JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kitski (Offline)
Kakkoi

Gov't warns of possible abnormal behavior among juveniles with flu - 02-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

TOKYO — The health ministry warned Wednesday that children infected with influenza could behave abnormally regardless of whether they have taken the anti-flu drug Tamiful after two teenagers plunged to death earlier this month apparently after taking the drug.

In letters to the Japan Medical Association, the Japan Pharmaceutical Association and prefectural governments, the Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry asked medical experts to explain about the possible abnormal behavior to outpatients and their families, it said.

Although the ministry is doubtful about the alleged link between the drug and the deaths, it said in some cases flu infection can affect the brain.

It also called on parents not to leave their children alone for at least two days after flu infection and told the drug's distributor in Japan — Chugai Pharmaceutical Co — to provide relevant information to medical experts.

A 14-year-old boy fell to his death Tuesday at a condominium building where he lived in Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture, after apparently taking Tamiflu the day before and a 14-year-old girl died Feb 16 in similar circumstances in Aichi Prefecture.

There have been reports that the antiviral drug could have caused abnormal behavior among some children leading to their deaths, but the ministry has denied any causal relation between the deaths and the drug.

The government is building a stockpile of the drug, known generically as oseltamivir phosphate, as part of its efforts to step up preparedness for an epidemic of a new type of influenza.

The drug is produced by the Swiss healthcare group Roche and imported for sale in Japan by Chugai, the group's Japanese unit.

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.-- Albert Camus
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Hisuwashi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-28-2007, 08:12 PM

You're good at finding information..

a medicinal drug makes people die somehow?

~ Wind Song ~
~ Windlied ~
~ Chant du vent ~
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Siroi (Offline)
夜の夢

Location: In a heap in a corner of a friend's basement killed by a rusty metal spork.
Send a message via ICQ to Siroi Send a message via AIM to Siroi Send a message via MSN to Siroi Send a message via Yahoo to Siroi
02-28-2007, 08:22 PM

Makes me think of antidepressants.

Have you read the side effects of some of them.

Some say a side effect is suicide. If it can drive you to suicide, what's the point of taking it.

I perfer to let the flu run its course and hope I don't have it for long.

My family doesn't like doctors.

I don't want love because I don't want pain. I'll run for the rest of my life. Away from you.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
BLo (Offline)
New to JF

03-01-2007, 06:02 AM

This story reminds me of last year when I girl I know was given Tamiflu by a regular doctor. She was only 14 and 1 hour after taking it she felt really strange and started throwing up and sweating and everything. We took her to hospital and the doctors there put her on a drip and said she was too young for Tamiflu and gave her different medicine.They said that she should have been taken to a childrens' doctor first and a childrens' doctor wouldn't have given her Tamiflu. A couple of days later I got flu as well. I took the Tamiflu and I was fine but I'm older than 14 though
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kitski (Offline)
Kakkoi

03-01-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLo View Post
This story reminds me of last year when I girl I know was given Tamiflu by a regular doctor. She was only 14 and 1 hour after taking it she felt really strange and started throwing up and sweating and everything. We took her to hospital and the doctors there put her on a drip and said she was too young for Tamiflu and gave her different medicine.They said that she should have been taken to a childrens' doctor first and a childrens' doctor wouldn't have given her Tamiflu. A couple of days later I got flu as well. I took the Tamiflu and I was fine but I'm older than 14 though
that's interesting..actually i remember that it happened to me too..i was about 12 but the medicine that the doc wrote me was for 14 or older..so i started throwing up too and the ambulance took me to the hospital..i was there a day and then they released me..
Hisuwashi: thanks i'll find more news every day

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.-- Albert Camus