JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Genkki (Offline)
New to JF

Differentiating between meanings - 04-27-2016, 01:18 PM

I've been reading a Japanese children's book that someone on here suggested to me, and it's been helping me a lot. I've been translating it ok, at least I think so anyway, until I realised something. I translated this '一軒のアメ屋がありました' as something along the lines of there was a candy shop, but then I saw this 'アメ屋さん' later on. Is 'アメ屋' a name, as in Ameya, or does it mean candy shop? Unless it means something completely different, then I guess I'm not doing too well, but please tell me anyway, thanks.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
04-29-2016, 01:10 AM

"アメ屋" is not the name of the candy shop but meaning a candy shop generally.

When the name of the shop shall be written, it would be "JF屋というアメ屋がありました。" for example.

Do I make the answer as you expected?

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Genkki (Offline)
New to JF

05-01-2016, 03:38 PM

Ah, sorry, that wasn't what I meant. In the sentence '一軒のアメ屋がありました', the main parts are '一軒', which means a house, 'アメ', which means candy, '屋', which means store/shop, and of course 'の' and 'がありました', but that that isn't really important right now. However, later on, it says 'アメ屋さん', which has the honorific of 'san' and is only applied to people. So, does the first sentence say something along the lines of 'There was a house who was owned by Ameya' or 'There was a candy shop', and then, later on, does 'アメ屋さん' mean there is a person called Ameya, or does it mean something else? I'm just confused because 'アメ屋' is used twice, but they can't mean the same thing since one of them has 'san' on the end of it.