JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
annachiu (Offline)
New to JF

What is the problem of the Japanese companies?? - 03-25-2015, 03:11 AM

I am really irritated by my fiance's company...

He's, of course, a Japanese.
He works in a large company and so-called the best employer in Japan. He's now working in Hong Kong as a trainee.
During his training in Hong Kong, we met and decided to get married in April.
As a Japanese custom, he need to report it to his boss in Hong Kong, and also in Japan.
The Hong Kong boss was total fine with our marriage and sends her congrats to us.
However, when he told his boss in Japan, his reaction was so strong and kinda shouted at my fiance saying that he's in training, should not get married in this period. He suggested him to postpone our wedding, but my fiance insisted not to. One of the reason that we are getting married is because his company is sending him back to Japan and I decided to go to Japan with him. The company should not have a hand into the employee's personal life.

Now, his boss said, if you insist to do that, I will have to report it to the GM.

Well....what's the point of doing this?
That's totally non-sense to me...

I don't care how his boss react and actually I support if the boss what to tell the GM. In my mind, if this is a really good company, the GM should be smart and will make a right decision. If the GM has the same reaction as my fiance's boss, I can say this company don't deserve to have my finace working there. With his skills, a lot of headhunters are waiting for him.

Of course, I told him to be calm (He wanted to resign yesterday). I asked him to wait if the boss will really report to the GM and the GM's response. If that's the boss's problem only, just stay and wait for the department change.

I am happy because he insisted about our marriage and listened to me about the theories of being a leader in the future to show the company his strength. But still, I cannot understand his boss's reaction.

I am a bit worried about the working environment in Japan now. Can I survive there?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SnrConstGiles (Offline)
New to JF

03-25-2015, 04:44 AM

What's all this then?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-25-2015, 05:56 AM

The Japanese boss might think that the trainee in the company should devote to the training and should not make girl friend during the training term.

How the company evaluates the trainee after the training? If your fiance passes the evaluation, The Japanese boss can say nothing.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Imienna (Offline)
New to JF

03-25-2015, 01:32 PM

I really don't understand it.. Why and what for you will have to report it to the GM?

Luksus Portal - Wiodące produkty, usługi, marki luksusowe
(#5 (permalink))
Old
annachiu (Offline)
New to JF

03-26-2015, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
The Japanese boss might think that the trainee in the company should devote to the training and should not make girl friend during the training term.

How the company evaluates the trainee after the training? If your fiance passes the evaluation, The Japanese boss can say nothing.
Well, that's completely Japanese mind....
The boss think that the company send him to train but he used this chance to date with a foreigner is not proper...which means he didn't focus at work.
Hey, people has personal life right? I think all the boss in Japan think the employer should devote all to the company and personal life is nothing.
I am quite sure that he can spare more time when he is working in Hong Kong as he don't need to work overtime everyday. So, he's using his own time to date, is that a problem?

This training is to prepare him to become an expat in the future. He need to write reports to the company regularly and that's it. Actually before this incident his company was praising him for his achievement (He has no sales target during the training, but he still got some new business, and some Japanese company contacted him for business opportunities even when he's not in Japan)

My fiance told me all problem has been solved now. He talked to the boss again and the boss became really nice this time...
I think the boss finally realized that it is not smart to tell the GM about this small issue.

So, I feel better now, but this incident really gave me a bad experience of dealing with Japanese.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
annachiu (Offline)
New to JF

03-26-2015, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imienna View Post
I really don't understand it.. Why and what for you will have to report it to the GM?

Luksus Portal - Wiodące produkty, usługi, marki luksusowe
I think that's just his strategy to make my fiance give up getting married in Hong Kong. He is afraid of people will have gossip on us that's why he want to stop him. However, I think getting married is normal and like a step in one's life. If someone will use this to have gossips, I don't mind at all, and my fiance don't mind too
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-27-2015, 02:42 AM

> So, I feel better now, but this incident really gave me a bad experience of dealing with Japanese.

I understand your concern. That is a side effect of the way Japanese have built up Japan.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.