JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Question Japanese politics- What is your political impression of Japan? Why? - 09-25-2007, 11:58 PM

With the swearing in of the new Japanese prime minister, I think now is a good time to talk about Japanese politics.

Politically I know little about Japan.

I admire their pacifist constitution.
I do not admire their failure to take responsibility for their war crimes (unlike Germany who has pretty much fully redeemed itself in Europe and around the world, Japan's political reputation in Asia is not that great which is a shame). I'm quite the Liberal and it is my understanding that Japan is essentially a very Conservative country.

I suppose the questions I want to put out there are-

What is your political impression of Japan? Why do you have that impression?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

09-26-2007, 12:39 PM

I think they have been secretive of their traditions and such. I don't care though if they take responsibility for their actions during the war or not. They paid the price and are now part of the richest nations of the world (2nd to be exact). What was done to them was far worse.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-26-2007, 02:40 PM

I don't care either, personally at least.

Many Asians do though.

I think that as much as I admire the culture, Japan is a disgrace politically.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
QuoyaNatsume (Offline)
<==========="Gimm e Sugar"

Send a message via MSN to QuoyaNatsume
09-26-2007, 05:21 PM

Well I think they R very secretive and a little over competetive
They r trying to rush their travel to the moon thing and if sloppily done they will suffer very severe consiquences as well as Economical setback.
They are trying to inhabit the moon and then focus on mars.What they need to be focusing on is how to create more energy on Earth instead trying to be the first to set up shop on the moon!!!

MOM-Yuri Yurir-IonFortuna
Stalker To-Excessum GirlFriend to-TheUnknown
Crazy Brother-Narutocrazy101
Big Brother-SeeD
Gatekeeper-animedude3 -Tasty Cream Pie To-Diru0gaze
Son-Thunda Talkative romantic brother-Powermad147
Auntie-tiki808 Auntie to-Eiri& ML
Kittie w/ Wings-Hoshichan 'ly Camera Vixen- Pjok
+~Member of the Tenjho Tenge Clan
Member-Maya Natsume+~
Member of the THE PERVY CLUB!!
~+MeMbEr Of ThE VaMpIrE cLaN+~
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-26-2007, 06:51 PM

I think that they are very,how can I say that,"Diplomatic",and that they have certain goals and they are willing to do anything to achieve those goals!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

09-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Yes they are very diplomatic, a contrast to their history. Japan also has a large eccentric stereotype and its quite true to how things there are handled nowadays. The media controls Japan like mostly anywhere else but to an extent that it influences people and is accepted into everyday life, taking eccentricity to an extreme. Not all of this is bad but it may be the basis of them not focusing on current problems in the world and trying to get their "shop on the moon". I think most people find escapism in that eccentricity in Japan and is one of the reasons why people are in love with their culture now, more than ever before.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-26-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
Yes they are very diplomatic, a contrast to their history. Japan also has a large eccentric stereotype and its quite true to how things there are handled nowadays. The media controls Japan like mostly anywhere else but to an extent that it influences people and is accepted into everyday life, taking eccentricity to an extreme. Not all of this is bad but it may be the basis of them not focusing on current problems in the world and trying to get their "shop on the moon". I think most people find escapism in that eccentricity in Japan and is one of the reasons why people are in love with their culture now, more than ever before.
Interesting... that makes sense though I never thought of it like that.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-26-2007, 10:54 PM

Japanese life and politics are not as closely tied (at least that is the general opinion of the population) as it is in other countries. Despite the call that Japan was in a nose dive economically, that was mostly proven untrue. There was a dip for about 15 years, but they always remained among the strongest economic powers.

Most people don't vote. Politicians are not trusted, and much of the economic problems Japan did have fromn the early 90s until recently was due to government bailout of bad loans and dummy corporations...many of which had politicians involved.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

Enter Mr. Fukuda the new Premier - 09-26-2007, 11:57 PM

Harkening back to the old days of backroom smoke filled politics the 'Liberal D emocratic Party' which suffered a stinging defeat in last July elections of Japans upper house in Parliment choose Yasuo Fukuda many weeks ago but as of Sept 24th the news is official. The 'Liberal Democratic Party' suffered almost a year of being led almost from one disaster to another under the late PM Abe, best described as a 'nationalist' could'nt stand the pressure. Abe who resigned almost 11 days ago under a cloud will be replaced by Fukuda who will not pursue expanding Japans military and all the programs under Abe to pursue Japans expanision beyond its pacifist consitution will be shelved. Facing the worst crisis in over a half century the ruling 'Liberal Democratic Party' must find a way to instill new life into their government in the face of growing strength from the opposition and their own failures.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

Impressions are misleading - 09-27-2007, 07:27 PM

Japan last elections in July 07' that was best described as ' devasting ' effect on the ruling Liberal Democratic Party and late PM Abe only confirms that as early as Sept. 06' Japans actual economic growth was not correct and reported numbers - for these fisical quarters were being ' manipulated' the correct number instead of being a healthy economic growth of .05 % per fiscal quarter was actually less than half of this number .02 % This correction was noted by the BOJ Bank of Japan ( This is Japans central bank ) but somehow slipped under the radar. Economic growth for Japan in 07' is forcasted as acceptable? In reality the loss of ruling party in last July 07' elections and subseqent meltdown and resignation of PM Abe with the BOJ raising interest rates ( July 18 07' ) tell a different story of reality about Japans latest economic growth rate? As of this date the actual figures show Japans actuall economic growth rate as Sept. 07' Minus 1.2 percent negative annual growth rate? Japans Stock Exchange between July and Sept 07' lost 10% of its value? Hello ' Recession '.

Last edited by fluffy0000 : 09-27-2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: edit