JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

CO of USS COWPENS Relieved for cruelty - 03-10-2010, 10:23 AM

I've been waiting for someone to post this. It first hit the surface warfare officers online communities, then the blogs, then Time, and recently local newspapers in heavily Navy areas like San Diego.

Holly Graf: Navy Relieves Harsh Commander of USS Cowpens - TIME

USS COWPENS is forward deployed in Yokosuka. I have never been aboard her, but I've stood directly below her. I also don't know CAPT Graf personally, and have said all I intend to say on the aforementioned SWO forums, which restricts membership to naval officers or officer cadets. I won't say anything here.

I am, however, curious what others think of this, especially those also living in Japan.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-10-2010, 12:44 PM

I happen to think that strictness and discipline are good things, and have thrived under strict teachers/bosses... But it seriously sounds like this woman went way over the line. Wow. It is good that there was some sort of action taken against her. Pressure is one thing, but abuse is another.

Quote:
I am, however, curious what others think of this, especially those also living in Japan.
I don`t really know how opinions from those not involved in the military who live in Japan would be special. Is there a specific reason you are interested in the opinions of those living here? I wouldn`t feel any differently wherever this was based.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-10-2010, 01:14 PM

I never said those who aren't in the military. The reason I say in Japan, is because this portrays the US Navy, and Americans, in a very negative light. I know I have been asked about it, given both my nationality and my USN affiliation. I am curious what Americans, or westerners in general, think about how CAPT Graf's actions might affect perceptions.

CAPT Graf did not lose her stripes, nor was she dismissed. She is now assigned to a project in Washington DC. She was fast-tracked for Rear Admiral like her sister, Robin Graf, but that's pretty well dead now. Her career is dead-ended, but it isn't over, and she will still retire with full benefits.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-10-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
I never said those who aren't in the military.
Sorry, I made that assumption as I thought that you would probably hear from those with military affiliation on the online community you mentioned.

Quote:
The reason I say in Japan, is because this portrays the US Navy, and Americans, in a very negative light. I know I have been asked about it, given both my nationality and my USN affiliation. I am curious what Americans, or westerners in general, think about how CAPT Graf's actions might affect perceptions.
Personally, I don`t really think it is making the news in Japan. I haven`t heard anything on the Japanese news. I honestly don`t think it will change perceptions much. I don`t believe it is an issue having to do with Japan directly - yes, it was based here, but it isn`t something coming into contact with Japanese citizens. It started within the military and ended within the military.

Quote:
CAPT Graf did not lose her stripes, nor was she dismissed. She is now assigned to a project in Washington DC. She was fast-tracked for Rear Admiral like her sister, Robin Graf, but that's pretty well dead now. Her career is dead-ended, but it isn't over, and she will still retire with full benefits.
Basically an 天下り, right? Pretty much what would happen if something similar happened in a Japanese organization. I don`t think that perceptions would change based on how she was dealt with.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Sorry, I made that assumption as I thought that you would probably hear from those with military affiliation on the online community you mentioned.
Naval Officers are a very small subsegment. I don't know what the enlisted folks are saying, and I don't know what the other branches are saying. Indeed, even then, I am only on the forums for the surface and aviation communities, because of my own community choices. Subs are volunteer only, for the most part, and I don't have the strength in math/science to go nuke for subs, which means I have no idea what the submariners are saying about the issue.

Quote:
Personally, I don`t really think it is making the news in Japan. I haven`t heard anything on the Japanese news. I honestly don`t think it will change perceptions much. I don`t believe it is an issue having to do with Japan directly - yes, it was based here, but it isn`t something coming into contact with Japanese citizens. It started within the military and ended within the military.
It's been on a few sites, and my coworkers and I spoke about it when Time first broke the story. I can't read well enough to read newspapers, and I can't stand Japanese TV, but I check Japanese news blogs, especially posts relating to the Navy or Marine Corps, for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Basically an 天下り, right? Pretty much what would happen if something similar happened in a Japanese organization. I don`t think that perceptions would change based on how she was dealt with.
Most SWOs are pretty displeased from what I hear. General consensus is that she should have been dismissed.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-10-2010, 02:47 PM

I`m curious - I have no military experience and know pretty much nothing about how discipline is carried out.
Let us assume that someone is excellent and nearly flawless in taking care of their responsibilities... But a terrible person with an awful personality. At what point does their personality and related actions overtake their great record in performance?

