JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Wyseguy (Offline)
New to JF

Whales & Dolphins (Cetaceans) - 08-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Japan's Fisheries minister claims that the killing of thousands of dolphins set to start this week (September) is an act that continues not so much to provide food (studies showing that the meat from dolphins is so heavily contaminated by mercury that it is hazardous to eat) but to provide a continuity of culture. Can anyone explain if the trade in dolphin meat is actually profitable? I would think that people would be hesitant to eat dolphin. Take into account the very very high mercury contamination and it would seem a very difficult task to make the actual marketing of dolphin worthwhile..
(#12 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-03-2010, 12:47 AM

Whale meat has been eaten in Nagasaki for a long time. It is delicious. My Grandma, when alive, used to prepare it for me when I went to see her in Japan.

No Nation or people have the right to judge the culture and customs of another.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
No Nation or people have the right to judge the culture and customs of another.
Rubbish, of course they do. That country may choose to ignore the other countries but anyone has the right to judge and criticise anything they want. Countries all over the world get criticised all the time for all sorts of things by people from other nations. That's because we're all part of an international community and if you want to be part of it expect to be criticised from time to time. Some of the criticism may even actually have merit now and again! No nation or people should be immune from international scrutiny, criticism or judgement.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Rubbish, of course they do. That country may choose to ignore the other countries but anyone has the right to judge and criticise anything they want. Countries all over the world get criticised all the time for all sorts of things by people from other nations. That's because we're all part of an international community and if you want to be part of it expect to be criticised from time to time. Some of the criticism may even actually have merit now and again! No nation or people should be immune from international scrutiny, criticism or judgement.
In terms of people babbling to thin air, sure , talk all you want. And you'll be judged as well.

We'll do what we think is right just as you do what you think is right.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
That country may choose to ignore the other countries .
Of course, that's why I said the above
Some of you Japanese guys just seem to take any criticism all so personally though. And seem to feel that your culture and customs are so sacrosanct that they should be immune from any criticism. They're not, get over it...
Defend the things you believe in, that's fine but don't try and make out that you should never have to defend anything because you have every right to do whatever you want without any criticism. You don't have that right. No one does.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-07-2010, 04:43 PM

^ Didn't I just say that?

"In terms of people babbling to thin air, sure , talk all you want. And you'll be judged as well.

We'll do what we think is right just as you do what you think is right."

OK I'll translate:

You bark your bark - I'll bark my bark
You do your thing - I'll do my thing

Fair enough?