JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
XcapeLand (Offline)
New to JF

agree but... - 11-25-2011, 04:55 PM

I don't think this petition is going to work because...
  1. Spanish is the second most language spoken in the U.S and so Spanish is going to be given the most importance on the national level when it comes to schools.

and
  2. Unless Japanese becomes a common spoken language in the states I seriously doubt that a majority of people are going to push for the change either.

Not saying this isn't a good idea but, its not likely to happen with out some real need for it. However, I think you can change it on a local level by suggesting it to your local school board.

Last edited by XcapeLand : 11-25-2011 at 05:58 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

11-25-2011, 07:41 PM

this is stupid, specially if you are trying to make a part of a default curriculum

first of all, people usually (at least in Europe) learn the language with which they will have the most likely contact.
for me it was my native Latvian, English and Russian - started them at grade 6 or 5.
after that you can go and learn whatever language you want. probably in every country there is a way to learn any language you want.

what use will it be if there is a mandatory language lessons when there is nobody to speak it? like say for a Norwegian or Swiss?

unless you are a neighbouring country to Japan, then there is no need in trying to get Japanese taught in schools. that kind of stuff is left for universities where the language is taken up by people who are actually interested in serious study and use of the language.

in my country each year we have only 70+ new students who pick up Japanese. only 70 but there still is a programme for us with a native teacher.
so if my in middle of nowhere country has means to provide these lessons then every other country probably also has! so there is no need for a BS petition which will accomplish nothing.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-25-2011, 09:24 PM

FWIW, Japanese was available as a high school credit course in Toronto, Canada. However, the classes took place every Saturday in one particular school.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Caerula (Offline)
JF Regular

12-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Well, actually in my Japanese course at Japanese Culture Institute are some pupils of senior classes who selected Japanese as subject at their school which is a Gymnasium (you could compare it more or less with a Senior highschool). That goes also for Spanish for example. They can even graduate in that subjects (A-level). In my country, we´re learning English from the time of kindergarten till gratuation. From 6th grade we can choose the language we want to learn next. The language depends on the school, but each school can decide which language they want to teach. So you can find here schools who offer Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Italian etc. ... classes.
The point is most of these languages aren´t languages of any our neighbouring countries. Would I have to learn just languages at school that are languages of my neighbours, I had no opportunities to broaden my mind. It´s good to have the chance to learn every language you want to, even if it´s not useful in your current situation.
So you shouldn´t call the petition of these guys stupid - even if it is probably pointless.

素晴らしい日ですね

Last edited by Caerula : 12-15-2011 at 09:07 PM.