JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

Japan population is going downwards? - 12-20-2006, 10:20 AM

Japan is at the leading edge of a phenomenon that is beginning to strike many advanced countries: rapidly aging populations and dwindling fertility. The size of this country's work force peaked in 1998 and has since entered a decline that experts expect to accelerate.

By midcentury, demographers say, Japan will have 30 percent fewer people, and one million 100-year-olds. By then, 800,000 more people will die each year than are born. By century's end, the United Nations estimates, the present population of 120 million will be cut in half.

Full report here: Insular Japan Needs, but Resists, Immigration

what do you people think of this?

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kainpendragon (Offline)
JF's Ero Sennin

Send a message via AIM to kainpendragon Send a message via MSN to kainpendragon Send a message via Yahoo to kainpendragon
12-20-2006, 01:21 PM

I think this is just a sighn of people not wanting to have kids any more and a result of birth control and i don't think it a japanese thing i think it something all over the world. If you think about it people back in the day used to have 3 to 8 kids and then they would do the same now people are have 1 kid or no kids because they can now have sex with out having kids. Also accpected of homosexual couple are part of this also. two people that can never have kids will not increase the population

for a population to in crease to people have to have at least 3 kids if they all have 1 kid the population in 50 years could be cut in half.

It not such a bad thing i think the world is vastly over populated and it about time it starts to shrink down a little there will be another baby boom eventual.

There are 3 kinds of perverts in this world
1. Those that hid it.
2. Those that accpect.
3. Those that are Ero Sennin
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-20-2006, 04:58 PM

Actually, I think that in Japan`s case, it has little to do with people not wanting children. If you ask almost ANYONE, they want to have kids. It`s a big cultural thing... The problem is that Japan isn`t really too supportive of having children right now. Raising a child in Japan is *incredibly* expensive. Schooling here is not free, or even cheap, and most children go to university. So whenever you consider having a child, you have to consider the huge amount of money that will have to be spent in raising them to adulthood.
I mean, my son is 2 and we`d love to have another child, but it`s just not financially feasible. Our car is too small to fit two car seats (kids stay in them until around 5), so we`d have to buy another car, etc. And Kindergarten starts from 3 - an average of $300/month around here. And we have to save up for Elementary School entry, etc etc.

And what does the government do to support having children? They give you a percentage of the cost of birth, and a little $50 bonus each month. The government encourages everyone to have more children in words, but does nothing in actions. For example, right now the economy is such that both husband and wife working are not uncommon, and almost necessary for a good life. But everything is geared toward a stay-at-home mother... Which, to be honest, is the ideal for most women in Japan. However, as much as they`d like to stay at home the costs of a child are just too high. So they have no choice but to continue working. There are national daycare centers, but really far and few between compared to the number of children. Some have waiting lists of years. So what happens is that couples decide to wait until they have enough money saved up so that the mom can stay at home after a baby is born. That takes a lot of time... By the time they can afford it, they are too old to have 3 kids. One or two years worth of savings is one thing, but 5 or 6 along with the costs for school, children`s insurance, etc etc is just too much.

The government REALLY needs to take a look at what parents NEED in order to have more children or things aren`t going to change. Japan still culturally functions on the "big families are good!" principle, so with the proper support people would have more kids. It`s just the support is not there.

Last edited by Nyororin : 12-20-2006 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ksim4000 (Offline)
New to JF

12-21-2006, 07:36 AM

Actually, a decreased Japanese population will utimately be okay in respects. I consider it to be an issue with nature. Japan is a very small country. Britain is even smaller and only have 65 million or so people living on the island but Japan has, I think, near the actual population size of Russia......114 million, I think, or around that number.....

