JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post killed whales - 09-28-2011, 12:06 AM

Barbarism, plain and simple. Let's call a spade a spade.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-28-2011, 03:35 AM

^ Lol. so educated are we? In my experience, the only people who think whaling is unconditionally Barbaric are buzy body red-necks.

(#13 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-28-2011, 06:52 AM

For me the real interesting issue in all this is why does Japan continue whaling. Commercially the industry is a dud and only survives with huge government subsidies. There is only a very small market for whale meat in Japan, way smaller than the amount they catch each season. I doubt very much if most Japanese would even support the industry if they had any facts on it. There is almost universal condemnation from other countries for the continuation of the industry. The industry doesn't really employ that many people and few if any communities are totally reliant on the revenue from the industry. The 'science' angle of the industry is just a complete joke. The cultural angle in my opinion is also a joke considering that most of the catch is taken from the Southern Ocean around Antarctica. There is nothing cultural about that whatsoever.
So why continue? What is the benefit for Japan?

Personally I believe it's politically expediant as it's a very simple way for the government to pander to extreme right wing and nationalist groups in the country. They love nothing more than telling foreigners to go get stuffed and the whaling industry is symbolic of this for them. I truly think if there wasn't such international condemnation then the industry just would have died the natural death of any other unprofitable inddustry. But it's now expedient to prop it up to appease the extremists for a few extra votes come election time.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

cheap shot - 09-28-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
^ Lol. so educated are we? In my experience, the only people who think whaling is unconditionally Barbaric are buzy body red-necks.
Uneducated rednecks did not kill whales. Japanese savages did.
So, try again
(#15 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-28-2011, 02:28 PM

Is Chiuchimi Chinese?

China takes bears and keeps them trapped in a cage for many years-- where it cannot move-- whilst Bile is taken from it-- for what?

I have seen videos of the cruelty to many cats and dogs-- including skinning alive.

If animals could talk things would change.

why should human beings think they can treat animals in any way? Animals feel pain just as humans do.

I am anti factory farming---------I abhor animal testing in laborotories-- yet I use drugs--- Isn't it time more tests should be made on human beings?

We exploit animals terribly.

Why Japan pretends they kill whales for research-- How ridiculous is that.

Surely in this day and age a more humane way should be found to kill them than occurs at present.

Also people who think they are superior to animals-- should behave better.

There for the grace of God they could be born as an animals that might be slaughtered and killed.

where possible farm animals should be treated properly--. I think we would all be vegetarian if we understood how badly many farm animals are treated
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

09-29-2011, 03:08 AM

You know, you sound like an American telling all the rest of the world what type of governments they should have, what type of customs they should have, what they should do with thier women and so on.

Honestly, if American's trying to "improve the world" as they see it, just pisses everybody off. Don't you think yelling at china about bears and japan about whales is kinda like the same thing?

I don't disagree with you completely about the mis trearment of animals, I just liked makeing the point as an example that everyone, somewhere, has something they believe in so strongly that they think everybody else should believe the same way.

As a interesting irony, In my home state of Iowa some peta folks, angery about the Mink farms here, released 5000 minks from thier cages in "protest" about cruelty to animals. Guess what? nearly every one of them was killed by a car within hours, the highway had thousands of mink corpses stretched along the shoulders. Those minks had been liveing in cages thier whole life, they had no idea what "life" was like outside that. So tell me, who was cruel here?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-29-2011, 09:32 PM

I suggest the mods to close this thread before flame wars commence.
This topic involves too much morality, thus the opinion from all sides will always differ a lot.

I could explain why taking murderings (of any kind) are nothing to really care about, but then I would involve myself in the previously mentioned flame wars.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
UAE20 (Offline)
New to JF

09-29-2011, 10:30 PM

TO when Japan hunting Whaling,I have study these topic it has been as a case, I was in shock When I did Project on this topic whaling began from acienct era and still they practies it even intenational depate not come with any solutions,Japan is one of the richest country and its economy is high,why they still on whaling? no anwer????!!

Learning from you life experiance is important lesson to be well person but Not fallen in the same deep valley
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

09-29-2011, 11:56 PM

Because someone with money, somewhere, likes to eat whales.

Follow the money trail, there is always a money trail.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

09-30-2011, 11:22 AM

I already gave the answer above why they continue. It's not about making money, the industry loses money. There are allegations of Yakuza involvement and corruption but they're pretty hard to substantiate. I still believe it's mostly for political expediancy to appease the ultra nationalists and extreme right wing elements in Japanese society. Simple as that.