I am wondering if perhaps the reassignment instead of dismissal is based on something like this? Clearly they were doing something right to have been continually promoted into positions of authority... And the article you linked to points out that it wasn`t a case of being godfathered in.

Have their been other similar cases? If so, what sort of action was taken then?

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-10-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I`m curious - I have no military experience and know pretty much nothing about how discipline is carried out.
Let us assume that someone is excellent and nearly flawless in taking care of their responsibilities... But a terrible person with an awful personality. At what point does their personality and related actions overtake their great record in performance?
You hit the nail on the head. Basically, until someone reports it. And the reporting system we have now is broken. This is one of the major arguments among SWOs generated by CAPT Graf. Seniors evaluate you, never juniors. So Rear Admiral Soandso gives CAPT Graf orders, she uses improper tactics to "motivate" her crew. Her crew does the job, but Rear Admiral is not on her ship and doesn't know anything beyond the job got done. He gives her good evals. Part of the job of the junior officer is keeping the issues of the enlisted from getting to the senior officers. The department heads are in charge of the division officers, the JOs. Department heads report to the XO. At each level, the goal is to solve problems at your level, and the next level up need not know the details. Unless everything is jacked up and someone gets on the hotline to the commodore or rear admiral and says, "Hey, CAPT KillingMorale is doing X and Y, and it's inappropriate" evals will not reflect it. And many JOs are too scared of pissing off the people who write THEIR evals, and can direct THEIR career, to complain. So instead they wait it out, and the good evals for the morale killing officer remain happy and nice and positive.

Quote:
I am wondering if perhaps the reassignment instead of dismissal is based on something like this? Clearly they were doing something right to have been continually promoted into positions of authority... And the article you linked to points out that it wasn`t a case of being godfathered in.
Her sister is a rear admiral, her brother-in-law is a rear admiral, her entire family is connected to the Navy. No one is buying the official line that it isn't nepotism.

Quote:
A few. None recently. None within my personal memory. I can't remember when CAPT Arnheiter was dismissed for similar. Perhaps 50 years ago? Google checking... 1967.

The Navy: The Arnheiter Incident - TIME

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-10-2010, 09:32 PM

There seems to be a continuing double-standard in all branches and in civilian companies when it comes to foul language, and I can't criticize her much for her use of it after what I have heard over the years.

However, the rest of the charges leveled against the Captain more than justify her removal from all positions of command. She clearly has no control over her behavior and therefore it would be expected none over anything else.

Not sure I am in favor of shuffling her off to an obscure weapons lab, though. We don't need those workers enduring any of her tirades either. She belongs on the graveyard shift cleaning up the Naval Academy or some training ship.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-11-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, promotion through the ranks has as much to do with politics as it does with performance. In the case of higher-level officers, politics is actually more important than performance. The military "chain of command" is strictly adhered to, complaints from those below go up the command to Captain Graf, and are passed along only if she agrees to it. Communication from higher ranks also follows its way down the chain of command, and the word of a ship's captain is considered to be trustworthy, as well as usually being the only which really counts.

I'm glad the Navy reads the blogs of the sailors who serve, this is a good way of evaluating the performance of officers, as well as life in the Navy in general.

Captain Graf may have done well in her evaluations, and completed her tasks as required, but the military demands that these tasks be performed in a "military manner". Officers are required to show respect to all personnel, regardless of rank. Disrespect is not tolerated; good morale is essential to having a effective crew/command.

Captain Graf will now be assigned to a desk somewhere, where she will be in no position to give so simple a command as to bring her a cup of coffee. She'll work at this desk until retirement. This may not be a dismissal, but for Naval officers, reassignment from Ship's Captain to paper shuffler, it's equal to walking the plank.

I spent several years in the Army, and though things like this occur, it is very uncommon. Senior Army officers work in close proximity to their peers, and their performance can be supervised at nearly all times. Such is not the case for Ship's Captains, who are generally the most senior ranking members on their ship.

Goodbye Captain Graf, and don't let the door hit you on the way out. You will now get an opportunity to polish your typing skills, and the Navy now has a poster child for how not to command a ship.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-11-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Goodbye Captain Graf, and don't let the door hit you on the way out. You will now get an opportunity to polish your typing skills, and the Navy now has a poster child for how not to command a ship.
General consensus is that this isn't enough. The community is calling for her SWO pin to be removed, her citations rescinded, and for her to be given the boot.

There's a lot of anger of her still wearing the SWO pin, her CAPT shoulder boards, and drawing pay and benefits.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org