JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

02-12-2008, 11:48 PM

I never figured it would be easy. I figured a foreigner would have to work twice as hard to get accepted, though I didn't think it would apply to me since I was visiting as part of a Sister City thing. I was still nervous as ever though. Because if anywhere in the world I wanted to leave a good impression, it was in Japan.

Then when I come back from Japan and feel like the biggest Japanophile ever, and sign up for loads of Japanforums, everyone's so divided, and not very Japanophile like. It's always "Japan's against foreigners", "such and such politician said this", "omg fingerprinting", "omg nationalist comics", "omg no foreigner allowed signs", "omg weeaboos can't stand them, I may like this one teeny aspect of Japan a little bit, but I'm no Japanophile, I hate everything else".

It really wears at a person you know. I like Japanese culture as much as I ever did, but it feels like I'm just being surrounded by negativeness when I try to go on the internet in search of Japanese culture.

The Japan-interest-internet community is just too divided I say. The Sister City is for a wonderful concept, cultural exchange. So that walls between people lessen. The Sister City thing is meant to create allophilia. But when I come on the internet, I'm drenched in my fears that nobody in Japan would like me because I'm foreign, I feel like people in the Sister City thing were just nice to me because they were supposed to, I feel like it's not ok to enjoy any aspects of Japanese culture, much less do something like learn the language.

And it's horrible, I hate this feeling. I came onto the internet because it could give me Japanese things I can't go to wal*mart and buy. It can give me things I would have to wait to return to Japan to enjoy. And what have I become, self conscious about a bunch of stupid crap on the internet. My homestay family should slap me!

You know what, Japan may have some problems. I always knew that. But guess what, I don't care. Japan has problems, so what? Remember I accepted that about Japan a long time ago. And personally, I'm tired of hearing every little bad thing about Japan all the time, and words like weeaboo, wapanese and japanophile being flung around as insults all the time.

You know what, I went to Japan. I didn't stay that long, but the time I stayed there wasn't so bad. Maybe some people have had discrimination against foreigners. Whatever. There's good and bad to be found in every country. Why does Japan have to be perfect for some people to appreciate and enjoy it's culture?

I'm tired of getting bogged down and feeling emo about all the negatives. I'm not blaming you acidreptile for making this topic. When you hear some people saying "I went to Japan, and faced nothing and it was great" while others go on about how "Japan is so God-awful racist" it really makes you wonder.

In fact, it seems that way about every aspect of Japan. I've read and read and read about Japan, but the more I read, the more confused I feel.

I'm sorry, I really needed this rant to feel better. I'm in a really cruddy mood.

Q: Who cares what other people think?!?!
A: Japanese people do.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

02-16-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post
f*ing christ..

*Trying not to laugh* Lol

MY JF FAMILY and Fellow Pervs
http://www.freewebs.com/fantasyfact/jffamily.htm
Perv Dance
1 2 3 step step jump step step grope step step touch step step kiss and *SLap!!!
fantasyfact.proboards54.com
(#43 (permalink))
Old
hypekstatic (Offline)
The Zainichi

02-16-2008, 06:01 AM

Don't other countries discriminate?
I know it's about JAPAN but really whether it's a country's government
or the common people, it really doesn't matter. You can enjoy their culture
regardless. I mean let me take my own culture for example, Korea is a racist
motherfcukin country dude.... teenagers talk shit about foreigners, chinese,
japanese, left and right. Everyone is really prideful there (well except if you
go to Incheon, the urban areas are full of youth "GANJI" (street kids) and they
try to recreate a Korean ATLANTA. lol (meaning they all try to look black xD))
I have to deal with both ends of the stick cuz i know Korea is racist towards
Japan but regardless of what they think or say, I still love Japanese culture
and honestly, screw what they say. If you like Japan, you like Japan... even
if Japanese people aren't your biggest fan, who cares? You don't just stop
watching Anime just because you meet a Japanese racist right? Nor would I
stop eating burritos if I found out that Mexicans hated Koreans. Racism will
always be emiminent in life, you just have to look past it.

"hey souljah boy, can i.... YAHH TRICK YAHHH!!!!!"
(#44 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

02-16-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypekstatic View Post
Don't other countries discriminate?
I know it's about JAPAN but really whether it's a country's government
or the common people, it really doesn't matter. You can enjoy their culture
regardless. I mean let me take my own culture for example, Korea is a racist
motherfcukin country dude.... teenagers talk shit about foreigners, chinese,
japanese, left and right. Everyone is really prideful there (well except if you
go to Incheon, the urban areas are full of youth "GANJI" (street kids) and they
try to recreate a Korean ATLANTA. lol (meaning they all try to look black xD))
I have to deal with both ends of the stick cuz i know Korea is racist towards
Japan but regardless of what they think or say, I still love Japanese culture
and honestly, screw what they say. If you like Japan, you like Japan... even
if Japanese people aren't your biggest fan, who cares? You don't just stop
watching Anime just because you meet a Japanese racist right? Nor would I
stop eating burritos if I found out that Mexicans hated Koreans. Racism will
always be emiminent in life, you just have to look past it.

Ahmen to dat. >.> <.<

MY JF FAMILY and Fellow Pervs
http://www.freewebs.com/fantasyfact/jffamily.htm
Perv Dance
1 2 3 step step jump step step grope step step touch step step kiss and *SLap!!!
fantasyfact.proboards54.com
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Thunda (Offline)
Don't bother reading

Send a message via MSN to Thunda
02-16-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kireikoori View Post
I never figured it would be easy. I figured a foreigner would have to work twice as hard to get accepted, though I didn't think it would apply to me since I was visiting as part of a Sister City thing. I was still nervous as ever though. Because if anywhere in the world I wanted to leave a good impression, it was in Japan.

Then when I come back from Japan and feel like the biggest Japanophile ever, and sign up for loads of Japanforums, everyone's so divided, and not very Japanophile like. It's always "Japan's against foreigners", "such and such politician said this", "omg fingerprinting", "omg nationalist comics", "omg no foreigner allowed signs", "omg weeaboos can't stand them, I may like this one teeny aspect of Japan a little bit, but I'm no Japanophile, I hate everything else".

It really wears at a person you know. I like Japanese culture as much as I ever did, but it feels like I'm just being surrounded by negativeness when I try to go on the internet in search of Japanese culture.

The Japan-interest-internet community is just too divided I say. The Sister City is for a wonderful concept, cultural exchange. So that walls between people lessen. The Sister City thing is meant to create allophilia. But when I come on the internet, I'm drenched in my fears that nobody in Japan would like me because I'm foreign, I feel like people in the Sister City thing were just nice to me because they were supposed to, I feel like it's not ok to enjoy any aspects of Japanese culture, much less do something like learn the language.

And it's horrible, I hate this feeling. I came onto the internet because it could give me Japanese things I can't go to wal*mart and buy. It can give me things I would have to wait to return to Japan to enjoy. And what have I become, self conscious about a bunch of stupid crap on the internet. My homestay family should slap me!

You know what, Japan may have some problems. I always knew that. But guess what, I don't care. Japan has problems, so what? Remember I accepted that about Japan a long time ago. And personally, I'm tired of hearing every little bad thing about Japan all the time, and words like weeaboo, wapanese and japanophile being flung around as insults all the time.

You know what, I went to Japan. I didn't stay that long, but the time I stayed there wasn't so bad. Maybe some people have had discrimination against foreigners. Whatever. There's good and bad to be found in every country. Why does Japan have to be perfect for some people to appreciate and enjoy it's culture?

I'm tired of getting bogged down and feeling emo about all the negatives. I'm not blaming you acidreptile for making this topic. When you hear some people saying "I went to Japan, and faced nothing and it was great" while others go on about how "Japan is so God-awful racist" it really makes you wonder.

In fact, it seems that way about every aspect of Japan. I've read and read and read about Japan, but the more I read, the more confused I feel.

I'm sorry, I really needed this rant to feel better. I'm in a really cruddy mood.
Oh that made sense.

:'D

Man I'm busy as hell. Hit me up on MSN or pm me.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
02-16-2008, 04:27 PM

I wonder why there is a korea-boom in japan.. since koreans is racist.. japanese people is really open-minded///

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#47 (permalink))
Old
hypekstatic (Offline)
The Zainichi

02-16-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyo_9 View Post
I wonder why there is a korea-boom in japan.. since koreans is racist.. japanese people is really open-minded///

well of course koreans in japan arent racist....
you know america is a racist country that is pro-"white people"
yet not everyone on the streets is considered 'racist.'
im just saying that majority of koreans in SOUTH KOREA
have negative perspective towards Japan because of HISTORY.
My dad is Zainichi Korean, one of the "BOOMS" you are referring to.
My grandfather was well respected by Japanese confederates and my family
isn't racist towards anyone actually. I grew up in a dominatly african american/
white community in the east coast. Not every Korean looks at Japanese
people badly. They just have pride in themselves.

"hey souljah boy, can i.... YAHH TRICK YAHHH!!!!!"
(#48 (permalink))
Old
Joedirt (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2008, 04:05 PM

Racism is in every country.