Old
KIZILTiLKi (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to KIZILTiLKi
I Wondering Japanese Names and meanings - 02-12-2012, 09:17 AM

Hi Friends

I Wondering Japanese Names and meanings

You can ask me " Why ? "

Because I am Turk. The most important thing for the Turks is the names. In fact, even more important than life.

Some Dominant Names are directs our lives.

For the example : My name ise Erdinç. It does mean : healthy private soldier.

All my life I was curious weapons and soldiers. I gathered my courage and I was 23 when I joined the army. Now I am 26 years old and I am still a soldier

So I am wondering Japanese names and meanings, What is the effect of personel life? Can you write in alphabetical order?

And I wonder has a name, especially - Yuriko

Thanks in advance

HEY YAVRUM HEY ! SONUNDA JAPONLARLA DA KONUŞTUK YA HELAL OLSUN A.Q. !!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
inveniam (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2012, 04:35 AM

Hi,
Japanese names do have their meanings clearly, as each kanji has its meanings.
And generally speaking, the meaning of one's name are considered to be very important : every father and mother wants to give their child a good name.
The fact that words and letters have been considered to have special powers may have something to do with this.
But I think the effect of the name on one's life is less direct in Japanese culture than yours. For example, 健 (ken) is a popular name. 健 means "healthy" or something like that. Our prime minister's name is 佳彦 (yoshi-hiko), and 佳 roughly means "good" (佳作, for instance, means "a good piece of work"--rarely used in names, btw). 賢 (this,too, happens to be "ken") is also a common name, and it means "clever", "intelligent", "wise", something like that. Each name reflects their parent's wishes : they wish their child, or his/her life to be a healthy, good, or intelligent one.
As shown above, Japanese names are more adjective-like (I don't know what to say..), and it has little to do with what kind of life he/she actually lives, what kind of profession he/she dreams of, etc.

There're some possible (and each is common) name for "Yuriko" - 百合子, or 由里子, perhaps.
子 is a common word used in girls' names. Yuri is a lily : used in names to reflect its beauty.
(I found it difficult to explain clearly--- sorry my English is not good enough.)

p.s. I think the importance of the meaning of a name in your culture is quite interesting.

Last edited by inveniam : 02-16-2012 at 04:41 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KIZILTiLKi (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to KIZILTiLKi
02-16-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inveniam View Post
Hi,
Japanese names do have their meanings clearly, as each kanji has its meanings.
And generally speaking, the meaning of one's name are considered to be very important : every father and mother wants to give their child a good name.
The fact that words and letters have been considered to have special powers may have something to do with this.
But I think the effect of the name on one's life is less direct in Japanese culture than yours. For example, 健 (ken) is a popular name. 健 means "healthy" or something like that. Our prime minister's name is 佳彦 (yoshi-hiko), and 佳 roughly means "good" (佳作, for instance, means "a good piece of work"--rarely used in names, btw). 賢 (this,too, happens to be "ken") is also a common name, and it means "clever", "intelligent", "wise", something like that. Each name reflects their parent's wishes : they wish their child, or his/her life to be a healthy, good, or intelligent one.
As shown above, Japanese names are more adjective-like (I don't know what to say..), and it has little to do with what kind of life he/she actually lives, what kind of profession he/she dreams of, etc.

There're some possible (and each is common) name for "Yuriko" - 百合子, or 由里子, perhaps.
子 is a common word used in girls' names. Yuri is a lily : used in names to reflect its beauty.
(I found it difficult to explain clearly--- sorry my English is not good enough.)

p.s. I think the importance of the meaning of a name in your culture is quite interesting.
Thank you very much for information

So is there any link about japanese names and meanings ?

By The Way, I know this is not Turkish forum, but i want to say, Turkish culture is one of the world most interesting cultures.There are also other interesting aspects of our culture. Ritual to join the army, Ritual to marriage, Rituel to circumcision, Rituel to praying Etc. Etc. Etc.

HEY YAVRUM HEY ! SONUNDA JAPONLARLA DA KONUŞTUK YA HELAL OLSUN A.Q. !!!

Last edited by KIZILTiLKi : 02-16-2012 at 10:52 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
inveniam (Offline)
New to JF

02-22-2012, 03:50 AM

Yes, I think you can say there is some link between Japanese names and meanings, with Kanji meanings in between. I can also say their meanings are usually rather abstract (at least I think so).

As for turkish culture, I hear Turkish language is somewhat similar to Japanese.. I don't know whether it's true or not, I'm interested :-)