Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-11-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolululover View Post
How heartless are you guys?
Too heartless.

But that is why I will restrain myself from saying more than the following:
It is ok if you want to remember X event, but if it causes more pain to you and doesn't encourage you to be better at Y, why would you do it?
(#22 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I think it is sad to want to forget these sort of things. Here in UK we have Remembrance day every November 11th.
Yes, we have that day here as well. It is Veterans Day, though many wouldn't really know why it's on that day. Perhaps if it were called Armistice Day here, then some people would know. We also have Memorial Day and now it seems 9/11 Day is going to be commemorated every year as well.

Quote:
History is important-- we need to try to learn from history and be grateful to those who gave up their lives for ours.
Just because I feel it is a little overkill with all the memorials and commemorations doesn't mean I feel we should totally forget about it. I just felt all the attention may have been a bit too much....
Quote:
I grew up during world war two and no way do I wish to forget. Forgetting is an insult to all those who died.

I am still researching the pacific war-- I had been too ignorant about it.

can we learn lessons from the mistakes of the past?

Its so easy to be glib-- it is also heartless.
It's not about forgetting, but it's also not harping about it either.

Quote:

we have been watching the services from ZERO ONE where the names of each lost person was spoken aloud. The same thing happened in London. No doubt those who lost loved ones in 9/11 elsewhere will also have wished to commemorate the memory of their loved ones who were lost.

Those brave firemen who tried to rescue those trapped in that inferno-- many of those died.
I respect the comments people make about this and of course I honor those who died that day and in the ten years following that day. I was just expressing my opinions on how I feel about the 10 year anniversary as was the intended topic of this thread, not about what happened that day....
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-11-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.
But with the airline industries, I'd say that it's impossible to be forgotten. When regulations are put in place with airlines, they're pretty much staying. Even if people were to start forgetting history and this event, I'm sure the Civil Aviation Authority won't...
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-11-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolululover View Post
So yeah guy, let's just forget this whole thing like everyone says, forget about security and have more planes crash???

NO

How heartless are you guys? So many people died and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't call it "overkill" if someone you knew or family died in one of those planes or buildings!
People like you piss me off the most
As harsh as it may sound though, the fact is that most of us on this thread indeed do not know anyone involved, so we can't really play the 'what if' game.

Like I said in the last post, the Civil Aviation Authority won't forget the crash, that just won't happen. The average Joe forgetting about it won't change whether or not it happens again really.

Don't be pissed off at us. Americans have the right to their own opinions right, even if you don't agree? Sure you may not like it, but making it public that you don't like it and that it pisses you off is a little annoying. Your post was perfectly fine until you used that last sentence. :/
(#26 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-11-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
What experience and history teach is this -- that people and governments never have learned anything from history, or acted on principles.
- George Wilhelm Hegel

Quote:
Poetry is nearer to vital truth than history.
- Plato

Quote:
Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular.
- Aristotle

He drew a circle that shut me out --
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-12-2011, 11:35 AM

I guess this goes to show how selfish the human being can be-- "if its not in my back yard-- I don't care a damn."

Lets pretend it never happened.Be like the proverbial ostrich.

If we lose compassion what are we?

give me animals any day compared to many humans.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I guess this goes to show how selfish the human being can be-- "if its not in my back yard-- I don't care a damn."

Personally I think it's more about balance than anything else . . .

At the risk of repeating what's been said . . . what happened was awful, and we shouldn't forget, and the stories told are devestating and thought-provoking indeed, but at the same time do we really need to be constantly reminded of such a tragedy?

WW1 and 2 for example were horrific, more so than 9/11, and no one has or ever will forget those events . . . but it's not on television every single day, in the newspapers every other week, it's not rammed down our throats until we're so desensitised to it that instead of sympathising all we think is 'not this again'. All I've heard for ten years is 9/11 and about terrorists, and this past weekend no matter what I did or where I went it was constantly there being shoved at me.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's good to remember, but at the same time isn't it also bad to - not just remember - but obssess about those events? The media really needs to balance things out, because whilst the events are awful I think this level of coverage is demoralising and desensitising people to what happened.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-12-2011, 12:21 PM

I can see what you're saying RobinMask, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I feel the same in all honesty.

Quote:

If we lose compassion what are we?

give me animals any day compared to many humans.
But if we did this for every single bad thing that happened in the world, then we'd never have time to live. If we have to spend a day remembering 9/11, then we have to spend a day remembering the holocaust, then another day remembering the Chinese earthquake, then another remembering the 2004 Asian tsunami, then another remembering Pearl Harbour... you get the idea.

So when facing this, it's impossible to remember everything every year with complete compassion and mourning.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-12-2011, 12:45 PM

I agree with RobinMask and Umihito. Their last posts explain exactly how I feel. Sure it's important to know history but it's just annoying to be remembered about it so much. If we start commemorating every bad thing that happenend we start living in the past. And that's certainly not a good thing..

Oh, by the way. You don't need history at all to stay compassionate. History and compassion are two totally different things.

He drew a circle that shut me out --
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in.