JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-25-2008, 09:22 PM

How can people afford it? It seems strange to me that the many more lower class people smoke than upper class people, but cigarettes cost over 5 dollars a pack. At a pack a day that's over 150 dollars a month.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

10-25-2008, 09:29 PM

There's lots of young smokers over here. (12, 13, 14 years old) :/

Stupid peer pressure, and thinking it makes them look cool.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
sushidushi (Offline)
JF Regular

10-25-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heru View Post
Really? I would have no idea. I live in New York City and I have to doge smokers all the time by walking slightly to the left or right or speeding up to past them just to bump into an other or like 20 people outside of some buildling. Theres soo many smokers in nyc.
The anti-smoking laws in many ways make it worse for non-smokers. If people cant smoke in public buildings, they stand in the street to smoke, and the passers-by get the smoke. If smokers had a designated area, they would be safely out of the way, killing only themselves.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
DagothUr (Offline)
Banned

10-25-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
How can people afford it? It seems strange to me that the many more lower class people smoke than upper class people, but cigarettes cost over 5 dollars a pack. At a pack a day that's over 150 dollars a month.
Why do you think their lowerclass? lol
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Snail (Offline)
カタツムリ

Send a message via MSN to Snail
10-25-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
It is MUCH lower in America.
I do not believe this to be true. I would think around 30-50% of all adults smoke here in America. This is due to my experience with the people I have met over the years.
Snail
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-25-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagothUr View Post
Why do you think their lowerclass? lol
UK:

From a Phillip Morris study in the U.S.:

A survey of the socioeconomic status of...panelists reveals that Lower class panelists smoke more and are much more likely to be smokers than upper class panelists...

...Social class influences cigarette type very little except for lower class tendencies to smoke nonfilters and avoid health filters and 100 mm brands.

...Social class of respondents cannot be ignored in studying smoking behavior.

1600 - SMOKER PSYCHOLOGY SMOKING AND SOCIOECONMIC STATUS

From the Oxford Journal:

Rates of smoking have decreased dramatically in most Northern European countries over the last 50 years or so, but manual working class groups are substantially more likely to smoke daily than are the professional and managerial classes. This article examines three hypotheses about the processes producing these inequalities. The first argues that social class inequalities reflect differences across education groups in knowledge of the risks of smoking. The second suggests that the living conditions of lower social class groups leads to the development of lower self-efficacy and a lower propensity to quit smoking. The third states that smoking has a functional use among poorer individuals.

Explaining Social Class Inequalities in Smoking: The Role of Education, Self-Efficacy, and Deprivation -- Layte and Whelan, 10.1093/esr/jcn022 -- European Sociological Review
(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-25-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
I do not believe this to be true. I would think around 30-50% of all adults smoke here in America. This is due to my experience with the people I have met over the years.
Snail
Did you see the chart I put up. It's averages out to about 1 in 5 in all America. Can you imagine if 50% of America smoked? That would be awful.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
DagothUr (Offline)
Banned

10-25-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Did you see the chart I put up. It's averages out to about 1 in 5 in all America. Can you imagine if 50% of America smoked? That would be awful.
20% eh? But maybe it's stress that influences smoking among lowerclass citizens. I mean, isn't their also a higher stress level for lowerclass citizens?
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-25-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagothUr View Post
20% eh? But maybe it's stress that influences smoking among lowerclass citizens. I mean, isn't their also a higher stress level for lowerclass citizens?
I think that could be part of it. Also I think marketing is more focused on the lower class and the education about heath dangers probably isn't as high.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-26-2008, 03:10 AM

I quit smoking last year before my first trip to Japan and this was a concern for me. Luckily I didn't have any cravings. It's funny when you smoke you never smell it. Now if someone is smoking in the car next to me I smell their smoke.

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever