(#21 (permalink))
Old
zenit (Offline)
i'm evil kyuubi

08-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post
well maybe you picked it up easy, and thats great

I myself went thru 6 years of esl learning this backwards language.

and yes compared to most languages, english is spoken backwards.

and i wont argue that German isnt hard.

Many reserach, tests, studies, etc etc. have shown that English and German are the 2 toughest languages in the world to learn.

but English is the international language that is required in most countries, not German.

We have so many rules, pronunciations, punctuations, grammar rules, etc etc.

Also words that sound alike but mean something completely different, and words that are spelled the same but mean completely different things in another context.
-htek
just a comment to his post, not that off topic to me but ok
(#22 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-17-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post
haha nice bit of information MMM Thank you!

i've never thought about that.

i've yet to see a "japanese only" sign in Tokyo
I think I have seen 2 or 3 over the years. One was the situation I described and the other 2 were on pink salons.

We are spending a lot of time for something that is almost non-existent.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
08-17-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek
I dont want to be rude, but you dont fully understand how important it is in japanese CULTURE to socialize after work.

it is their CULTURE, you can knock it if you want, but its somthing thats been in japanese history for hundreds of years and will continue to be there.

Its VERY important to go out with co worker and build relationships with them, its like a "team building" tactic.
Yeah, I did know that. My uncle went on a bussiness trip to Japan and told me all about it, and if I'm not mistaken, Liza Dalby (first non-Japanese woman to become a geisha) also points that out in her book.

I think professionality should be their priority, and forget about their cultural differences, because when it comes to bussiness (or at least that's what I reckon) nothing matters more than how effective the result is.

Quote:
We're talking about a Country with a server lack of jobs and many qualified people. its that lil extra bit of sociability which will determine your job.
Ain't that a pity? I mean... you learn how to do something, you're meant to be paid for that, but instead it is your social abilities that counts. That's not right, in my opinion, but as you said, it is a complete different culture, they see things differently and it's cool, I don't have a problem with that if they like it this way, but that looks unfair to me.

Quote:
Were talking about people who go to school in their own country and cant get jobs there, and also have very slim chance of getting jobs else where.
Ooooook, I take that back. The Government should make sure every citizen is able to get a job in the country they were born but that does not necessarly mean that they have to lock themselves away from the rest of the world cause that would not be helping their economy either.

I know it's not as easy as it seems though, considering Japan's current situation.

Who's to blame if high-degreed people can't get a decent job? Being a taxi driver ain't what someone with a Medical Degree deserves, but that's for the Japanese Government to solve. That's what overpopulated countries have to face, it's always been like that.

[I've never been to Japan, but when the time comes for it to happen I'll sure as hell won't be going to McDonald's xDDDD]

Quote:
Know that Japanese Business Culture is different from any other.
Yeah you did a good job making me realize

If you want a high rank job in a company, either you're the boss's child or you've got to earn it by working your ass off. Fact.

Anyway, I think you got the point I wanted to make clear.

Quote:
well maybe you picked it up easy, and thats great
Yeah it might just come easy to me, but meh... I'm one in a milion lol

Now seriously, English is by far the easiest language I've ever heard of.

Quote:
Try explaining the 10 phrases i listed above to some one who doesn't speak the language natively.
Well you just tell them that some words can be used as nouns and verbs. And then it's all about preposition usage.

Quote:
i respect you and your point of views, you picked my post apart, which is cool. and i did my best to try to not be preachy and educate people more on the Cultural influences in Japanese business sense.
Just letting you know you actually suceeded at that...

Quote:
thank you for reading
My pleasure.

Can I adopt you as my private lawyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
That's interesting. I have been an translator for a couple years now and have worked with dozens of Japanese people who are estatic to work with an non-Japanese who speaks and can read and write Japanese. Trust has never been an issue.
Good for you, but I'm not making shit up when I say that many (not all of them, of course) Japanese people prefer to work with someone they can be sure will understand their cultural stuff, rather than a western person who knows nothing but their language.

everything is relative and contradictory ~

Last edited by Suki : 08-17-2007 at 04:33 PM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-17-2007, 05:40 PM

no just caucasians who come to my country and think their in
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-17-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Yeah, I did know that. My uncle went on a bussiness trip to Japan and told me all about it, and if I'm not mistaken, Liza Dalby (first non-Japanese woman to become a geisha) also points that out in her book.

I think professionality should be their priority, and forget about their cultural differences, because when it comes to bussiness (or at least that's what I reckon) nothing matters more than how effective the result is.

Ain't that a pity? I mean... you learn how to do something, you're meant to be paid for that, but instead it is your social abilities that counts. That's not right, in my opinion, but as you said, it is a complete different culture, they see things differently and it's cool, I don't have a problem with that if they like it this way, but that looks unfair to me.

Ooooook, I take that back. The Government should make sure every citizen is able to get a job in the country they were born but that does not necessarly mean that they have to lock themselves away from the rest of the world cause that would not be helping their economy either.

I know it's not as easy as it seems though, considering Japan's current situation.

Who's to blame if high-degreed people can't get a decent job? Being a taxi driver ain't what someone with a Medical Degree deserves, but that's for the Japanese Government to solve. That's what overpopulated countries have to face, it's always been like that.

[I've never been to Japan, but when the time comes for it to happen I'll sure as hell won't be going to McDonald's xDDDD]

Yeah you did a good job making me realize

If you want a high rank job in a company, either you're the boss's child or you've got to earn it by working your ass off. Fact.

Anyway, I think you got the point I wanted to make clear.

Yeah it might just come easy to me, but meh... I'm one in a milion lol

Now seriously, English is by far the easiest language I've ever heard of.

Well you just tell them that some words can be used as nouns and verbs. And then it's all about preposition usage.

Just letting you know you actually suceeded at that...

My pleasure.

Can I adopt you as my private lawyer?

Good for you, but I'm not making shit up when I say that many (not all of them, of course) Japanese people prefer to work with someone they can be sure will understand their cultural stuff, rather than a western person who knows nothing but their language.

haha ill be happy to be your private lawyer=)

*check the sig*=)

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Shiningmonkey (Offline)
Inventor of the s'moredog

08-17-2007, 06:37 PM

I agree with what you have to say. I hate it when ignorant Americans make others look bad. I think alot of americans can be such racist fools a lot of the time.*sigh*
(#27 (permalink))
Old
GourdBreaker (Offline)
New to JF

08-18-2007, 04:51 PM

i think it's a must for a foreigner to research about a country and its culture before he goes traveling there.

[sorry if i posted tho' im not japanese, hehe. just can't help it... ^^]
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-19-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GourdBreaker View Post
i think it's a must for a foreigner to research about a country and its culture before he goes traveling there.

[sorry if i posted tho' im not japanese, hehe. just can't help it... ^^]

it wouldn't hurt to do so. you don't want to accidentally offend any one

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Leocadia (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Leocadia Send a message via Yahoo to Leocadia
08-20-2007, 02:22 AM

This might be a little late and off topic...but America is a pretty bad example. The reason why everbody is so crazy over Mexicans coming is b/c we can't even give jobs to our own citizens and we still are just pooring money into Mexico. Same thing with the African thing. Everybody is complaining that we need to fundraise mone for kids in Africa when our kids aren't being fed themselves. IF you've gone through the trouble of going to college and all that stuff then you should get the job...but the ILLEGAL Mexicans don't have any of that college credentials and they get underpade b/c they are illegal.

Anyways, like I said America is a bad example and if you do meet a racist or just a jerk, it's not b/c everyone is ;D

Where I live the racist people are the Hmongs, they don't allow their children to have a relationship with anyone who isn't Hmong for no specific reason. The Mexicans (yes there are illegal and regular citizens) are ok except for the gangs and I absolutely hate how they tease anyone whom tries to learn Spanish.There is a lot of Mexican people whom call there children lost b/c they no English and live in America because THEY we to poor to support their family in Mexico. Where I live, this is the major population. As for me, I am a mutt of everything except East Indian.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
08-24-2007, 10:24 PM

Sorry for raising this thread as it was deeply buried but there's something I've been wandering after reading Leocadia's post. That very same thing happens in Spain, it's on the TV every single day even though t's no news anymore. People from Northern Africa arrive here with nothing but hope of a better life and they don't know they've been fooled til they are forced to face the truth, which is far from being what they'd been told.

As for what GourdBreaker said, I agree as long as it doesn't involve moral issues. Arabian people come here and they're allowed to wear their clothing and such, but then when we travell to their countries they won't let us dress the way we want to cause they find it insulting. Something's wrong here, if they can do it without being told off, why can't we?

[Oh sorry, I just realized how offtopic that was... ]

everything is relative and contradictory ~

Last edited by Suki : 08-24-2007 at 10:26 PM.