JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Poll: referendum in Japan on ending kanji (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/41289-poll-referendum-japan-ending-kanji.html)

Darketernal 11-14-2011 04:31 PM

Poll: referendum in Japan on ending kanji

my japanese partner really thinks kanji is inconvienant it's often double or triPle work on paper and computer.

Japan should have a referendum and get rid of kanji immediately, or not?

Opinions on this are welcome

JohnBraden 11-14-2011 04:47 PM

I have stock in Twitter and the Japanese have a huge advantage when it comes to kanji and twitter with a 155 character limit. I don't want that to go away and have the Japanese people dump twitter for something else! So my answer is, no.

Darketernal 11-14-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 886946)
I have stock in Twitter and the Japanese have a huge advantage when it comes to kanji and twitter with a 155 character limit. I don't want that to go away and have the Japanese people dump twitter for something else! So my answer is, no.

if that where true the rest of the world which do not speak Japanese would have dumped twitter already ,also twitter could just expand it's max wordcount easily if this happend

ryuurui 11-14-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darketernal (Post 886945)
my japanese partner really thinks kanji is inconvienant it's often double or triPle work on paper and computer.

Japan should have a referendum and get rid of kanji immediately, or not?

Opinions on this are welcome

Tell your partner to learn more about Japanese language mechanics, as, quite obviously, his knowledge in this respect is limited.

spicytuna 11-14-2011 06:12 PM

Yup! The Japanese should definitely dump the characters they've been using for thousands of years due to your friends inconvenience.

Nyororin 11-14-2011 06:36 PM

Hahahaha.

No.

This has come up before.
I have also seen plenty of the "Japan should abandon hiragana, katakana, and kanji and switch to romaji!" opinions.

If you believe this, it is because you do not know enough of the language to see what a horrible and awful idea it is... And how much harder reading would actually become as a result.

godwine 11-14-2011 06:44 PM

Simple enogh, here is one sentence from asahi.com I took

住民からは「事故が収束せず、いつ帰宅できるかわから ない状況では、避難が長引くほど精神的な苦痛は強まる 」と批判の声があがっていた。

And when we eliminate the kanji
じゅうみんからは「じこがしゅうそくせず、いつきたで きるかわからないじょうきょうでは、ひなんがながびく ほどせいしんてきなくつうはつよまる」とひはんのこえ があがっていた。

AND for you illiterates who thinks that this world should only be represented in some form of English text:
juuminkarawa ( jikogashuusokusezu , itsukitadekirukawakaranaijoukyoudeha , hinanganagabikuhodoseishintekinakutsuuhatsuyomaru ) tohihannokoegaagatteita .

nuff said....

Nyororin 11-14-2011 06:55 PM

I hate to correct in a place like this, but 帰宅 is きたく. :)

godwine 11-14-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 886954)
I hate to correct in a place like this, but 帰宅 is きたく. :)

Thanks for correcting... more reasons to have kanji...... :)

crime60 11-14-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spicytuna (Post 886950)
Yup! The Japanese should definitely dump the characters they've been using for thousands of years due to your friends inconvenience.

lol,,,
a good statement...
I just started to learn the language, so please, please tell your friend not to push out Japanese characters, because of his "inconvenience" that is...

:p Sorry, but I had to comment on this:D :D :D