LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
Hikikomori (Offline)
JF Regular

06-12-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Yeah. Personally, it doesn't bother me so much. As far as I'm concerned they can like what they like, and these people tend to be very young and are only just discovering Japan, such as 12-13 year olds [not wanting to stereotype them too much, however, I hate it when people make assumptions based on my age.] And I'm glad that they made it on here, because there are a lot of people with experiances of Japan so they are able to point them in the right direction.

I'm not a super fan of Japan, I just have a casual interest in some of the things over there, at the moment it is particularly the language which I want to learn for business purposes but I'm finding it difficult to get a course.

I love it where I am so it would be very unlikely I would attempt to move somewhere completely different such as Japan.

Oh and, a lot of these people live in America. They probably have the second most amount of anime and manga, second only to Japan. So I don't know what they complain about really, England and other places don't really have anything, if that's all they are interested in anyway.
If you want to learn japanese and find it difficult to find a course you should do whet many others do, start watching anime with english subtitles, download some fancy "learn japanese" programmes and buy some "learn japanese" books. This is only if you are totally blank about the japanese language, don't know anything, not the basics. With the program and the books and the anime, you learn both how to write and how to pronounce.
If you already speak a lot Japanese now, I would feel like an idiot. But many people learn japanese this way, and so do I But then I'm only a 18 year old Norwegian girl so I don't know if you find it a good idea to watch anime just so you can learn Japanese

I have also noticed that all the har core otakus that ain't japanese, is american. So in Norway they call me an otaku, but if I go up to an otaku from Japan or America they would probably laugh in my face telling me i know nothing : ) So I guess I'm an Norwegian otaku then maybe.

紀元直して来いよ来いよ、俺らの家まで
(#122 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

06-12-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikikomori View Post
If you want to learn japanese and find it difficult to find a course you should do whet many others do, start watching anime with english subtitles, download some fancy "learn japanese" programmes and buy some "learn japanese" books. This is only if you are totally blank about the japanese language, don't know anything, not the basics. With the program and the books and the anime, you learn both how to write and how to pronounce.
If you already speak a lot Japanese now, I would feel like an idiot. But many people learn japanese this way, and so do I But then I'm only a 18 year old Norwegian girl so I don't know if you find it a good idea to watch anime just so you can learn Japanese

I have also noticed that all the har core otakus that ain't japanese, is american. So in Norway they call me an otaku, but if I go up to an otaku from Japan or America they would probably laugh in my face telling me i know nothing : ) So I guess I'm an Norwegian otaku then maybe.
I borrowed some books from the library and I'm trying to learn Hirigana on a good website called Hiragana and Katakana Practice - Real Kana . It's been very helpful! I only know very basic things. Introductions, saying what I like and dislike, talking about my hometown, complimenting someone and congratulating people on special occasions. That's about it!

There was a thread on learning Japanese through anime, and people said that it can help you out but you can't learn all your Japanese from there because a lot of it is slang.

Don't worry, I'm only 17!
(#123 (permalink))
Old
Alex110390 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Alex110390
06-12-2008, 11:23 PM

i really dont like that word, lol i find it very derogatory. i mean i absolutely love almost everything about japan but im also fully aware that i am white and not asian, so i really dont like it when people refer to me as that, i dont know about other people though.
(#124 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

06-12-2008, 11:26 PM

*envies you* I know only one phrase...

私は日本語を全然話しません。

I need to learn some conversation...

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#125 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

06-12-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex110390 View Post
i really dont like that word, lol i find it very derogatory. i mean i absolutely love almost everything about japan but im also fully aware that i am white and not asian, so i really dont like it when people refer to me as that, i dont know about other people though.
I don't think it would apply to you then, really. It's for people who are very niave about the realities of Japan and think it's anime and mangaland.

That article doesn't explain it in the best way though, admittedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajitsu View Post
*envies you* I know only one phrase...

私は日本語を全然話しません。

I need to learn some conversation...
I learnt some basic conversation through audio lessons. If you just want to go on holiday or somethng, it's pretty good to get you through.

I got them from Learn Japanese.
(#126 (permalink))
Old
Hikikomori (Offline)
JF Regular

06-12-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I borrowed some books from the library and I'm trying to learn Hirigana on a good website called Hiragana and Katakana Practice - Real Kana . It's been very helpful! I only know very basic things. Introductions, saying what I like and dislike, talking about my hometown, complimenting someone and congratulating people on special occasions. That's about it!

There was a thread on learning Japanese through anime, and people said that it can help you out but you can't learn all your Japanese from there because a lot of it is slang.

Don't worry, I'm only 17!
Ah, I'm 17 too
I believe you can learn a lot from anime, they have slang in Japan too, and learning to understand their slang would maybe become helpful, at least if you are planning to stay there over a longer period. I just use anime so i can learn to pronounce the words and learning how i can use the words i have learned and make them into sentences. I'm not focusing all that much on their writing system yet, I'm focusing on learning how to speak japanese and write japanese with "normal letters". I only know some of the basics yet though, greetings and goodbyes and a lot of different foods and drinks a lot of random words.

紀元直して来いよ来いよ、俺らの家まで
(#127 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

06-12-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikikomori View Post
Ah, I'm 17 too
I believe you can learn a lot from anime, they have slang in Japan too, and learning to understand their slang would maybe become helpful, at least if you are planning to stay there over a longer period. I just use anime so i can learn to pronounce the words and learning how i can use the words i have learned and make them into sentences. I'm not focusing all that much on their writing system yet, I'm focusing on learning how to speak japanese and write japanese with "normal letters". I only know some of the basics yet though, greetings and goodbyes and a lot of different foods and drinks a lot of random words.
By normal letters you mean Romaji ^_^

Well from my point of view, the reason for me learning the language is for business purposes, it's a good international business language to learn. So really learning slang isn't all that important for me, but it is good for hearing how words are said though.
(#128 (permalink))
Old
Hikikomori (Offline)
JF Regular

06-12-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
By normal letters you mean Romaji ^_^

Well from my point of view, the reason for me learning the language is for business purposes, it's a good international business language to learn. So really learning slang isn't all that important for me, but it is good for hearing how words are said though.
You're only 17 and is learning Japanese on your own for business purposes, that just sounds so not fun at all.. i used to say to my parents that I'm learning Japanese for that reason to before actually. But that was because i didn't want to admit to myself that i wanted to learn japanese just because it was the language of japan. And besides my parents would get angry at me for studying japanese instead of english for instance.

But I gues learning Japanese just because of business purposes is smart, but I don't understand how you are capable of doing that.

紀元直して来いよ来いよ、俺らの家まで
(#129 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

06-13-2008, 12:01 AM

I'm gonna study Japanese so I can one day go to Tokyo and have no troubles communicating.
(#130 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-13-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I don't even know if the peace sign originated from Japan, I'm quite sure it didn't. I thought it started in England with the V for Victory during the war.
It pretty much is just used for a "victory" style in Japan. It doesn't carry the peace meaning at all.