Else 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Darketernal (Offline)
New to JF

11-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Ok to make things clear my partner is a real japanese born in japan.

Thing is this, the kanji only seem to make things shorter, but its hardly the case. The kanji symbols themselves are so difficult to write, that they kill any time you save with it. So like the other person wrote a shorter japanese sentence with kanji, its actually a lot longer if you had to write it all down, in other words.

Kanji is not logical. Actually the whole japanese language isn't logical, i think its a very romantic and beautifull language, but logic not quite.

I am actually suprised and don't understand why so many people are in favor of kanji, its chinese anyway it doesn't belong to your language, its difficult and illogical.

I myself don't mind doing the effort of learning it, but my partner says its illogical, and based on how much effort it takes to write it down i tend to say i agree. So i wondered if more japanese people felt this way.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-16-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darketernal View Post
So i wondered if more japanese people felt this way.
You already have one against: masaegu....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 11-17-2011 at 09:34 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Again:

Pragmatism: Yes.
Cultural: No.

I won't try to change it anyway, I just like the challenge. Besides if they did change the writing system, it wouldn't be as awesome as it is now.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

11-16-2011, 02:15 PM

Can they change it? Yes. Should they do it? NO

How many years will that take? Its not a big bang, you can't expect to change the system and the next day, people are all converted and FULLY literate (Note I capped FULLY)

It has nothing to do with what it where its from, its part of the culture. The last I checked, MOST European language had some ingredient of English, and many shared the same alphabet but employed the use of accent. Maybe they should stop using the same set of alphabet then? Its English anyways?
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Atredies (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I am actually suprised and don't understand why so many people are in favor of kanji, its chinese anyway it doesn't belong to your language, its difficult and illogical.
i guess you want to get rid of french or romance-influenced words in english. too bad this is impossible.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
pokori (Offline)
New to JF

11-17-2011, 10:10 AM

My answer is NO.
It's just so much cooler to have Kanji, and as a Japanese who studies in China, I probably have the biggest advantage over other foreign students in learning Chinese
I've heard that Korean used to use Chinese characters like us but at some point decided not to. I wonder if for Korean to read their language is similar for Japanese to read an article all written in Hiragana...
Anyways, I can't imagine for Kanji to desappear from Japanese language!!
(#27 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

11-17-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Ok to make things clear my partner is a real japanese born in japan.
Opposed to them pretend Japanese people that we hear so much about?

Quote:
Thing is this, the kanji only seem to make things shorter, but its hardly the case. The kanji symbols themselves are so difficult to write, that they kill any time you save with it. So like the other person wrote a shorter japanese sentence with kanji, its actually a lot longer if you had to write it all down, in other words.

Kanji is not logical. Actually the whole japanese language isn't logical, i think its a very romantic and beautifull language, but logic not quite.

I myself don't mind doing the effort of learning it, but my partner says its illogical, and based on how much effort it takes to write it down i tend to say i agree. So i wondered if more japanese people felt this way.

You obviously do not know enough about the language to back up your argument. Kanji and Japanese as a whole is a very logical language.

英語より日本語の方が論理です。
More than English, Japanese is logical (Japanese is more logical than English).
Or as you would have a kanji-less translation

JAPANESEISMORELOGICALTHANENGLISH.

Take the word "live" for example. Did you read it as in "I live in England" or "I'm on live television?"

With kanji, this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-17-2011, 10:53 PM

But instead we have one kanji with 2 or more pronunciations
(#29 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

11-17-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
But instead we have one kanji with 2 or more pronunciations
Shhhh! Who's side are you on?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#30 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-18-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Does the Roman alphabet come from your country? If not, why are you using it?

And you seem to have no idea that a large portion of the words used in English do not even come from English.

Annnd who cares if kanji are difficult for you or your GF? Fact is it works in Japan. It has worked here well over 1,000 years.

Finally, why the heck are you ignoring my remark that Japan has a virtually 100% literacy rate? If you cannot claim the same about your country, maybe it's your language that needs to be simplified, not Japanese.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.