JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   'no girls' (or for girls: 'no boys') allowed (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/40512-no-girls-%28-girls-no-boys%29-allowed.html)

Nippom 10-16-2011 07:11 PM

'no girls' (or for girls: 'no boys') allowed

This was inspired by the 'No gaijin allowed' thread, but seemed just unique enough to merit its own thread:

Reading some of the replies in the 'No gaijin allowed' thread, I just happened to remember the classic American scene where a group of boys will create a makeshift 'club house' and post a crude cardboard sign that reads 'no girls allowed'.
This is often made fun of, or variously glorified by some artists seeking to give 'color' to Americana, or vilified by some amateur social activist types with their own agenda.
It may not be so acceptable today, when little kids are reputedly shut down and told more frequently by real police officers that 5-cent or 25-cent street-side lemonade stands are against the law, and the PC (politically correct) movement tries to see evil behind every perceived social deviancy.
To be fair, I would venture to guess that girls are equally as likely -or unlikely to- do this, perhaps in less-open ways, in sometimes excluding boys.

This is all speculation and allegation, not stated fact, so there is no need to come down on me like a ton of bricks for the above, but it has been known to happen and I don't speak either if favor for or against, but only voice my curiosity.

Do young Japanese girls or boys ever do this kind of thing, and if so, how do they show or demonstrate it socially?

Some boys and girls -up to puberty, whether singly or in groups- can sometimes tend to view members of the opposite sex as being virtually from another planet.

I wish to differentiate between this kind of 'boys vs. girls' group mentality, as opposed to school age bullying.
I'm not asking about bullying, which is a completely different subject.

godwine 10-17-2011 11:06 AM

I know that younger kids (my Cousin's kid's age, around 12) have this thing with "The opposite sex is yucky", so her little social group would have consist of just girl. According to her, anyone in this "group" seen socializing with a boy will be made fun of and labelled Traitor, I don't know if the extent should be considered down right bullying... but just some simple name calling or make fun of the "traitor"...

As far as what my cousin and his wife told me, this behavior is common for kids around that age, usually start somewhere around 8 up till 13/14. Though I don't think they wen't as far as making signs that saids "No Boys Allowed"

Nyororin 10-17-2011 11:18 AM

I don`t think you see it as strongly, but there is a definite difference in the play styles and interests of boys and girls after a certain point so they end up heading off into their own groups.

Rather than the other sex being "yucky", it seems there is more a feeling of "why would you want to play with them?" because the interests just don`t overlap. I have yet to see any sort of directed exclusion, and there is value placed on relationships between the sexes so you don`t see outright shunning of the other.

But in the end, boys play differently than girls, so the groups head off in their own directions.

WingsToDiscovery 10-17-2011 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have no opinion now on the topic, but this is what I immediately thought of; American comic strip series "Calvin and Hobbes."

Heka41 10-17-2011 01:59 PM

is this going to turn into a segregation thread??