JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

02-15-2008, 02:25 PM

If I was her, I wouldn't be so stupid as to go on a ride with a stranger in the first place.

MY JF FAMILY and Fellow Pervs
http://www.freewebs.com/fantasyfact/jffamily.htm
Perv Dance
1 2 3 step step jump step step grope step step touch step step kiss and *SLap!!!
fantasyfact.proboards54.com
(#12 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
02-15-2008, 02:39 PM

sometimes I just dont want to believe what the media says coz there is a lot of crap! to me, they are both wrong and should be punished for the mistakes they did..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-15-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Well, in all fairness, 2 cases 13 years apart, out of thousands and thousands of soldiers based there, isn't too horrible a record IMO. No matter how much discipline there is, you'll always have some jerks who get through. The important thing is that it's handled properly, and they turned him over for prosecution, so it sounds like they aren't covering it up or anything.
These may be the two BIG cases, but you almost constantly hear about smaller cases. There isn`t any chance for people to put these things at the back of their mind when every week *something* happens.
I have heard about a number of similar cases near bases where in the end the girl backed down because the US government refused to take it seriously... Even if they don`t get the international treatment of the big cases, they are enough to sour everyone`s opinions of the soldiers stationed here.

It`s not even so much the events themselves, but more the attitude of the US government when it comes to dealing with things. I remember a case of some old woman being beaten up (not to death, but pretty badly) for trying to close her shop at it`s normal time when there was a group of soldiers drinking there... They snapped and beat her to a pulp when she asked them to leave. The US government basically ignored the case, and I vaguely recall them saying something to the effect of "She must be mistaken" (It was 4 or 5 years ago, so please excuse the poor memory of details.) Japanese police wanted to prosecute, but the soldiers in question were skirted away to a different assignment, so nothing ever happened.

It`s their general lack of concern into what happens off base. There seems to be an attitude of "We can do anything here, the law doesn`t apply to us." - and in some ways, they`re almost right... In the end, the US just responds by reassigning them. As they insist on handling things outside of Japanese law, with their own on base system, the law really doesn`t apply to them.

It`s sickening in a way. The only time the US actually does something about it is when it becomes this big.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

02-15-2008, 03:14 PM

It doesn't really what that person was, his nationality and where he was.

No matter the country, or nationality, it is still rape and should be strongly punished. I'm sure there are many japanese men that have been caught before, that raped girls just like that guy did. There are in every country.

It's still sad to hear when it happens.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Guza (Offline)
WTF!?

Send a message via AIM to Guza Send a message via MSN to Guza
02-15-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibaInu View Post
Okinawa rape case sparks resentment

By KAHO SHIMIZU
Staff writer
A U.S. Marine who allegedly raped a 14-year-old Okinawa girl was turned over to prosecutors Tuesday in a case that has prompted government officials to voice outrage and warn the incident could affect the Japan-U.S. alliance and the reorganization of U.S. bases in the prefecture.

The arrest Monday of Staff Sgt. Tyrone Hadnott, 38, for the suspected rape of a local junior high school girl Sunday night has rekindled memories of the 1995 gang rape of a 12-year-old Okinawa girl by three U.S. servicemen, an incident that triggered mass resentment against the U.S. military presence in Okinawa.

Hadnott, based at Camp Courtney, has reportedly denied the accusation.

He is suspected of raping the girl in his car while parked on a street in Chatan at around 10:30 p.m. Sunday. He reportedly approached the girl at around 8:30 p.m. when she was with two friends in a downtown area of the city of Okinawa and rode off with her on his motorbike after offering her a ride home.

Hadnott allegedly took her to his home instead and tried to rape her. The girl started crying and he then took her to his car, saying he would drive her home, police said.

The girl's friends, who were present when Hadnott rode off with her on his motorcycle, reportedly called her mobile phone several times out of concern. They called police at 10:20 p.m. after the girl answered one of their calls and said "help me" before hanging up, Okinawa police said.

Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda, appearing before a Diet committee Tuesday, described the incident as "unforgivable."

"This is not just a crime (allegedly) involving an American soldier. This is an issue that will affect the basis of the Japan-U.S. alliance," Defense Minister Shigeru Ishiba told reporters.

"I think it will require more than just asking the U.S. to reinforce discipline (in the military) and prevent a recurrence," Ishiba said.

In 1995, a 12-year-old girl was raped by three U.S. servicemen, triggering strong protests in Okinawa, which eventually led to the 1996 agreement by both countries on a large-scale relocation of the U.S. bases in Okinawa, including the transfer of the Marine Corps Futenma Air Station within the prefecture.

Ishiba stressed the need for greater involvement by the Japanese government in efforts to ensure the effectiveness of preventive steps taken by the U.S. military.

"The U.S. says they will take countermeasures to prevent a recurrence every time wrongdoings by U.S. servicemen come to light, but I will watch them with indignation to see whether they can truly carry out those measures," Ishiba said.

"I'm not saying that the U.S. is not serious about these incidents . . . but in reality, such an incident happened again, which raises the question of what the U.S. has done in the past."

Foreign Minister Masahiko Komura said the incident could affect the planned realignment of the U.S. military bases in Japan.

"I think we've had enough of these incidents," he said. "The issue of discipline in the U.S. military will remain important wherever the U.S. bases are relocated. They should follow strict discipline."

On Monday, Shinichi Nishimiya, the director general of the North American affairs bureau at the Foreign Ministry, communicated with Joseph Donovan, deputy chief of mission at the U.S. Embassy, and asked the U.S. to strengthen discipline of its military to prevent a recurrence.

Article taken from the following link.

Okinawa rape case sparks resentment | The Japan Times Online
pft...marines
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-15-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
true ... why would she agree on an invitation from a complete stranger ( or is he a complete stranger to her ) ..
Let's not blame the victim. There is no telling what happened and how she got into that situation. She may have been tricked, intimidated or forced...
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

02-15-2008, 09:42 PM

they said this case would affect us-japanese alliance. thats bull, rape is still rape no matter where you are. it'd be the same if he raped someone in the US. but to me it seems like the US doesnt see other people as equals but themselves. they treat the iraqi's like dirt, they hate the mexican people, and my guess is their not going to do anything to the guy who raped her. makes me embarassed to be an american. luckily im only half.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

02-15-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Let's not blame the victim. There is no telling what happened and how she got into that situation. She may have been tricked, intimidated or forced...
but the fact is, if he did rape her, he forceably did it without her consent to do so. even if she did accept a ride, doesnt matter if he was family or a close friend, he still forced it.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

02-15-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotenmemory View Post
If I was her, I wouldn't be so stupid as to go on a ride with a stranger in the first place.
Thats what I'm saying!!!!! lucky basturd *kidding of course*.
It happens though theres really nothing no one can do about it marines go crazy when in training, speacially since you go years with out seeing a woman then all of a sudden Bam your roaming about the town like a crazy person who just got out of jail.

I'm not racist . . . I hate everyone equally.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

02-15-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyousuke View Post
they said this case would affect us-japanese alliance. thats bull, rape is still rape no matter where you are. it'd be the same if he raped someone in the US. but to me it seems like the US doesnt see other people as equals but themselves. they treat the iraqi's like dirt, they hate the mexican people, and my guess is their not going to do anything to the guy who raped her. makes me embarassed to be an american. luckily im only half.
More than likely he will go to court and get about 6 months to a year depending if he has bail or not.

I'm not racist . . . I hate everyone equally.