JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Gaijin Gone Crazy - 12-04-2011, 11:35 PM

It might be just my own distorted perception but it seems (to me at least) that the more skilled a person becomes in either learning the Japanese language or culture (or both) there exists a higher tendency for them to become condescending or outright rude based on that particular skill set. (At least online that is.)

I have my own thoughts on the possible reasons (one being that perhaps people who have lived in Japan for a few years have a knee-jerk reaction to any foreigners who even breathe words like anime, harajuku, samurai, etc..) but I'm just curious if this is a thing others have noticed and why you might think it exists (if it does at all)?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kakurenbo (Offline)
New to JF

12-05-2011, 12:06 AM

If you had to eat hotdogs everyday for a year wouldn't you get sick of hotdogs?

Hearing, "Hey hey I love anime they are so kawaii!!!!" everyday is like eating hotdogs for a year straight.

I just shake my head and close the thread, other people vocalize their annoyance.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-05-2011, 07:05 AM

It's really the same anywhere in the world. The people who live there, have daily lives they attend too, where as the tourist, everything is a new thing for them and they seldom realize that what they find new or exciteing is just mundane to the folks there.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

12-05-2011, 07:08 PM

This has nothing to do with people in Japan.

Rather the attitude amongst foreigners who know a bit about Japanese culture/language towards those that don't know.

I know what Ohayou is talking about to an extent (that KyleGoetz guy in the other thread about mieru, mirareru is a twat as is the Rickoshay guy in the thread questioning whether or not people think the Japanese Emperor as God)

But while they stand out on this forum, in the real world, they are a minority in my experience.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

12-06-2011, 12:29 AM

Would this topic stem from the general type of answers appearing in the "Is kanji necessary?" thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Rather the attitude amongst foreigners who know a bit about Japanese culture/language towards those that don't know.
I'd say that it's rather the attitude of "I watched sooo much anime I know everything about Japan, maaaan!" kiddies towards those who actually live here and work double time to be part of Japanese society.

If one refuses to respect other's experience on the matter, he should not expect respect for his own trivia information about bits and pieces of the exact same thing. It would fight against common sense.

There is and should not be equality in experience, knowledge and skills among people, not real nor imagined one.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-06-2011, 12:57 AM

I agree with acjama. It is the attitude of those who feel they know so much about Japan despite having very little true experience with the country... versus those who actually do have direct knowledge and experience.

Nothing is more frustrating than being told that, no, I am totally wrong because in some anime/drama/book it said otherwise, etc.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-06-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acjama View Post
Would this topic stem from the general type of answers appearing in the "Is kanji necessary?" thread?
Hi Acjama,

No, no, not at all. It is not said in reference to any specific thread at all.

I've been witnessing (or at least I *think* I have) a general condescending attitude toward people who are deemed "fan boys/girls" from others who are more fluent in the culture and language.

Quote:
I'd say that it's rather the attitude of "I watched sooo much anime I know everything about Japan, maaaan!" kiddies towards those who actually live here and work double time to be part of Japanese society.
I can understand that anime is a hot button word that doesn't conjure feelings of respect toward the individuals ogling over anime by foreigners who study Japanese or live in Japan but they are also .. kids. It seems the ones who protest the loudest are the older adults - not the kids. If you're an adult over 25 years old who gets upset over kids liking anime then maybe you want to re-evaluate who has the real problem. It's cute to me that they like another culture. I've also seen grown adults openly mock adults and kids alike who are genuinely interested in the culture or for trying to help answer a language question. Again, a re-evaluation of who has the real problem may be in store.

An interesting thing you said: "those who actually live here and work double time to be a part of Japanese society."

That seems to be where the dividing line is to me: The people striving to be a part of Japanese society vehemently disassociate themselves from their anime loving cousins or anyone else for that matter who doesn't seem to fit the bill. Truly, it seems the more adept one becomes in the Japanese culture the more one seems to loathe any other foreigner venturing into this territory.

Quote:
If one refuses to respect other's experience on the matter, he should not expect respect for his own trivia information about bits and pieces of the exact same thing. It would fight against common sense.
I'm not sure I understand the particular context but I agree that respect is a 2 way street.

Quote:
There is and should not be equality in experience, knowledge and skills among people, not real nor imagined one.
I truly agree that we all have different life experiences, knowledge, and skills (real and/or imagined heh) and if using the life experiences, knowledge, and skill sets that someone is proficient in as reasons to disrespect people or make light of them then that speaks volumes for the emotional maturity of the individual.

Thanks Acjama for the reply and again this is not said in a particular reference to any thread.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

12-06-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHayou View Post
That seems to be where the dividing line is to me: The people striving to be a part of Japanese society vehemently disassociate themselves from their anime loving cousins or anyone else for that matter who doesn't seem to fit the bill. Truly, it seems the more adept one becomes in the Japanese culture the more one seems to loathe any other foreigner venturing into this territory.
This I think is somewhat accurate. But probably true in all fields of study I would say.

Sometimes it's warranted of course.

Like when Christians try to comment on biology or physics.

Other times it isn't. Like when someone asks an innocent question and they are treated with contempt for no good reason.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 12-06-2011 at 02:24 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-06-2011, 02:23 AM

After reading the last post, I get the feeling that I am thinking of a slightly different scenario. I don`t think I have ever mocked or been hostile toward anyone for liking anime, being a fanboy/girl, etc.
I likely have been if they tried to tell me I was wrong and they were right, thanks to knowledge they gained through anime/manga/etc.

In general though, people who go over the top with anything are frustrating and annoying - particularly when this gets in the way of reality. It tends to be these types who get the worst shock in the end when they do come face to face with the real world.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

12-06-2011, 03:02 AM

I like anime, but aside from a few basic words that I am able to pick up here and there, I fully realize it will be of no assistance in understanding Japanese culture.