JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#91 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-24-2008, 02:44 PM

Hitler has no modern equal. I think the last person to come close was perhaps Pol Pot?
(#92 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
Well to be honest, It's hard to be sympathetic with Americans on this one.
God forbid it was a British soldier. It it were it wouldn't change my opinions about the UK.

Quote:
No the people aren't the same as their government yet what incidents occur throughout the world because of the American governments greed and lack of value of human life, will ultimately be reflected on their country. You can defend America all you like but at the end of the day, how can you defend yourself to one of those people that have been wronged by an American soldier?
I would hope that someone who has been wronged by an American soldier wouldn't carry that stereotype to me. How can I defend myself? Because I am not that person, that's how. When an American serial killer murders someone, how would I defend myself to thier family? The same way. Being born in the same country doesn't make us the same person of the same thinking.

Quote:
They are not likely to think logically if their family has just been wiped out via a bomb and so on. They will just hate America and want it dead. This pattern of prejudice is pretty prevalent through history.
We aren't talking about a bomb here. That is a military decision. This thead is about an AWOL Nigerian soldier stabbing a Japanese taxi driver.

Quote:
People wronged in such a way aren't going to discriminate whether an American is an "upper class" American or one from a poorer area who is less educated about their government.
Surely that is true. I wouldn't either. But if my father were stabbed by a Japanese soldier who had gone AWOL, I wouldn't necessarily carry that stereotype (or say Japanese people were worse than Hitler).

Quote:

So in Japan they see their people being stabbed by American "representatives". It reflects badly on America because those "representatives" have been influenced by America, having grown up there and having learned the values of their country their whole life.
Japanese people are just as intelligent as any other race of people. Does it reflect badly on America? Of course. Are they intelligent enough to separate this incident with the entire USA? Yes. better than JF is, apparently.

Quote:
If this type of conduct is what the Japanese are made aware of through the news or whatever, then obviously they will think there is an underlying problem with Americans and this will cause their prejudice to flourish.
I'm sure if the Japanese did the same in America, they would be stereotyped the same way.
Thankfully both countries are not occupied by people with 5-year-old intellects, so we can be happy this doesn't occur.

Quote:
Now as a by-stander, I can be more receptive toward the fact that there are different types of Americans and not all of them are bad. The fact is though, when threads like these are made, they are made to empathise with the party who has been wronged. If they sound biased, that is the reason why.
Bearing the burden of being branded by a particular people because of others actions is something that goes hand in hand with life. I go through the same thing when a certain crime is outlined and committed by my ethnicity, which I myself would never do. I have to bear it though, as I have been my whole life.
Thanfully JF is not the real world. A few simple-minded people took this post as an excuse to bash the USA. Fortunately the majority of Japanese people aren't as unsophisticated and are able to separate the bad apple from the rest of the tree.
(#93 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
04-24-2008, 04:34 PM

As an american who loves the japanese very much as her own people, that pisses me off.

EDIT:

'kay now I know more.
It wasn't american?
then...hm...
okay.
sorry.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.

Last edited by Kayci : 04-24-2008 at 04:37 PM.
(#94 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-24-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So an American goes nuts in a foreign country and you people are upset that he stabbed the guy instead of shooting him? Because guns are more a part of our cultural imperative? You know, shame on all three of you.
xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Well... killing from a distance is a lot easier. I'm not sure if I'd be capable of stabbing someone to death but I know I would shoot a gun if it was to save my life; and anyways, since Americans are believed to be gun-loving fools (no offence, it's not me saying it; it's an extended belief), it comes as a surprise when one kills without firing a shot... it's like, wow they finally get a "rightful" occasion to use it and they pick a knive instead (or whatever it was he stabbed the guy with).

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#95 (permalink))
Old
Nao (Offline)
JF Regular

04-24-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgamer1984 View Post
I would have told you to shut up, but you have done the job yourself.

Go visit the red cross sites and open your eyes. Just because other countries have done the same; this does not make American actions any better. Lol You are so intelligent, or at least you claim to be one. Do I really have to blow the horn about every thing. Of course US is in Japan because of an agreement, why else would they be there? And btw if you do not stop using insulting language I will report you or I will stoop down to the same level and trust me I really have better insults in my mind. I can not believe your mother went through the pain to bring you into this world; how old are you 5? Don't you know how to engage in discussions? I suppose it must be the fault of your upbrining, or maybe this stupidity runs in the family... I don't blame you, you have my sincerest sympathies.

Btw I am entitled to my opinions and you are to yours. Next time if you resort to such insults, you better think twice, because right now I am open to discussions and playing nice.
Classic indeed, MMM.

Well lets see... sifting through the mesh of grammatical err, I can point out these common attacks/logical fallacies:

-Argumentum ad verecundiam (Argument from authority)
-Argumentum ad hominem (Argument directed at a person rather than the subject at hand)
-Insulting one by insinuating their age is that of a mere child (with, I might add, no account of supporting details (and if there were, I'd feel even more pity for you, considering the situation))

...and I'm sure I could find others if I bothered to read it a second time.

Furthermore, I never stated that it made the American actions any better (nevermind that this was, referencing prior posts, a nigerian with permanant residency in the US, not that it matters). Please, if you're going to try to argue the point, at least hit the veritable target! That one was way off mark.

Your coherency, though vague initially, seems to have deteriorated even further. Please just stop while you're... well, I can't quite say you were ever ahead. Just please, stop, before you embarass yourself any further.

Have a nice day.

-Nao

Last edited by Nao : 04-24-2008 at 05:54 PM.
(#96 (permalink))
Old
Nao (Offline)
JF Regular

04-24-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
They did, and they were. And still are, by many people. Including my maternal grandfather.

December 7th, 1941. Most people know it as "Pearl Harbor."

I certainly don't blame all Japanese, and I personally don't even blame Hirohito or the Imperial Family. I pretty much blame Tojo's shogunate delusions.
If this ends up being a double post, sorry folks.

I know what you mean. My maternal grandfather, as well, was in WWII. Had an aircraft carrier he was an officer on sink by way of torpedo. He survived, leading many of his men to safety. I (quite obviously) don't blame Japan at all - just the whacked out decisions that they made during that time. My grandfather, even though he did harbor ill feelings toward the Japanese in many senses until his death, did soften about the matter a little bit, and was not outright angry and rude toward Japanese people.

If you or anyone else is interested in reading, he was commissioned on the USS WASP during this period of his career.

Edit: Found an article about it on Wiki! Didn't know this existed. USS Wasp (CV-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
(#97 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-25-2008, 12:45 AM

The wasp is very famous among middies and young officers. You should be very proud.
(#98 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-25-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Well... killing from a distance is a lot easier. I'm not sure if I'd be capable of stabbing someone to death but I know I would shoot a gun if it was to save my life; and anyways, since Americans are believed to be gun-loving fools (no offence, it's not me saying it; it's an extended belief), it comes as a surprise when one kills without firing a shot... it's like, wow they finally get a "rightful" occasion to use it and they pick a knive instead (or whatever it was he stabbed the guy with).
I love it when people say "No offense" and the proceed to say something offensive.

"No offense, but I am going to help promote this negative stereotype."

How can you say "It's not me saying it" when it is exactly YOU saying it?
Take responsibility for your arguments and don't hide behind what "other people say".
(#99 (permalink))
Old
Nao (Offline)
JF Regular

04-25-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
The wasp is very famous among middies and young officers. You should be very proud.
I knew it was known in some circles, but it appears it's much more well known than I was aware of. My grandfather served in the Navy, and later in the State Department. I don't know all the details of his work with the State Department... some he couldn't talk about. I know he and my mother/rest of family traveled along on diplomatic passports in places like Egypt, Germany, Beirut (Lebanon), England, and some other places I can't quite pick off the top of my head. My mother and her family had to be evacuated from Beirut because of a conflict, I recall her telling me that much as well. My grandfather, if I remember correctly, was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. I also recall that my grandmother's funeral attracted people from all over the world (primarily Europe, the U.S. (of course), and the middle east). Other than that, I don't really know all that much about it.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply.
Closed Thread