JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
homarcus (Offline)
New to JF

Osaka/Kyoto - 02-17-2016, 02:31 PM

I & my family from Hong Kong will arrive Osaka at Kansai int'l Airport, go straight to Kyoto where we'll stay for a few days, then go back to Osaka. Please help:

(1) how do we go from Kansai Int'l Airport to Kyoto (Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto), by airport bus or JR (which route?)?
(2) assume can take JR back to Osaka?
(3) does any JR Pass cover transportation between Osaka and Kyoto?
(4) if yes, which JR Pass should we buy?

Appreciate if any additional useful information can be provided. Many thanks.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-19-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homarcus View Post
I & my family from Hong Kong will arrive Osaka at Kansai int'l Airport, go straight to Kyoto where we'll stay for a few days, then go back to Osaka. Please help:

(1) how do we go from Kansai Int'l Airport to Kyoto (Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto), by airport bus or JR (which route?)?
(2) assume can take JR back to Osaka?
(3) does any JR Pass cover transportation between Osaka and Kyoto?
(4) if yes, which JR Pass should we buy?

Appreciate if any additional useful information can be provided. Many thanks.
You can take the train from Osaka airport to Shin Osaka station, and catch the Shinkansen (bullet train) from there. From Kyoto station, simply take a taxi to your Hotel. Kyoto is not a large city, the hotel is actually walking distance from the station (though a long walk), a taxi is easier if you are carrying bags.

You can get tickets for the train and bullet train at the train station in the airport. If you don't speak Japanese, they can understand English, and can help you buy the tickets you will need, as well as give you any more advice you might want.

I don't like to take the highway buses, trains are more convenient.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
homarcus (Offline)
New to JF

02-19-2016, 02:12 PM

Thank you for the advice.
Does a "Icoca & Haruka" package or a Kansai Rail Pass serve my purpose? It goes directly from Kansai Airport to Kyoto instead of from airport to Shin Osaka station before catching a bullet train,would it be quicker?
Thanks again.

Last edited by homarcus : 02-19-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Provide additional information.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-20-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homarcus View Post
Thank you for the advice.
Does a "Icoca & Haruka" package or a Kansai Rail Pass serve my purpose? It goes directly from Kansai Airport to Kyoto instead of from airport to Shin Osaka station before catching a bullet train,would it be quicker?
Thanks again.
The bullet train would be faster, though it is less direct. If you get a JR pass, it can be used for both local trains and the bullet train. A JR pass also works for the Haruka limited express, if you decide to use it. The bullet train is an interesting experience if you have never tried it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
homarcus (Offline)
New to JF

02-20-2016, 10:41 AM

Thank you, Will explore in more details.