JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan News & Events (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-news-events/)
-   -   Should the U.S. forces leave Japan? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-news-events/13477-should-u-s-forces-leave-japan.html)

Joedirt 03-18-2008 12:13 PM

Should the U.S. forces leave Japan?

It is very expensive for the United States to keep its military in Japan. Should the U.S. withdraw its troops and leave Japan? I was stationed in Okinawa back in 1989-1992. We took up a lot of space on the island and most people did not want us there anyway.

I think it is too expensive for the United States to maintain a presence in Japan and Korea.

Tyrien 03-18-2008 01:21 PM

Economy was fine until the Middle East showed up on the war budget.

Unless you have some sort of ulterior aim with this opinion I don't see how it's the top priority on the military's "we're spending too much" list.

Joedirt 03-18-2008 01:43 PM

Keeping our foces in Japan is very costly compared to if the were stationed in the U.S.

The war ended in 1945. How long do we need to keep troops there?

UNaruto1990 03-18-2008 01:44 PM

Personally I would rather US troops to be totally out of Japan, I see no point in having them there, I mean Japan is not a small poor country that needs help, Japan already has one of the strongest and most powerful economies in the world, so I say Japan got to stand up again and protect itself.

Tyrien 03-18-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedirt (Post 430339)
Keeping our foces in Japan is very costly compared to if the were stationed in the U.S.

The war ended in 1945. How long do we need to keep troops there?

Again, the Japan bases are no where near the top of the expenditure list in the US Military budget.

So to cut costs seems like a rather moot point.

EveV 03-18-2008 02:27 PM

I'm not sure really.
Japanese need them for protection.
Regardless if Japan is a prosperous country , the war sort of ruined the worlds trust for them.
Plus I think if the U.S pulled out other countries would try to come in, which could cause a pointless war.

dannavy85 03-18-2008 02:34 PM

If the United States pulled out of Japan....

1. North Korea would attack South Korea.

2. China could effectively blockade Japan into submission.

Japan is a key strategic point in the Pacific rim in order to keep the North Pacific stable. The Japanese understand the seriousness of their position, if they didn't they wouldn't have allowed the USS Washington to be based in Yokosuka.

Gackt21 03-18-2008 02:44 PM

I think the U.S. should be out of Japan they no longer need the U.S. I personally think that my own country needs to mind its own business.

typesblur 03-18-2008 03:19 PM

agree with danavv we are there for strategic placement in case of emergecy we have troops nearby to assist.

chachava 03-18-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannavy85 (Post 430393)
If the United States pulled out of Japan....

1. North Korea would attack South Korea..

How do you work that out? Don't the yanks have bases in South Korea?