JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ShintoCanadianmale (Offline)
JF Old Timer

100 A-bomb survivors embark on voyage to pass on experiences to world - 09-08-2008, 09:49 PM

100 A-bomb survivors embark on voyage to pass on experiences to world

Sunday 07th September, 05:33 PM JST

YOKOHAMA —

About 100 survivors of the U.S. atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki during World War II embarked on a worldwide voyage Sunday evening from Yokohama port in Kanagawa Prefecture to pass on their experiences to people around the world.

They are participating in a tour organized by the nongovernmental organization Peace Boat, aiming to promote abolishing nuclear arms worldwide by spreading personal stories of the victims. They hope these will help people think about the reality of nuclear weapons.

At a press conference held ahead of the departure from Yokohama, some of the participating A-bomb survivors and representatives of the countries the cruise ship is scheduled to visit expressed excitement about the possible impact of the tour on world-wide audiences.

‘‘We will pass on our experience of atomic bombings to many people in the world, especially young people, so that no one will repeat the mistakes in Hiroshima and Nagasaki again,’’ said Takashi Morita, 84, the director of the Brazil Association for Victims of Atomic Bombs.

‘‘I would like to exchange opinions with people in various countries, instead of just telling our stories,’’ said Setsuko Thurlow, 76, a survivor of the Hiroshima bombing and an Order of Canada recipient.

‘‘Especially at Cochin, India, I want to ask them about how they think about their recent nuclear treaty (with the United States),’’ Thurlow said.

The 103-day tour is scheduled to make port calls in 20 countries, including Vietnam, India, Italy, Spain and Australia, with four A-bomb survivors from South Korea also speaking at these ports, Peace Boat officials said.

In the meantime, the ambassadors of Eritrea and Venezuela expressed their gratitude for having the survivors and other participants of the tour at their ports.

‘‘Someone who attacked is easy to forget but someone who was attacked never forget,’’ said Eritrean Ambassador to Japan Estifanos Afeworki, citing old saying in his country. ‘‘The stories (of survivors) are very strong message.’’

Afeworki also promised that Eritrea backs Japan to become a leading member of the International Atomic Energy Agency as a victim of atomic bombings that can draw on its experience and knowledge.

‘‘I hope the survivors will convey their message that it is possible to achieve world peace and abolishment of nuclear arms to young Venezuelans,’’ said Venezuelan Ambassador to Japan Seiko Ishikawa.

The tour participants will give testimony and exchange activities with local children at Massawa, Eritrea on Sept 30, and will have media events and festival hosted by Mayor of La Guaira at La Guaira, Venezuela on Oct 27 and 28, according to the Peace Boat officials.

In Vietnam, the survivors are scheduled to have dialogues with victims of Agent Orange used by the U.S. Forces during the Vietnam War, and are scheduled to meet with victims of French nuclear tests in Tahiti, according to the officials.

The cruise ship will also be used as an important venue for survivors to share their stories with young Japanese because many of them only know stories from books and have not actually heard from survivors, the officials said.

‘‘I am interested in the war history of Japan, but it is the first time for me to directly hear stories from A-bomb survivors,’’ said Kim Hi Chon, 24, a Korean resident of Tokyo. ‘‘I hope I can learn important life lessons from them.’’

‘‘I am also looking forward to exchanging information with young people overseas,’’ she said.

‘‘I would like to gain some knowledge and experiences related to international cooperation through the tour,’’ said Yu Masaki, 28, who left her job as an office worker in Osaka. ‘‘I am very excited now.’’

The ship will return to Yokohama on Dec 18.
The Peace Boat is soliciting donations as it shoulders most of the travel costs of the atomic-bomb survivors.
Founded in 1983, the Peace Boat has been engaging in international exchanges through global tours using cruise ships.

100 A-bomb survivors embark on voyage to pass on experiences to world

crunchyroll.com