JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

japanese tsunami!! BBC programme - 09-13-2011, 12:26 PM

Last night a small coverage of a few survivors stories was broadcast here in UK.

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Panorama - Episodes coming up

I am wondering what practical help all those who were affected and still are affected by that day--are they getting anywhere near enough help?

especially the Fukishima Nuclear Plant and the danger of radiation.

what help are those former residents of that area receiving?

whenever I see the terrible devastation caused by thatTsunami I shudder for all those who lost everything.

Are plans for the future being set up?

Nation marks six months since earthquake, tsunami | The Japan Times Online

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 09-13-2011 at 12:39 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

09-13-2011, 02:27 PM

They are getting the equivalent of $25,000 to rebuild their homes. Most of the displaced by Fukushima will have to leave the shelters by month's end without a real place to go. Temporary housing built is only at 74% of what's needed. In other words, not enough is being done for them, though the new PM vows that reconstruction is tops on his priority list....

I will be in Ishinomaki City at 2:46pm JST on 2012/03/11 to commemorate the anniversary and offer my prayers to those lost and still missing....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 09-13-2011 at 05:38 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-14-2011, 12:41 PM

when I see the terrible damage of that tsunami my heart goes out to all those who lost loved one plus their businesses or their homes.

Obviously it's a massive task to renovate the place. I don't know how much the international community is helping?

I hope to goodness something can be done for these people.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-14-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the links. They look interesting but it says that the videos aren't available from my viewing area.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-14-2011, 04:42 PM

sorry about that spicey tuna.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

09-14-2011, 04:44 PM

John, 74% is a lot. i don't think any other disaster has witnessed such a fast recovery.
all the damage from the storm Katrina in US, as far as i know, hasn't been completely restored, or if it has, then only recently. same goes for Haiti.

Last edited by evanny : 09-14-2011 at 04:48 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

09-14-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
John, 74% is a lot. i don't think any other disaster has witnessed such a fast recovery.
all the damage from the storm Katrina in US, as far as i know, hasn't been completely restored, or if it has, then only recently. same goes for Haiti.
74% refers to the percentage of temporary housing (roughly what a trailer park has to offer). And that's temporary. Who knows what the government has set for them in the future. This housing must be on someone's land or the government's because it sure isn't where the people lost their homes. There are towns that look much the same as Hiroshima did, where just a few structures remain for kilometers. Not much construction has been commenced because the rubble has to be removed. And where is that rubble to go? Much of the demolition cannot take place because the owners haven't been notified (they're either missing, dead, or perhaps not being contacted) So no progress can be made in those instances. Those people are still out of work, so they're not earning any income and yet they still have mortgages to pay for the homes they don't have or can't access (as in the case of the Fukushima evacuees). It's a messed up situation for many people.

All the info above is just from watching NHK Newsline on a regular basis, so the info may be lacking a lot of substance, such as the laws regarding any rights the population has when something like this happens, etc.

Is the reconstruction better than Haiti, of course. Haiti is a third world country and Japan is a first world country. Katrina was just an example of what doesn't work in government. At least it seems Japan is more united in its struggle than the U.S. was....
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-15-2011, 11:57 AM

there was another programme on BBC last night. Mainly to do with Fukushima and the dangers of radiation.

Many of those people who had to leave their homes appear to still be living in these gymnasians. Tho' some returned to see their abandoned homes. With no hope of ever returning again.

What proper alternatives are being offered to these stranded people?

They survive in Limbo-- for how long?

Here is an article about the orphaned children following the Tsunami.

More quake orphan benefits sought | The Japan Times Online

I wonder how many children lost their parents or family in this Tsunami. so many lives affected by it all.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 09-17-2011 at 05:42 PM.