JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

Defunct amusement park in Japan - 08-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Got this list from Wiki, what happened to these properties now? Are they in used for something else??

Kappapia, Takasaki Kannon-yama Recreational Park, Takasaki, Gunma Prefecture
Luna Park, Osaka (1912–1923), Shinsekai
Expoland, Osaka, (1970–2009), Shinsekai
Luna Park, Tokyo (1910–1911), Asakusa
Nara Dreamland, Nara, Nara Prefecture

Thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2011, 08:16 PM

I don't know about all of them, but they are great places to go to take creepy pictures.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-25-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I don't know about all of them, but they are great places to go to take creepy pictures.
Thats why I ask Do they allow people entering? In Canada, a place like this will be occupied by Junkies... how safe is it entering these defunct parks???
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Thats why I ask Do they allow people entering? In Canada, a place like this will be occupied by Junkies... how safe is it entering these defunct parks???

Junkies are kind of few and far between in Japan. People are generally not allowed to enter these places, and this is where not knowing Japanese (or pretending not to know) is an advantage. You can pretend to be a dumb foreign tourist, and more than likely, anyone who sees you will be too self conscious to tell you to leave. If the police or security come by, you can pretend you didn't understand the signs.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-25-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Junkies are kind of few and far between in Japan. People are generally not allowed to enter these places, and this is where not knowing Japanese (or pretending not to know) is an advantage. You can pretend to be a dumb foreign tourist, and more than likely, anyone who sees you will be too self conscious to tell you to leave. If the police or security come by, you can pretend you didn't understand the signs.
I agree about the junkies, but there are risks involved when trespassing. In theory, if the police were to get involved the punishment could be severe. It is hard to know for sure.

Generally these places tend to be fairly remote (and the more remote the bigger, and the better chance it is still standing in overgrown glory).

Of your list, Nara Dreamland seems like the best candidate. I used to go to Expoland in Osaka, and it hasn't been closed down long enough to look more than an empty amusement park.

Nara Dreamland. Abandoned Theme Park in Japan (52 pics)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-25-2011, 03:04 PM

Thanks guys, apparently there are security there to stop people from entering.. Found this really cool site that may interest you guys:

Exploring the Haikyo and Ruins of Japan | Michael John Grist
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-25-2011, 03:23 PM

Some great stuff there. I looked at the Nara shots. He made it sound like there was just one security guard. What a job.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-25-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Some great stuff there. I looked at the Nara shots. He made it sound like there was just one security guard. What a job.
Sorry for multi posting, here are 2 more:

http://home.f01.itscom.net/spiral/research.html

廃墟JAPAN|全国エリア別廃墟写真・画像サイト集

Yeah, i think they just have security checking every now and then... i am actually pretty interested in the Capsule hotel post he did.. anyways, enjoy
(#9 (permalink))
Old
nellie1208 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-28-2011, 05:28 AM

I think if it is secured, it would be safe enough to enter. But, if not permitted to enter, it won't be safe ofcourse.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-30-2011, 11:58 AM

Sorry guys, found a few more sites:

Haikyo - The Abandoned and Ruins of Japan

Great Escapes - Haikyo - Ruins in Japan

Haikyo / Ruins

This one is more of a blog:

Haikyo: exploring abandoned Japan | Japan Pulse

Look at the 4th paragraph: “Lately a bunch of [not very nice people] have even documented how they break in. They break glass and steal stuff,” he explained. “And they use the fire extinguishers. It’s depressing to find a place which was practically untouched for 30 years, only to find traces of some English teacher’s recent visit all over the place.”

To my other post from a while back, being a teacher should also mean they have some level of social responsibilities, stealing and breaking in is the last thing I'd expect from a teacher..... of course, I don't know how they know it was some English teacher's handy work...