JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kitski (Offline)
Kakkoi

'Giri' chocolate custom still popular for Valentine's Day in Japan - 02-14-2007, 06:18 PM

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

TOKYO — More than 40% of working women in their early 20s favor a custom that requires female workers to give chocolate to their male colleagues on Valentine's Day even from a sense of obligation, while less than 20% of those in their late 30s approve of the practice of so-called "giri" (obligation) chocolate, a survey showed Tuesday.

Of the 515 working women aged between 20 and 39 polled, 78% said they will buy chocolate for Valentine's Day. Of them, 71% will give chocolate to their husbands and boyfriends, 48% to bosses, 44% to family members and 37% to co-workers, according to Internet researcher Macromill Inc.

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.-- Albert Camus
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

02-14-2007, 08:34 PM

See, that goes to prove that Japanese ladies are so nice and caring. All the reason to want one more.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

02-14-2007, 10:10 PM

But remember that with chocolates on Valentine's Day, comes the responsibility of White Day. White is 14th March and on that day men must give a present worth 10x what they got in chocolates for Valentine's.

This can be a very ruinous affair ^^;

The custom was parodied in Ken Akamatsu's manga Love Hina where Kitsune gave Keitaro chocolate along with a catalog, pointing what she wanted in return.

Buying chocolates is for giri. When a girl wants to show her love, she makes the chocolate.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

02-14-2007, 11:27 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Best Signature Ever! Best Signature Ever! Best Signature Ever!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
AsianG1 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to AsianG1 Send a message via Yahoo to AsianG1
07-02-2007, 06:13 PM

its fun to watch the girls give chocolate to the guys...
once i saw this cute little girl,i think she was 10 yrs old,she was giving chocolate to her guy and it was so cute i started to giggle

I'll beat anyone who challenges me, I'll beat anyone who thinks they are better.