JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tehamordidounperro (Offline)
New to JF

Wink 英寫. Chinese script adapted for english language. is anyone interested in it? - 10-10-2011, 07:15 PM

Hi!

I am watching for people which are interested in this idea and which want to help me.

I am very interested in Chinese calligraphy and language. In fact, i am not too interested in chinese culture.. Just the language. Because of the script.

Since my childhood i am really charmed by those beautiful magic little peactures with so many mistery inside. But i'd like to bring that aspect of this beautiful language to our western culture. Well, may be with adding to it some part of our special western soul)) Like new special calligraphy styles, new characters. and so on

I'd like to adapt the characters for the english language. It's much more easy to do than for my native (Russian/Ukrainian), because there are noit so many different word forms and so on. Although, the script can be adapted to any kind of language, i think.

Of course, it would be very difficult to use only the characters, cuz english is not chinese, so we must add some optional alphabet. We can develop our own one that will fit to the characters.. But i think it would be much better to use the existing one. Like korean or japanese. I prefer to extend the japanese hiragana. English alphabet just may be won't fit to the new script.

well, may be some characters will be a bit ambigous. like some synonyms. so in things like poetry (when the real sounding of the word is important) we should just use the new alphabet for those synonyms, not the characters.

Also, i think, the new script does not require spaces between words. especially if we will extend hiragana. Because it can sometimes help us to find the border between the words: like. "The bus is arriving": may be it should be smth like this: THE+BU+S+I+S+A+RRI+VI+NG.

we can see that "bus" and "is" are different words. because we use s+i instead of "si". The same is with "is arriving." because we use s+a. not "sa".

I have already found some posts on the internet about developing such kind of alphabet. But all of them had some flaws:

1. Only using existing in Unicode characters

2. Only using chinese characters. without alphabet.

Of course, doing in another way will face us with the new problem: there will be a lot of difficulties with fonts. It will be difficult to display the characters. So we will have to work on creating fonts and on programming utiluties for input methods.

May be my idea sounds senseless.. Cuz we already have latin alphabet and it's very easy and comfortable to use. We europeans always like to make things as easy as it possible. And may be that is right. But characters are just magic. There is a great adventure of it: beauty. extremely beauty. And also if the characters will be adapted to other languages too it would help speakers of different languages to read it even without knowing the language. But only with slight understanding of it. Cuz it's very difficult to make it universal.. Languages are to different, grammars are different. So i am not going to that point..

Well, this forum is about japanese language and culture, so there are a lot of people which really love the characters and can understand me, i guess. May be some chinese or japanese will be also interested in it.. But in fact, i am doing this mostly for westerners and i'd like some part of our westernity to be added to our new script but everybody is welcomed. Let us do that for our pleasure.

Hope somebody will support me