LinkBack Thread Tools
(#141 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-20-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

I understand how Americans celebrating military aspects, it's a huge part of their culture. But Alamo and Custer isn't on the same scale that WW2, or 9/11 is used.
I don't know of a single person who celebrates either one. Most people in this country couldn't tell you within a 50 year span when either of those events happened. They aren't celebrated, unless you're a Texan or something.... And since I don't particularly like that state, I definitely don't celebrate it....

I, on the other hand, do celebrate when Francisco Franco died.... His death opened Spain up to the world....
(#142 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-20-2011, 12:47 AM

Well I remember Both and I know when the occurred...roughly. I do know the Alamo was fought in Mexico. Texas was part of Mexico at the time. The US had sent 'agents provocatours" to cause trouble, giveing the US the excuse to invade mexico in the 1840's. It's how the US expanded into california and New mexico and Arizona..let alone Texas. Custer's last stand I believe was in the late 1870's by the river of Little Big horn. He was arrogant and unwise...strong American traits by some accounts..but thems the breaks.

I also remember the Battle of Bunker hill...the US lost that one too but we bloody the british up good, so we call it a draw.

You have to understand that to Americans..and I mean true Americans, those with the spirit of America. Wich is wild and unpredictible, freedom loveing, carefree, thrill seekers. War to americans is like what soccer is to the rest of the world. We like it, we love it, we want more of it. Even the war protesters need war...else they have nothing to protest.

A movie comes out in a few months called Acts of Valor..about the Navy Seals. Watch it.

Last edited by Ryzorian : 10-20-2011 at 12:50 AM.
(#143 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

10-20-2011, 12:47 AM

I'm a Texan, I celebrate the Alamo. In fact, we have two independence days that are state holidays. Independence Day is the day we told Mexico to shove it, and San Jacinto Day is the day we rolled up to Santa Ana's army half asleep and forced them to agree.

<3 Texas History.

...True Americans? Get over yourself. The 14th amendment and Congressional legislation determine citizenship. Not some Davy Crockett fantasy of yours.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org

Last edited by Tsuwabuki : 10-20-2011 at 12:49 AM.
(#144 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-20-2011, 12:51 AM

You missed what i was saying...The spirit of being american. It's been said that an American isn't born, they are made. In reality anyone can be "American"

It's an attitude and faith and belief system rolled into one. Kinda like Only texans can understand Texas.
(#145 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

10-20-2011, 01:00 AM

Yes, I have the citizenship from birth, but since I didn't live in the U.S. for the first 23 years of my life, the second 23 years have left me somewhat confused about what this country is really about....

When I was a kid, I never celebrated July 4th or Memorial Day. Thanksgiving was turkey day for me. But when I came here from 2 years in Japan and those around me celebrated Dec. 7th as "slap a Jap" day, I was really offended at how overly-patriotic and blind-to-the-world this country can be....

So, I guess I'm one who was born American but not made American....
(#146 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-20-2011, 01:59 AM

That's allright, everyone has their own band they listen too. For me, Teddy Roosevelt exspresses what being American is.
(#147 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-21-2011, 02:49 AM

Wich day are you referring too?