JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SobaUdon (Offline)
New to JF

Want to learn Japanese? LEARN ENGLISH FIRST! - 09-17-2011, 09:35 PM

There's so many people here asking about how to learn Japanese, while butchering the English language in every fathomable way in their posts. If you can't learn proper English in today's society where tons of movies, books, comics, even manga are in English, then you will NEVER learn Japanese.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-17-2011, 10:44 PM

What?
If I can recall correctly, English words in Japanese are about a 1% of it.
There are many resources in other languages, therefore I must ask: Why is learning English so important to be proficient in Japanese?

Maybe you are trolling, if so, then I can butcher your language all I want.

I can haz butcha yo langah all I goo-ant and eu kant doo naughdhing.

Last edited by Nameless : 09-18-2011 at 06:44 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-17-2011, 11:02 PM

This troll thread needs to be deleted....
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

09-18-2011, 03:45 AM

I freely admit that I butcher my native lanquage on a daily, if not hourly basis. That's the cool thing about English, you can literally tear it apart and everyone will understand what you are trying to say anyway.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
09-18-2011, 05:40 AM

Aw, someone is upset no one likes him...

Troll thread go bye bye soon?

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
LeSamourai (Offline)
New to JF

09-18-2011, 05:47 AM

Actually, I think I agree with the original poster a little bit. I think a person should have a knowledgable grasp of their own native language before attempting to learn a new language. Anyway, it makes sense to me, or am I missing the point in this thread?

P.S. New member here, hello!

"There is no greater solitude than that of the samurai, unless it is that of the tiger in the jungle... Perhaps..." -The Book of Bushido (Le Samouraï, 1967 film by Jean-Pierre Melville)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ostria (Offline)
New to JF

09-18-2011, 05:54 AM

:/ I do agree with the opening though. Despite being born and raised in America, English has always been the hardest subject for me, despite being a native speaker. I mostly have trouble with verb tenses, and while learning Japanese, I'm having a hard time with it there as well :/.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-18-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeSamourai View Post
Actually, I think I agree with the original poster a little bit. I think a person should have a knowledgable grasp of their own native language before attempting to learn a new language. Anyway, it makes sense to me, or am I missing the point in this thread?

P.S. New member here, hello!
What if their "native" language isn't English?

You do realize that the internet is GLOBAL don't you?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-18-2011, 12:12 PM

I think this has been covered elsewhere in the past...
Not everyone on here is a native English speaker. And not everyone needs English in their daily life. It is a bit silly to assign a rank to the languages of the world and start saying that if you want to learn any foreign language you need to learn English first - which is what this thread looks to be saying at first glance.

I do partially agree that native English speakers should try to post in decent and comprehensible English... But that is only for native speakers. Complaining about the English language ability of someone because they are trying to learn Japanese makes absolutely no sense.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SobaUdon (Offline)
New to JF

09-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think this has been covered elsewhere in the past...
Not everyone on here is a native English speaker. And not everyone needs English in their daily life. It is a bit silly to assign a rank to the languages of the world and start saying that if you want to learn any foreign language you need to learn English first - which is what this thread looks to be saying at first glance.

I do partially agree that native English speakers should try to post in decent and comprehensible English... But that is only for native speakers. Complaining about the English language ability of someone because they are trying to learn Japanese makes absolutely no sense.
I was talking about those who DON'T have English as a first language. They should prioritize English and then focus on Japanese, as English is the world's most important language when it comes to politics, media, entertainment, business and practically everything else and in between.

Knowing English will also make it easier to learn Japanese. At least it did for me, as there's tons of Japanese language material covered in English that is not available in my mother tongues.

I am talking about grammar books, Japanese syntax, books on kanji and so on.