JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-28-2009, 01:19 AM

Burkhartdesu, I think you`ve honestly missed the whole point.

It`s not whether people download illegal things so much as people who ONLY download these things, and who do so continually without making any real effort to purchase most of it.
Like the downloading anime fan who will pick up full series after full series after full series without really thinking about buying it... All the while making up excuses about "Well, it isn`t released yet" or "Well, I can`t afford it anyway" etc

I personally could care less (and I`m going to make a guess that MMM likely feels the same way) if someone illegally downloads a few eps and judges a series for purchase. Or even downloads the whole thing and then buys all the DVDs as they come out. But we all know that isn`t what happens 99.999% of the time. And that is where there is a problem. People think that they should be entitled to anything they want if it can be gotten without too much effort.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#82 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-28-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Burkhartdesu, I think you`ve honestly missed the whole point.

It`s not whether people download illegal things so much as people who ONLY download these things, and who do so continually without making any real effort to purchase most of it.
Like the downloading anime fan who will pick up full series after full series after full series without really thinking about buying it... All the while making up excuses about "Well, it isn`t released yet" or "Well, I can`t afford it anyway" etc

I personally could care less (and I`m going to make a guess that MMM likely feels the same way) if someone illegally downloads a few eps and judges a series for purchase. Or even downloads the whole thing and then buys all the DVDs as they come out. But we all know that isn`t what happens 99.999% of the time. And that is where there is a problem. People think that they should be entitled to anything they want if it can be gotten without too much effort.

Well, that puts everything into perspective.

Apologies, maybe I should have read everything thoroughly.

MMM, sorry for trying to incriminate you.
(#83 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-28-2009, 01:53 AM

Thank you Nyororin for reeling it back in. And there is no need to apologize, Burkhart.
(#84 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
06-28-2009, 01:57 AM

Is it really illegal to download fansubbed anime if you're outside Japan?

Different jurisdiction... yes you infringe Japanese copyrights but I don't see how your country's court can charge you if the anime is not licensed by them.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#85 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-28-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
Is it really illegal to download fansubbed anime if you're outside Japan?

Different jurisdiction... yes you infringe Japanese copyrights but I don't see how your country's court can charge you if the anime is not licensed by them.
Yes, as a matter of fact it is:

Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#86 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-28-2009, 02:55 AM

The only instance where I think bittorent is acceptable is when they don't have Western releases.

Obviously the companies had a set demographic: the Japanese... And they reached their designated populace with their advertisements, commercials, edorsements, etc.

So their not technically losing money if they aren't offering it to us in the first place
(#87 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-28-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
The only instance where I think bittorent is acceptable is when they don't have Western releases.

Obviously the companies had a set demographic: the Japanese... And they reached their designated populace with their advertisements, commercials, edorsements, etc.

So their not technically losing money if they aren't offering it to us in the first place
I do understand the logic behind this, and although it is technically illegal, I can understand the sentiment, especially with series that aren't likely to get a release outside of Japan. That being said, I don't think Naruto Shippuden or similar series fall into that category because there no doubt in the world they will get a western release.
(#88 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-28-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post

I'd been saying that from pretty much the beginning. Series I watched, I had no idea that they'd ever get a western release, hence I watched them through downloads. Even the series I grew bored of, didn't even have a western release yet, or any intention for one at the time. I've noticed that most people who watch different series watch unlicensed stuff.
(#89 (permalink))
Old
bhl88 (Offline)
JF Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
06-29-2009, 06:07 PM

And of course, people like the subs better.

Info on Lolita Fashion: TeamSugar LiveJournal