JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

08-16-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post

and if i see another thread starting with "im afraid to go to japan b/c im "insert race"

i will eat your family

-Htek

LOL.
im also sick of those threads.

they have practically nothing to be scared about, from what ive seen, japanese people are really polite. o_O
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-16-2007, 06:42 PM

if i see another topic of "I WANNA BE JAPANESE" ill fucking bomb ur countrY!

edit: and ur surronding countries

Last edited by Kaicui : 08-16-2007 at 06:44 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-16-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Yeah there's that video on youtube also (Do You Like Japan? Japan Doesn't Like You!).

I know it's not fully truth cause everyone I know who's been to Japan says they're nice people, but Japanese don't usually like having stuff to do with other races. I know people who are graduated in Translation and Interpreting and they can't get a fucking job cause the Japanese won't work with anyone who comes from a different country, so they've been studying Japanese for 5 years in University and what for? Cause they don't seem to be good enough to be trusted, only because they were not born in the same place. That's racism right there.
That's interesting. I have been an translator for a couple years now and have worked with dozens of Japanese people who are estatic to work with an non-Japanese who speaks and can read and write Japanese. Trust has never been an issue.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post
There are some places with the signs "japanese only"

reason
1: Members only places. Foreigners are just visiting, and do not intend on becoming members.

2: Some places are very busy and packed with Japanese customers, its not worth the extra money to hire Bi Lingual workers to cater to foreigners when they are already busy.

No JUST English speaking customers, but many other languages would have to be covered, Hence Japanese only.

Many foreigners come to japan to visit from all over the world.

Can you beleive how frustrating it is when your establishment is busy and your trying to figure out what some one is saying, while your patrons and regular customers are waiting.

Its bad business, your neglecting your regulars trying to decipher what a foreigner is trying to say.

3. Foreigners rarely try to learn Japanese or know any Japanese at all.
Every one knows a bit of english cuz its taught in most countries.
Japanese is not.
making this completely different then U.S or any other english speaking country.

4. Places like onsens do not allow tattoos and serve only japanese people.
there ARE onsens for foreigners.
But mainly foreigners do not know the etiquette for onsens and usualy do something rude or inappropriate. Hence, they have seperate onsens.

5. Tradition
some temples and places have traditions and rules that are known to local Japanese.
Some places just dont want tourist to come by and snap pictures and pose in front of things.
Example. Some temples.

Nothing like having a tourist give the middle finger or a peace sign next to a sacred relic or statute. yea thats really cool and respectful right.

6. Just Etiquette.
In many cultures including japanese, there is just a etiquette and rules to abide by. Tourist do not know this, and its not their faults b/c they were not born here and do not know.

-Htek
Housetek,

I would say that 95% of the places that have "Japanese Only" signs are expensive pubs that overcharge the customers and aren't used to being called on it. Japanese customers at lingerie pubs or "all you can drink" think it is low-class to ask the cost when walking in, so these pubs take advantage of that and charge an huge amount of money.

I went to one snack bar with 2 Japanese guys and another foreigner. We walked in and it was dead. We asked the price. It was 2000 yen entry and 800 a beer. It was late, so we agreed. After about an hour we got up to go, and got a giant bill. We said "Hey, you said 2000 yen a head and 800 yen a beer. 4 guys, plus 8 beers doesn't add up to 25,000." "Yeah, but we weren't busy, and you were talking to all our girls." and some other baloney. We refused to pay those prices, and told them to call the police. We were only paying what we were told the price was.

Next time we were in the building there was a "Japanese Only" sign on the door.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-16-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Housetek,

I would say that 95% of the places that have "Japanese Only" signs are expensive pubs that overcharge the customers and aren't used to being called on it. Japanese customers at lingerie pubs or "all you can drink" think it is low-class to ask the cost when walking in, so these pubs take advantage of that and charge an huge amount of money.

I went to one snack bar with 2 Japanese guys and another foreigner. We walked in and it was dead. We asked the price. It was 2000 yen entry and 800 a beer. It was late, so we agreed. After about an hour we got up to go, and got a giant bill. We said "Hey, you said 2000 yen a head and 800 yen a beer. 4 guys, plus 8 beers doesn't add up to 25,000." "Yeah, but we weren't busy, and you were talking to all our girls." and some other baloney. We refused to pay those prices, and told them to call the police. We were only paying what we were told the price was.

Next time we were in the building there was a "Japanese Only" sign on the door.

haha nice bit of information MMM Thank you!

i've never thought about that.

i've yet to see a "japanese only" sign in Tokyo

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-16-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaicui View Post

I got your back homie.

On Another note i would like to say to Suki, thank you for taking time to read and reply to my points, i respect your opinion and views greatly and once again thank you for doing it in a polite way.

very rare to have a nice debate with out it gettin out of hand.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)

08-16-2007, 07:15 PM

dude all this ranting got me tired...time to go eat mid day lunch brb
(#18 (permalink))
Old
zenit (Offline)
i'm evil kyuubi

08-16-2007, 07:47 PM

I think english is easy too, thats why its an international language, not the only reason but a good one, its easier that any latin language, not only german.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)

08-16-2007, 07:50 PM

^dude wrong topic?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

08-16-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaicui View Post

So...you have a problem with people who want to become Japanese citizens?

Q: Who cares what other people think?!?!
A: Japanese people do.