LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-02-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnohara View Post
When I was in Japan I didn't see a single one of those signs, and I was never denied access to some place because of my nationality.
For the record, I heard those signs were technically made illegal 15 years ago, and you can report them to the authorities as discrimination? At least that's what I read.

You dodn't worrry about it.

My experiencec was with the really old guys in a very traditional country area.

Japanese people are fantastic, and like I said, discrimination is a little bit Taboo in Japan due to the history.

It's looked upon as being a very bad thing..

Those signs I believe are mainly in country fishing towns.. very old minded cultural Japanese..

What those signs REALLY mean is: "All undesirables Keep Out".

It's the translation that many foreigners get stcuk with..

three apartmenst where I live have Japanese people in.

My mates wife down the road, eightenn years is from Japan. My sons friends in the house around the corner are Japanese.

We all hate the local black guys, but it really is accepted here..

Some people hate Japanese, Americans, Aboriginies, Koreans, whatever..

Who cares...

I take people for who they are and not what they look like..

I love Japanese style.. If someone is noisy, rude, dirty, bad, get rid of em...

Cheers - Oz
(#62 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-02-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eako View Post
Yah so. If a none Japanese person can speak japanese fluently, read it and speak it well and such. And was familiar with customs ect. Can they go into a place with "Japanese only"?

If they blend into Japanese society like average Japanese person, can they go to places such as those? If they live in Japan for a long time and they are married to a Japanese person and they have japanese passport, can they go into places with signs?
Girly, 126'000'000 people in Japan.

You would be lucky to find six of those signs, and even then, Japanese wouldn;' agree..

Go to Japan and expect to be treated like a queen..

they will luv you...

Lovely people, the most honest in the world, full of culture and the best ways, super safe, all FOREIGNERS welcome

Cheers - Oz
(#63 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-02-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Probably depends on what they mean by "Japanese", Someone born there would certainly be "culturally" Japanese but wouldn't have to be racially "Japanese". So what's the distinction?

That's why I think being American isn't anything about race so much as "Belief", Americanism is kinda like a relgion in some reguards, wich is why I never believed American's were born, but rather made.

Japan on the other hand, has been "racially" Japanese for millinia, so it's simply a natural order of things for them. While the US has been a hoge podge pretty much from it's birth. The two nations are practically exact oppisites in many ways. This difference might be what causes much of the frustrations.
It's iddifcult to udnerstand.. I once had a Japanese firend who couldn't stand Japanese! Work that one out

Cheers - Oz
(#64 (permalink))
Old
sdbri (Offline)
New to JF

12-09-2009, 02:00 AM

Personally speaking, I've never had any trouble going anywhere for not being Japanese. Occasionally I have for not speaking Japanese, but I proved this distinction by learning it. Had no problem since.

I've never seen a "Japanese only" sign in Japan in all my years, although I know they used to exist and perhaps you can still find one. That said, there are definitely "English only" signs in the US, and certainly a ton of "whites only" signs in the past. These things are usually a matter of time before they disappear in modern societies.

Interestingly enough, there are often signs saying you can't have a tattoo (which is associated with Yakuza). They make very bad customers.
(#65 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-13-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbri View Post
I've never seen a "Japanese only" sign in Japan in all my years, although I know they used to exist and perhaps you can still find one.
I believe that they were only associated with Onsen Towns on the coast which were often frequented by brawny and boisturous Russina sailors.

The problem started with these Russian Fisherman getting drunk on Vodka and Sake within the bath, and basiccaly getting out of control and making a nuisance of themselves.

I believe it started with one sign on one establishemnt, and then other's followed.

I do not think such a sign would be tolerated, and ideally would be frowned upon by locals in larger cities in Japan.

Cheers - Oz