JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

Robot suit for rent in Japan to help people walk - 10-07-2008, 04:00 PM

"A robotic suit that reads brain signals and helps people with mobility problems will be available to rent in Japan for US$2,200 a month starting Friday - an invention that may have far-reaching benefits for the disabled and elderly.

HAL - short for "hybrid assistive limb" - is a computerized suit with sensors that read brain signals directing limb movement through the skin.

The 22 pound (10 kilogram) battery-operated computer system is belted to the waist. It captures the brain signals and relays them to mechanical leg braces strapped to the thighs and knees, which then provide robotic assistance to people as they walk.

Cyberdyne, a new company in Tsukuba outside Tokyo, will mass-produce HAL. Two people demonstrated the suits at the company's headquarters on Tuesday.

A demonstration video also showed a partially paralyzed person getting up from a chair and walking slowly wearing the HAL suit.

"We are ready to present this to the world," said Yoshiyuki Sankai, a University of Tsukuba professor who designed HAL.

Sankai, who has worked on robot suits since 1992 and is also Cyberdyne's chief executive, said a full device that covers the entire body is also being designed, though it is unclear when it will be available commercially.

HAL comes in three sizes - small, medium and large - and also has a one-leg version for a 150,000 yen (US$1,500) monthly rental fee.

Noel Sharkey is a robotics expert not affiliated with the technology. The professor at the University of Sheffield in the U.K. said HAL will have wide-ranging benefits for the elderly others with movement disabilities.

"HAL can only lead to extending the abilities of the elderly and keep them out of care for longer," Sharkey said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Cyberdyne said its policy is not to reveal how much it costs to manufacture the device. It is unclear when HAL will go on sale to the public or what the price tag will be.

Some European nations have already expressed interest and HAL may soon be on the market there, but U.S. sales are still undecided, Sankai said.

Daiwa House Industry Co. will lease HAL suits to Japanese care facilities for the elderly and others for those with disabilities. It plans to rent 500 units over the next year. Japan is a rapidly aging society and taking care of the elderly population is widely viewed as a growing challenge here."

The rest of the story can be found here: My Way News

I think this is a great invention, but its high price is going to keep out of reach of many people who need it.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-09-2008, 11:30 AM

That's awesome! I'd read that the US military was developing exoskeletons to help soldiers carry and move heavy objects. Kinda like Iron Man. Didn't know civilian applications were already available.

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
amuchan (Offline)
Panda Bear ♥♥

10-09-2008, 04:00 PM

I agree! That is such a helpful and smart invention to make. I think it may be pricey but I think it will lower down once people start buying it. I also believe they will lower the prices for outershipping of it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
angelbott (Offline)
WHO ARE YOU!?!?! O.O?

10-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Wow That's great for help people some people had bad legs not very good walk i hope it will help them too! ^^

My first language is sign language 'cause I am born deaf and second is English it's hard understand for me sometimes my memory not good for I try writes right story/grammer of english okay? And read them too. So Deal with it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Guza (Offline)
WTF!?

Send a message via AIM to Guza Send a message via MSN to Guza
10-18-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabista View Post
That's awesome! I'd read that the US military was developing exoskeletons to help soldiers carry and move heavy objects. Kinda like Iron Man. Didn't know civilian applications were already available.

lol its japan they prolly invented the stuff xDDD
(#6 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

12-21-2008, 03:14 AM

I know, it's so awesome. It would be like a freakin' mobile suit.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

12-21-2008, 03:25 AM

there was some other one they made but i forgot the name of it. its made by honda i think. its a wheel chair but it lowers itself when you get into it and its pretty sleek. those Hal's are pretty cool also.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders