JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

Social Networking - 09-24-2011, 04:07 AM

What do you guys think about social networking? There's a lot of changes going on with Facebook getting ready to release major new changes to the website, and Google+ is fighting to gain support. Twitter has also began integrating the ability to tweet photos. Do you get into social networking? How much do you participate in different forms of social networking? I think that since we're on a forum, many of you may at least participate a bit in any one (if not all of these websites), but do you take them seriously? I guess this is kind of like the "Are cell phones necessary?" kind of topic. Personally, I'm excited. I use social networks all the time to stay connected to everything everyone is doing. Most of the time, news and other important information I find out from Facebook or Twitter before it's even reported.

Here's what the new Facebook is going to look like, by the way (my profile):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newfacebook.jpg (100.1 KB, 49 views)

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography

Last edited by WingsToDiscovery : 09-24-2011 at 04:11 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JLCL00 (Offline)
New to JF

09-26-2011, 01:16 AM

I'm somewhat indifferent about social networking.

In terms of using it for business/conventions/groups/etc, it could be useful to spread the word and gain popularity. However, I don't really bother with such things. I used to have a MySpace account but decided to delete it once I started getting uncomfortable of the fact that it contained my real name in it (knowing how business are starting to search up a person's name before hiring and all that). I have a Facebook account but I rarely use it (for that one, I used two fake names along with false info/interest).

On the subject of Facebook updates, I heard that they were apparently going to add some archive of the things a person has done over the years. Is this going to be an optional choice for the user or what?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-26-2011, 10:55 AM

it seems that it is the way to communicate these days both for good and not so good.

The recent riots in London were helped on their way by messages on facebook. Also-- surely much of the Protests in the Middle East are encouraged by twitter or facebook or similar.

I used to love CB radio--- chatting to various people who were also on it.

I preferred it because we could actually talk-- or listen-- also it enabed S O S warnings for boats in trouble on the sea near us.

It seemed more human than the remoteness of typewritten messages.

What will be the next big Social Network blockbuster?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-27-2011, 01:50 AM

Welcome to Seppukoo / Assisting your virtual suicide
I'll just leave this here.