LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
You know, funny enough, I start noticing the new generation having difficulities distinguishing "You're" vs "Your", "Than" vs "Then" etc... i think this fall in your category
Add to that "their" and "there" as well. Yes, I've noticed this trend for a long time now and it shows the level of education in this country. It's quite scary, if you ask me....
(#22 (permalink))
Old
phishy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to phishy
09-20-2011, 03:13 PM

You can thank programs such as "no child left behind" for the large influx of younger people butchering their own native language. Anyone can graduate from high school now.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
crime60 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to crime60
09-20-2011, 07:45 PM

It is pretty frightening what godwine and JohnBraden said,,, it seams that language is getting out of control, not only English. I am sure that its happening all over the world. Hell, sometimes in public places I get to hear my language getting butchered by my own people,,, it makes me want to shout out loud till I get everyone’s attention then "Baaaang" SHOOT myself in the head …
phishy hammered the nail right on the head, “anyone can graduate from high school now”, this is a heavy statement, but unfortunately it will NOT grab(or “to some” at least touch) our attention … I can’t imagine how the next generation’s language will sound,,, Ummm I picture aliens hahaha …

I spun away from the center of this thread, sorry I got carried away…

"work for your world and living like you will forever live, and work for your hereafter like you'll die tomorrow"
Mohamed (P.B.U.H)
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-21-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
cannot comment on Spanish, as I have absolutely 0 exposure to Spanish
Japanese and spanish pronunciation are almost the same, we spanish speakers struggle very little, to have a somewhat natural Japanese accent.

Canaca con subtitulos en ingles - The Canaca subtitled in english - YouTube

Here's your exposure to spanish; wise words from St. CANACA.

also wtf is the 'your' 'you're' thing serious?.... err that is depressing.

Last edited by Nameless : 09-21-2011 at 12:23 AM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-21-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Japanese and spanish pronunciation are almost the same, we spanish speakers struggle very little, to have a somewhat natural Japanese accent.

Canaca con subtitulos en ingles - The Canaca subtitled in english - YouTube

Here's your exposure to spanish; wise words from St. CANACA.

also wtf is the 'your' 'you're' thing serious?.... err that is depressing.
Dead serious, all Canadian kid once thought messed up grammar and spelling were cool, the coolness now became the norm. I see people use "your welcome" all the time, then, there is the mix up of then and than, their and there. Maybe we should open a new thread to discuss this
(#26 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-21-2011, 12:18 PM

doesn't language constantly evolve--?
(#27 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-21-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
doesn't language constantly evolve--?
My personal opinon: Slang does, not a "Language"
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Atredies (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-30-2011, 03:01 AM

i hear more spanglish than english in california. strange.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Nebelherz (Offline)
JF Regular

10-01-2011, 08:51 AM

Language changes all the time. Who define, what is proper English or any other language? You just see Old English is different from Modern English. But do we know, why excactly it changed this why? Maybe because, some people just started talking different? I don`t excactly know, why languages changes over time. Sure there are coming new words from other languages in one`s languages, but it`s not just that what changes over time. Some words starts to become totally different or words are used for different meanings, than their were used before. You can also see on dialects, that some words, are spoken differently and also meanings are changed or even grammar is different.

I think you does just need to learn English for Japanese, because there are more English Japanese learning materials, than in German. Ok, I think also, that English is a must, because it`s a world language.
^^; My English isn`t also very well, since I don`t use it that often to writing and speaking. (I use it more for reading. There are so many nice English books, which are not published in German. Ok anyway, I read also books in English, which are published in German, but why reading a translation, if a can have the original?)
Sure, I want to become better in English, but I don`t need too be perfect in English, for learning Japanese.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

10-01-2011, 11:04 PM

lol @ all you language elitists rueing the "corruption" of your beloved language.

If you think the English you speak is so "pure" then read some Shakespeare and ask yourself what language you are speaking now.

Bottom line.. language evolves.

If you are interested in this topic research linguistics and in particular socio-linguistics for yourselves.

To learn Japanese (or any language) all you need is the ability to grasp some basic concepts on the way the language works and practice it regularly.