JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ShintoCanadianmale (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Japanese artists urge China to meet Dalai Lama - 04-08-2008, 11:12 PM

Japanese artists urge China to meet Dalai Lama

A group of Japanese artists and intellectuals issued a statement on Tuesday urging the Chinese government to hold direct talks with the Dalai Lama on the Tibet problem.

The 65-member group, including noted writers, musicians and movie directors, said in the statement that they feel deep anger and sorrow toward the Chinese government's oppression of human rights in Tibet.

They said they sincerely call on the Chinese government to immediately stop its human rights abuses, and to start face-to-face dialogue with the Dalai Lama as soon as possible.

The statement also urges the Japanese government to use diplomatic channels to help arrange such a meeting.

A member of the group, film director Jin Tatsumura, told reporters that they hope the Olympic Games will provide an opportunity for China to improve its human rights record.

The group plans to hand the statement to the Chinese Embassy in Tokyo as well as to the Japanese government.

2008/04/08 19:20

NHK WORLD English

crunchyroll.com
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

04-09-2008, 01:48 AM

Tibet is a part of China no?

If Tibet is apart of China why are they refusing to meet the Dalai Lama? Isn't he already within the country, I'm not sure if China and Tibet are one, but I know they border each other.

I am also curious to know why Japan is involved with Tibet. I seriously had no idea that they had established some sort of relation.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Michigan90 (Offline)
JF Regular

04-09-2008, 11:47 AM

You need to learn more on Tibet. Japanese people take this issue very seriously. Today Prime Minister Fukuda and DPJ Leader Ozawa seriously discussed these human rights issues in the national diet. We have hosted Tokyo, Sapporo, and Nagano Olympic games before, and the torch relay will soon reach Nagano. Tibet is a Buddhist land and one of our neighbors. We just cannot keep silent and let it pass.

I know of a female Tibetan singer married to a Japanese man. I've listened to her songs at my school before, thus I am deeply concerned about the recent Chinese crackdown in Tibet.

They have a folktale that is very similar to our Taketori Monogatari (竹取物語), and that's a cultural link between Tibet and Japan.

Tibet is close to Mt. Everest. Mr. Miura Yuichiro from Japan, 75, has been forced to change his course and switched to the Nepalese side because of this disaster in Tibet. If successful, he'll become the oldest man ever to scale the highest mountain in the world. It would be better if he could get into Tibet...

The Associated Press: Japanese Man, 75, Wants to Scale Everest

I'm very glad to see these prominent people speaking up. Iruka (singer), Ms. Kato Tokiko (actress), Kawahara Ayako, and many others help raise awareness of this issue in Japan. Now I feel I need to do something too, like asking the Tibetan singer to join the group.

• 金色のちひさき鳥のかたちしていてふちるなり夕日の丘 に
  • 清水へ祇園をよぎる桜月夜こよひ逢ふひとみなうつくし き

- 与謝野晶子
  • いちはつの花咲きいでて我目には今年ばかりの春行かん とす
  • くれなゐの二尺伸びたる薔薇の芽の針やはらかに春雨の ふる

- 正岡子規
(#4 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-09-2008, 11:50 AM

We Just Want the Truth! CNN:The world's leader of liars 西方媒体污蔑中国报道全纪录Anti-CNN.com,Anti-BBC.com,Anti-VOA.com

People (foreign governments), need to keep their noses out of things that don't concern them. ie, sort out your own human rights problems before you try to sort out china's!!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SamuraiAlchemistNinja (Offline)
Tired Philosopher...

Send a message via Yahoo to SamuraiAlchemistNinja
04-09-2008, 12:03 PM

We were talking about similar stuff in my World History class about two or three weeks ago...Tibet wants more rights and freedoms, right? Aren't they essentially controlled by China?

I'm pretty content with life right now....For the most part, anyway....Well, at least, I'm pretty sure I am....
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Michigan90 (Offline)
JF Regular

04-09-2008, 12:39 PM

That anti-CNN site or something is heavily biased in favor of Beijing authorities. The Chinese do this kind of thing, but no one outide their small world take that seriously.

I fear this problem will not go away even after the Olympics. Tibetans seem to have reached the point of no return, saying "Enogh is enough."

• 金色のちひさき鳥のかたちしていてふちるなり夕日の丘 に
  • 清水へ祇園をよぎる桜月夜こよひ逢ふひとみなうつくし き

- 与謝野晶子
  • いちはつの花咲きいでて我目には今年ばかりの春行かん とす
  • くれなゐの二尺伸びたる薔薇の芽の針やはらかに春雨の ふる

- 正岡子規
(#7 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-09-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan90 View Post
That anti-CNN site or something is heavily biased in favor of Beijing authorities.
What's your point? I can easily come back and say the western media is even more biased in favour of the west and they are overblowing things out of proportion.
Even with the "biased" views of the anti cnn website, it still doesn't change the fact that the western media is lying and manipulating thousands of people into disliking the chinese goverment.

Anyway, this has already been discussed in another thread, so no point me repeating myself http://www.japanforum.com/forum/gene...-tibet-10.html
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-09-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiAlchemistNinja View Post
We were talking about similar stuff in my World History class about two or three weeks ago...Tibet wants more rights and freedoms, right? Aren't they essentially controlled by China?
They are controlled by China because they are part of China.

Any country would react to a protest that can result in a riot, and in this case, the Chinese government is only reacting to "control" the issue, which was already a riot. Whether they used excessive force to do it, well thats a different story.

Tibet is not asking for more freedom, they are asking to be completely separated from China, forming its own country...

I do agree, China is at fault for covering up the fact that they are trying to control it by force.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-09-2008, 01:30 PM

no offense, but you people are deluded and brainwashed...
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-09-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
no offense, but you people are deluded and brainwashed...
Care to elaborate? I really can't tell your stance on this issue base on your posts.

So, allowing people to go on the street to riot and let them throw rocks at police, thats human right?