JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
phishy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to phishy
Temple University ?'s - 10-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Well first off is anyone on here currently a student at, or has attended, Temple University in Japan? I just submitted and application for the Fall 2012 semester and am not completely sure if I'll get accepted. My GPA was decent in high school but I was also living the life of a typical teenager (partying, drinking, smoking pot). Also I'm old enough that none of the SAT or ACT requirements apply to me. I plan on going for an under-graduate degree in either economics or japanese language. If all goes well with school I would probably plan to stay in Japan to continue working with whatever degree I end up with. Since I'm from the US i qualify for all student loans and financial aid that i would normally receive for college here. Also the company i currently work at I could probably continue working for from abroad for a somewhat decent salary (600-700 USD weekly) since i've been a manager there for so long (currently making 1300 weekly).

Just so everyone here understands im not some kid trying to run away to a magical place hoping for all these wonderful things to happen. I have an extremely comfortable job for a 24 year but I like constant change and there are so many things to experience outside of my own close-minded country. I've always been intrigued by Japanese culture, customs, and architecture which is why I've chosen it as the place I'd like to finally go to school at. I could always just stay here and continue working but I'm the kind of person that likes being pushed constantly to try new things and to learn something every day. Sadly my job is pretty simple so my mind runs on auto-pilot all day...and i need to be mentally engaged in something.

So any advice you guys could give me as far as studying in Japan, things to do before I come, things i should do when i get there and any other advice you can think of will be greatly appreciated. And also if anyone currently going to school in Japan works for an american company remotely and if that goes against the 28 hour a week work rule for foreigners on a student visa.