(#1 (permalink))
Old
ShintoCanadianmale (Offline)
JF Old Timer

20 teachers punished over 'Kimigayo' row - 04-01-2008, 06:55 PM

20 teachers punished over 'Kimigayo' row

By KAZUAKI NAGATA
Staff writer
Twenty public school teachers were punished for disobeying an order to stand and face the flag during the singing of the national anthem in graduation ceremonies in March, the Tokyo board of education said Monday.

The punishments ranged from a 10 percent salary cut for between one and six months to six-month suspensions from work and nonrenewal of contracts for temporary or part-time workers.

The board decided on the penalties during a meeting Friday.

The board has been punishing teachers since ordering public school principals in October 2003 to instruct teachers and students to stand and sing "Kimigayo" at graduation and entrance ceremonies.

About 400 teachers have been punished so far.

There was speculation this year that Kimiko Nezu, a home economics teacher at Minamiosawa Gakuen School for Children With Special Needs, might be dismissed for having defied the order since October 2003.

Instead, she was suspended Monday for six months.

"Pushing just one view (onto people) must not happen in a democratic society," Nezu said.

Forcing children to sing the anthem without telling them about its history or the history of the Hinomaru flag is not education, she added.

Nezu had been punished several times over the years for remaining seated during the anthem. The penalty has become more severe each time.

"I assumed I would be dismissed this year," said Nezu, who was punished not only for disobeying the order but also for wearing a sweater at her school emblazoned with the phrase "Objection Hinomaru, Kimigayo."

She speculated that the significant public support she has received stopped the board from dismissing her this year.

Nezu, other defiant teachers and their supporters have actively protested the order over the past two months.

"I felt that when many people take some action together, things can be changed," Nezu said during a news conference.

"It's been proved today that no matter how many times you remain seated, you won't be fired," she said.

20 teachers punished over 'Kimigayo' row | The Japan Times Online
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

04-02-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintoCanadianmale View Post
Forcing children to sing the anthem without telling them about its history or the history of the Hinomaru flag is not education, she added.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Q: Who cares what other people think?!?!
A: Japanese people do.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
04-02-2008, 01:50 PM

Talk about patriotic.

After the fist five paragraphs, I was thinking how impartial Japan is (the teachers here get away with everything ~_~)

Aren't these demonstrations a tad too great of a length to go to though? Just because no one's bothered to educate the youths on the significance of the flag? Unless past prior negotiations did not hold enough contracts to impede them or something?

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

04-02-2008, 10:44 PM

What is there to be educated on? The historic symbol of the rising sun representing Japan? the song praising the emperor? We don't much of an education on our flag or national anthem in school. It includes the Union Jack, southern cross and a star representing the states/territories that formed Australia. education is over isn't it? and the national anthem explanation is much the same.

I'm curious, what problem could she have with the 日の丸 flag? Because it was used by Japan during their war days? It has got origins in japan, according to wiki, from well before the war days although it was not made the official flag of the country until the meiji restoration. Japan has long considered itself the land of the rising sun and this flag is a perfect symbol of that. To say this flag has military connotations is the same as saying the Union Jack does.

The british committed many terrible things under that flag. although this was some time ago now all those countries they colonised, killing and destroying the lives of many native peoples. they are all terrible things. it doesn't change the fact that those things were done under the Union Jack.

When the people from the UK learn about their flag and how it combines those of wales, england and scotland together do they also learn at that same moment all the terrible things done under that flag? Of course not, what has been done under the flag doesn't have relevance to the flag itself. that is for another history lesson altogether.

As for 君が代, the national anthem, what is wrong with this? because Japan during the time of war was 'imperial japan' and you can't have any national song recognising the emperor of Japan, that would be too military related. What i load of crap. Japan still has an emperor and they have had one for much of their history, why can't they have a song that says may the emperor rule for many years to come?

I bring my point back to England, they have God save the Queen (King is used when appropriate) which states may she/he be victorious, reign over us etc etc. This, to me, is a lovely song and a powerful one. But is it not guilty of the same things as the 君が代 has England not done terrible things under a King/Queen in its history? Should the people of the UK learn about the terrible things done in their empire when they learn God saves the Queen? NO that again is another unrelated history lesson, so why should the Japanese.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Japanese learning about their war history and the terrible things that were done in Korea, China and much of south east asia but that is for a history lesson about the war, it is unrelated to the national flag and song of the country regardless of their use during the war times.

I don't have a problem with someone not wanting to sing the song or face the flag, that is their choice although it is not very patriotic or respectful. But don't make this some political protest etc, it is a load a crap.

Last edited by anrakushi : 04-02-2008 at 10:49 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
auran (Offline)
< J Rocker :3

Send a message via ICQ to auran Send a message via AIM to auran Send a message via Yahoo to auran Send a message via Skype™ to auran
04-02-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintoCanadianmale View Post
20 teachers punished over 'Kimigayo' row

By KAZUAKI NAGATA
Staff writer
Twenty public school teachers were punished for disobeying an order to stand and face the flag during the singing of the national anthem in graduation ceremonies in March, the Tokyo board of education said Monday.

The punishments ranged from a 10 percent salary cut for between one and six months to six-month suspensions from work and nonrenewal of contracts for temporary or part-time workers.

The board decided on the penalties during a meeting Friday.

The board has been punishing teachers since ordering public school principals in October 2003 to instruct teachers and students to stand and sing "Kimigayo" at graduation and entrance ceremonies.

About 400 teachers have been punished so far.

There was speculation this year that Kimiko Nezu, a home economics teacher at Minamiosawa Gakuen School for Children With Special Needs, might be dismissed for having defied the order since October 2003.

Instead, she was suspended Monday for six months.

"Pushing just one view (onto people) must not happen in a democratic society," Nezu said.

Nezu had been punished several times over the years for remaining seated during the anthem. The penalty has become more severe each time.

"I assumed I would be dismissed this year," said Nezu, who was punished not only for disobeying the order but also for wearing a sweater at her school emblazoned with the phrase "Objection Hinomaru, Kimigayo."

She speculated that the significant public support she has received stopped the board from dismissing her this year.

Nezu, other defiant teachers and their supporters have actively protested the order over the past two months.

"I felt that when many people take some action together, things can be changed," Nezu said during a news conference.

"It's been proved today that no matter how many times you remain seated, you won't be fired," she said.

20 teachers punished over 'Kimigayo' row | The Japan Times Online
ummm.....mean much! i dont say the pledge of alegence ever but i wouldnt get punished by it.....talk about kill joys

The Otakus Crew!!
Join the Otakus Forum
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
04-02-2008, 11:11 PM

I think it's great what the teacher is doing. She is standing up for what she believes in. All she wants is children to make up their own mind in matters of state and such. Punishing her for a free mind isn't a logical thing.

Although wearing anti-Kimigayo clothing is a tad extreme to get one's point across, when a simple history lesson should suffice, it should still be tolerated.

It's a song sure, but youths are incredibly impressionable. All she wants is for the kids to make up their own minds. Once again, I respect this teacher.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.