JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Niyusu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Japanese Women Looking For Marriage in Bad Economy - 03-19-2009, 06:41 AM

From the Japan Times:

When Yumiko Iwate's pay was cut last year, she and her female colleagues all agreed there was only one thing to do: Find a husband.

"I want to get married soon, hopefully by the end of this year," said Iwate, a 36-year-old employee at a mail-order retailer in Tokyo. "The recession made me realize I'm not going to make as much money as I expected, and I'd be more stable financially if I had double income to fall back on."

"Financial concerns are a major reason for the increase in marriage-hunting (by Japanese women)," said Toshihiro Nagahama, chief economist at Dai-ichi Life Research Institute in Tokyo. "(Japanese) women are motivated more than ever to find a financially sound partner."

Full Article: Hunt is on for husbands as slump deepens | The Japan Times Online
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-19-2009, 07:01 AM

Well, I'm single and want to get married, but I'm living in the US. If any Japanese women are willing to relocate here, PM me. I lived in Japan for 2 years and loved it, but family obligations prevent me from leaving America right now.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-19-2009, 07:02 AM

It's wierd to me how many cultures find this acceptable (Marrying primarily for financial reasons) and that people in such cultures are open and honest about it.

Even though I think that it's not really that bad when I think about it... My gut reaction to such attitudes is that it is disgusting and barbaric.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-19-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Well, I'm single and want to get married, but I'm living in the US. If any Japanese women are willing to relocate here, PM me. I lived in Japan for 2 years and loved it, but family obligations prevent me from leaving America right now.
I dunno, the fed has just announced it will print another $1T, I'm not too sure if anyone would want to go live in US right now unless they work in the chapter 11 business.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-19-2009, 07:57 AM

This gave me a laugh as I just read something similar the other day about the US. Apparently more "career women" and mothers who decided to do it alone are feeling the economic heat and "rethinking" their decision to stay single for financial reasons.

I guess when it`s Japan though, it`s bigger news... Everything is just so strange and exciting here!

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-19-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
It's wierd to me how many cultures find this acceptable (Marrying primarily for financial reasons) and that people in such cultures are open and honest about it.
When I was a kid, I thought that was the main reason people would even bother with marriage. I also used to think that only married people could have kids too, mainly because I saw my parents were married, and they had me, and most television shows were set up that way when I was kid. Husband, wife, their kids.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-19-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
This gave me a laugh as I just read something similar the other day about the US. Apparently more "career women" and mothers who decided to do it alone are feeling the economic heat and "rethinking" their decision to stay single for financial reasons.

I guess when it`s Japan though, it`s bigger news... Everything is just so strange and exciting here!
Maybe you have a point...

Though this is Japan forum and the source was Japan Times....
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-19-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Maybe you have a point...

Though this is Japan forum and the source was Japan Times....
I wasn`t necessarily pointing out the posting here. I`ve seen this news posted up on quite a few sites, and linked to from countless places in the past 24 hours. The US article went by without fanfare and disappeared (In fact, I think I only saw it because I happened to glance at the feed in the 20 minutes or so before it was pushed off the bottom.)

It just seems to be an effect of the economy, and not a "Japan thing". But you won`t spot blogs and the like making a big deal out of the same thing when it happens outside of Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SaintKat (Offline)
Veni Vidi Vicious

05-01-2009, 07:25 PM

"She take my money, well I'm in need
Yeah she's a triflin' friend indeed
Oh she's a gold digger way over time
That digs on me..."

I don't blame them, but that's still pretty hilarious.

Nobody is perfect.
I am nobody.
Therefore, I am perfect.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
05-01-2009, 08:10 PM

I actually dont see the big deal though I would never marry someone solely for financial reasons who am i to say that its wrong for others to do so, you do what you gotta do. I actually find the article a waste of time as do i find the article that Nyororin mentioned a waste of time. People get married for different reasons all the time in every country why make a damn news article out it.