(#1 (permalink))
Old
ShibaInu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Thumbs down Okinawa rape case sparks resentment - 02-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Okinawa rape case sparks resentment

By KAHO SHIMIZU
Staff writer
A U.S. Marine who allegedly raped a 14-year-old Okinawa girl was turned over to prosecutors Tuesday in a case that has prompted government officials to voice outrage and warn the incident could affect the Japan-U.S. alliance and the reorganization of U.S. bases in the prefecture.

The arrest Monday of Staff Sgt. Tyrone Hadnott, 38, for the suspected rape of a local junior high school girl Sunday night has rekindled memories of the 1995 gang rape of a 12-year-old Okinawa girl by three U.S. servicemen, an incident that triggered mass resentment against the U.S. military presence in Okinawa.

Hadnott, based at Camp Courtney, has reportedly denied the accusation.

He is suspected of raping the girl in his car while parked on a street in Chatan at around 10:30 p.m. Sunday. He reportedly approached the girl at around 8:30 p.m. when she was with two friends in a downtown area of the city of Okinawa and rode off with her on his motorbike after offering her a ride home.

Hadnott allegedly took her to his home instead and tried to rape her. The girl started crying and he then took her to his car, saying he would drive her home, police said.

The girl's friends, who were present when Hadnott rode off with her on his motorcycle, reportedly called her mobile phone several times out of concern. They called police at 10:20 p.m. after the girl answered one of their calls and said "help me" before hanging up, Okinawa police said.

Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda, appearing before a Diet committee Tuesday, described the incident as "unforgivable."

"This is not just a crime (allegedly) involving an American soldier. This is an issue that will affect the basis of the Japan-U.S. alliance," Defense Minister Shigeru Ishiba told reporters.

"I think it will require more than just asking the U.S. to reinforce discipline (in the military) and prevent a recurrence," Ishiba said.

In 1995, a 12-year-old girl was raped by three U.S. servicemen, triggering strong protests in Okinawa, which eventually led to the 1996 agreement by both countries on a large-scale relocation of the U.S. bases in Okinawa, including the transfer of the Marine Corps Futenma Air Station within the prefecture.

Ishiba stressed the need for greater involvement by the Japanese government in efforts to ensure the effectiveness of preventive steps taken by the U.S. military.

"The U.S. says they will take countermeasures to prevent a recurrence every time wrongdoings by U.S. servicemen come to light, but I will watch them with indignation to see whether they can truly carry out those measures," Ishiba said.

"I'm not saying that the U.S. is not serious about these incidents . . . but in reality, such an incident happened again, which raises the question of what the U.S. has done in the past."

Foreign Minister Masahiko Komura said the incident could affect the planned realignment of the U.S. military bases in Japan.

"I think we've had enough of these incidents," he said. "The issue of discipline in the U.S. military will remain important wherever the U.S. bases are relocated. They should follow strict discipline."

On Monday, Shinichi Nishimiya, the director general of the North American affairs bureau at the Foreign Ministry, communicated with Joseph Donovan, deputy chief of mission at the U.S. Embassy, and asked the U.S. to strengthen discipline of its military to prevent a recurrence.

Article taken from the following link.

Okinawa rape case sparks resentment | The Japan Times Online

Japan does not understand very well that one of its proudest cultural achievements is in film--- Akira Kurosawa
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-12-2008, 08:32 PM

Well, in all fairness, 2 cases 13 years apart, out of thousands and thousands of soldiers based there, isn't too horrible a record IMO. No matter how much discipline there is, you'll always have some jerks who get through. The important thing is that it's handled properly, and they turned him over for prosecution, so it sounds like they aren't covering it up or anything.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
zenit (Offline)
i'm evil kyuubi

02-12-2008, 08:41 PM

I just dont care about how many US military are in japan, it is really bad what hapened. They are in another country and the rape will afect not only themselfs and the victim but the relationships of the 2 countries involved.. those guys should be expeled from the army and get a very long jail time.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
02-12-2008, 08:45 PM

Don't matter who that person happens to be. If they are guilty they should be held accountable. If they are not....that'll most likely end up as a whole other mess.

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0
(#5 (permalink))
Old
animelover32 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to animelover32
02-12-2008, 08:59 PM

That's just discusting. He's 25 years older than that girl, even if he wasn't that doesn't give him the right to do what he did. If he did indeed commit the crime he should be punished.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
LiaEsNyappy (Offline)
Crush its legs!!

02-12-2008, 09:42 PM

I say...don't go off with strangers. I don't think it should affect the japan-us alliance. Its a perverted idiot and a naive girl.

Not sure where I am or where I am going...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
zenit (Offline)
i'm evil kyuubi

02-12-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaEsNyappy View Post
I say...don't go off with strangers. I don't think it should affect the japan-us alliance. Its a perverted idiot and a naive girl.
yep.. a really bad combination
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
02-14-2008, 11:27 PM

Ugh. The moment I read that I was disgusted.
I used to hang out with two guys interested in the military who voiced their...erm...desires to "go" with a younger japanese girl.
So...that hit a nerve.

I agree.
Take him out of service.
Put him in jail.
And someone should focus on the poor niave girl more. That can ruin someone, when they're used like that. She may need counseling and compensation...

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
DivineBled (Offline)
Bloody St Elegance

Send a message via Yahoo to DivineBled
02-14-2008, 11:45 PM

i agree. he needs to go to jail. Let back home do whatever they want with him

To listen to D'Narco Revolution:

http://www.myspace.com/dnarcorevolution

To join D'Narco Revolution's fan-club:

http://www.myspace.com/heavenlyhellrenegade

Countdown until D'Narco Revolution 2CD Release:2 months

Countdown to tour: 5 months starting in NY.

Currently: Hanging out with the guys. Working on 2 Additional CD's and 4 Pv's. Packing for Tokyo, leaving for Tokyo Nov. 11,2008
(#10 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-15-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaEsNyappy View Post
true ... why would she agree on an invitation from a complete stranger ( or is he a complete stranger to her ) ..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------