During World War II, it was 70 million and they say at the current rate, by 2100, the Japanese population could be at 62 million. Really, I don't think ultimately, it is too bad, but aslong as it stays stable. Japan's had it's "growth period". That's over.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Rush (Offline)
New to JF

12-26-2006, 05:06 AM

Meh Japan is small less people means each person can get a room bigger then a cardboard box.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

12-26-2006, 05:44 AM

Negative population growth is a serious issue that, if left to iteslf, will result in the extinction of many western nations native population. Spain for exemple will see it's native population go down by one half in the next 100 years or so, and then further by another half in the followin 50 years if the current trend is maintained. Eventually there will be an extinction of native sapniards in Spain. Other European nation are pretty much in the same boat.

In my homeland the native french are on the way to destruction both from low fertility rate, and emigration. Fortunately there's a trend of wealthy babyboomers who, instead of making their own children, go to China to buy... ooops... "adopt" babies.

But we can foresee a future where the native french population is sidelined just as the First Nations have been.

Now negative population growth may look good considering the problem of world overpopulation, but we must consider this : World population is increasing at prodigious speed overall, in spite of this depopulation in developped nations. So the question begs : Does it change anything for the overpopulated third-world countries? Not at all.

Fertility rate are inversely proportional to national prosperity. The richer nations produce less children because there is no need to churn them out like cheap plastic toys in Chinese factories. Infant survival rates and longevity eliminates the old need for many offsprings.

A key to reduce puopulation growth in under-developped world would pass through increasing prosperity, and education.

As for japan's problem with fertility maybe the guys there could just lay off a bit on the dolls and H games and get close with real Japanese girls. Just a thought.

And if they really like their anime girl pillows over real girls so much then I offer an exchange program between me and Japan. Their problems would then be solved very quickly.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kainpendragon (Offline)
JF's Ero Sennin

Send a message via AIM to kainpendragon Send a message via MSN to kainpendragon Send a message via Yahoo to kainpendragon
12-27-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avary_Ninja View Post
Negative population growth is a serious issue that, if left to iteslf, will result in the extinction of many western nations native population. Spain for exemple will see it's native population go down by one half in the next 100 years or so, and then further by another half in the followin 50 years if the current trend is maintained. Eventually there will be an extinction of native sapniards in Spain. Other European nation are pretty much in the same boat.

In my homeland the native french are on the way to destruction both from low fertility rate, and emigration. Fortunately there's a trend of wealthy babyboomers who, instead of making their own children, go to China to buy... ooops... "adopt" babies.

But we can foresee a future where the native french population is sidelined just as the First Nations have been.

Now negative population growth may look good considering the problem of world overpopulation, but we must consider this : World population is increasing at prodigious speed overall, in spite of this depopulation in developped nations. So the question begs : Does it change anything for the overpopulated third-world countries? Not at all.

Fertility rate are inversely proportional to national prosperity. The richer nations produce less children because there is no need to churn them out like cheap plastic toys in Chinese factories. Infant survival rates and longevity eliminates the old need for many offsprings.

A key to reduce puopulation growth in under-developped world would pass through increasing prosperity, and education.

As for japan's problem with fertility maybe the guys there could just lay off a bit on the dolls and H games and get close with real Japanese girls. Just a thought.

And if they really like their anime girl pillows over real girls so much then I offer an exchange program between me and Japan. Their problems would then be solved very quickly.
I 2nd this exchange program lol =) provided get J - girls tossed my way.

There are 3 kinds of perverts in this world
1. Those that hid it.
2. Those that accpect.
3. Those that are Ero Sennin
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

12-27-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainpendragon View Post
I 2nd this exchange program lol =) provided get J - girls tossed my way.
You and I could set up a benevolent NGO solely for this noble purpose ^_^

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

12-28-2006, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
You seem to be blaming the Japanese men for this non-problem.
Because they are to blame. The First Duty of Man is to obey the Law of the Moose, goes the old Mohawk saying.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-28-2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avary_Ninja View Post
Because they are to blame. The First Duty of Man is to obey the Law of the Moose, goes the old Mohawk saying.
The government is to blame.

Saying it`s because Japanese men don`t screw their girlfriends/wives enough is immature and arrogant on your part.
Oops, I guess maybe you`re just not responsible enough to take care of the children YOU create, whereas Japanese men in general ARE.