen your dependence on outside help and resources when a major disaster strikes- and avoid having to loot and/or riot. You’ll be glad you did some day.
A Look At Why No Looting, Rioting In Japan | Survival And Prosperity

Think back about Katrina in NewOrleans..

Last edited by BobbyCooper : 08-21-2011 at 11:31 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Last edited by tokusatsufan : 08-21-2011 at 10:36 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

08-21-2011, 10:38 AM

Old News?? You sure?

It couldn't be more timely in our World!!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Old News?? You sure?

It couldn't be more timely in our World!!
Yes, but I'm starting to wonder if your world is the same as our world . . .

To go on-topic, I really can't be bothered to read through another post that is the same as the hundreds of others recently cropping up (by you mostly, I think). I will repeat what has been said before, that is: Japan isn't a utopia, it had riots and looting and crime the same as elsewhere, and examples in the recent past have been given of this.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

08-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Yes, but I'm starting to wonder if your world is the same as our world . . .

To go on-topic, I really can't be bothered to read through another post that is the same as the hundreds of others recently cropping up (by you mostly, I think). I will repeat what has been said before, that is: Japan isn't a utopia, it had riots and looting and crime the same as elsewhere, and examples in the recent past have been given of this.
It's from no importance what happened 20-30 years ago.. this World is going fast!

Important is what happens today in our World and this is happening today!!

I know in which World I live in yes!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-21-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
It's from no importance what happened 20-30 years ago.. this World is going fast!

Important is what happens today in our World and this is happening today!!

I know in which World I live in yes!
The thing is, no one is talking about things that happened 20 or 30 years ago. I doubt the world is changing so fast that things that happened 2 or 3 years ago are unimportant.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

08-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The thing is, no one is talking about things that happened 20 or 30 years ago. I doubt the world is changing so fast that things that happened 2 or 3 years ago are unimportant.
No not at all! Important is what is happening in our World Today and with today I mean the last couple of years, so your time frame is fairly included.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-21-2011, 01:53 PM

TL;DR

But from the parts you bolded, this article looks like a complete rip on America, and was probably written by another weeaboo...

Sure, Americans looted and rioted when Katrina struck, but as you (probably don't) know, there are a lot of idiots on the planet. There were also loads of Americans that DIDN'T do anything like this. Where's your news reports on them? And then where's your news reports on Japanese looting and such to go alongside it?

Bobby, or anyone else here, I beg you to make these threads balanced. If you give balanced arguements Bobby, I bet you'll get more respect here.

Heh, I hope this post hasn't rambled too off-topic ^^;
(#9 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-21-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
And then where's your news reports on Japanese looting and such to go alongside it?
There aren't any news reports about Japanese looting??
(#10 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-21-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNL View Post
There aren't any news reports about Japanese looting??
There are many of reports of Japanese looting.

Not to mention the discrimination to Fukushima residents by their own country. As reported in Yomiuri :

"Ever since the accident at Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, many evacuees from Fukushima Prefecture have been subjected to discrimination and prejudice.

A student who transferred from the prefecture to a primary school in the Kanto region was shunned by classmates and eventually stopped going to class. Some gas stations in the Tokyo metropolitan area have refused to serve cars bearing Fukushima license plates."

Of course you won't see any of these stories reported in Western media. You have to look at Japanese new sources.