Coming of age with Hiroshima's mourning | The Japan Times Online

More.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dannavy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-12-2010, 01:48 AM

How about this.....

Japan remembers the brutality it visited on the people of Asia and the stupid suicidal war it's militarist leaders embarked on when they bombed Pearl harbor?

Hiroshima is a memorial to what happens when a people allow their leaders to drag them drunk on nationalism to a war that ends up with a city reduced to a flaming cinder.

USN Japan 1985 - 1997, best years of my life.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-12-2010, 04:16 AM

Kinda like, if you attack a bear cave full of bears, you get eaten.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Dayanx (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Dayanx
10-12-2010, 05:03 AM

I should mention that there isn't a single nuclear weapon that is less than 25 years old at this point. I haven't actually read up on the Goldwaters-Nichols stuff that ended SAC and started STRATCOM, but I get the feeling those weapons are getting a bit... old?

Not to mention that in this day and age, the only nation I can even think of that would be nuts enough to light one off is North Korea- and their missiles are more of a threat to shipping in the Yellow sea as the fragments fall to earth.

Good thing they don't seem to fancy building space colonies.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-29-2010, 01:12 AM

Iran actually is a bigger threat in that. They really want to send one to Isreal as soon as possible. Their leader thinks his the "Harbringer of the Apocolyps".
(#7 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-29-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannavy85 View Post
How about this.....

Japan remembers the brutality it visited on the people of Asia and the stupid suicidal war it's militarist leaders embarked on when they bombed Pearl harbor?

Hiroshima is a memorial to what happens when a people allow their leaders to drag them drunk on nationalism to a war that ends up with a city reduced to a flaming cinder.
Wow. dude. So JAPAN attacked America so these CITIZENS, kids, women, unborn babies in their uterus, deserved to be burned in an atomic flame and their descendants should suffer from the aftereffect of the radiation for decades?

Wow. Just wow. Which hell are you from, mr. devil?

And the suicidal war? WHO was the one contemplated on how to "let them(Japanese) shoot the first shot" ?
Roosevelt!! it's in the Secretary of War, Henry Lewis Stimson's memorials! And who give the ultimatum, "Hull Note" to Japan, well knowing it meant a war? Do you know who shot the first shot at Pearl harbor? Have you ever heard of Flying Tigers? US is the country that dropped an A-bomb to an Asian country by the order of a KKK affiliated president, and there is not a tiny bit of exaggeration in this statement.

International politics is never a simple black and white. There are different views. I don't completely hold with Hiroshima Nagasaki sentiment either. But I think your view is a bit one sided dude.

Oh, wait, even 65 years later, America is doing the same thing to Iraq. Where was the weapon of mass destruction? Saddom was a bad guy (even though 'the weapon of mass destruction' was a downright lie) so these Iraqi citizens deserves killings and rapes eh?

Last edited by cranks : 10-29-2010 at 04:25 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿à

10-29-2010, 03:13 AM

I'm with ya cranks and I'm in the U.S. Air Force! :/

I'm also facepalming @ dannavy85 because we (Americans) DO note and remember Pearl Harbor (and 9/11 and other attacks on US civilians) but we don't exactly honor the dates we attacked the citizens of foreign countries. We will 'never forget 9/11' but apparently it's totally cool to forget bombing the shit out of Iraqi civilians we did in March-May 2003. It may not be 'fair' but nations tend to remember and honor their own fallen; the U.S. clearly does this so to say 'we can do it but the Japanese can't!" is so very very asinine. Moreover, nothing justifies nuking a country -- NOTHING. Radiation is far too inhumane for a modern nation to consider in its repertoire for warfare. And your attitude of "well that's what happens" is scary, I'm talking 'lacking empathy and sanity' scary (Timothy McVeigh scary!). Super overkill.

Thus I shall facepalm in the corner and hope that I'm not doomed to a fate of being a douche-y veteran when I get older...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-29-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerPenguin View Post
I'm with ya cranks and I'm in the U.S. Air Force! :/

I'm also facepalming @ dannavy85 because we (Americans) DO note and remember Pearl Harbor (and 9/11 and other attacks on US civilians) but we don't exactly honor the dates we attacked the citizens of foreign countries. We will 'never forget 9/11' but apparently it's totally cool to forget bombing the shit out of Iraqi civilians we did in March-May 2003. It may not be 'fair' but nations tend to remember and honor their own fallen; the U.S. clearly does this so to say 'we can do it but the Japanese can't!" is so very very asinine. Moreover, nothing justifies nuking a country -- NOTHING. Radiation is far too inhumane for a modern nation to consider in its repertoire for warfare. And your attitude of "well that's what happens" is scary, I'm talking 'lacking empathy and sanity' scary (Timothy McVeigh scary!). Super overkill.

Thus I shall facepalm in the corner and hope that I'm not doomed to a fate of being a douche-y veteran when I get older...
Thank you. I love the US as much as Japan so I appreciate your, and all other military personnel's, service. I really do. I think Japanese have a lot to learn from Americans in that area. But killing people is never cool. I would probably be proud of myself if I was a fighter pilot and shot down an enemy fighter. That's fair. But 2 world wars, and Korea and Vietnam and Afghanistan and Iraq showed us that a war is not cool. I don't like the brutality of the old imperial Japanese military, but at the same time I don't like Chinese, American, British or any other countries' brutality back then. Let's be more cosmopolitan. Countries will be dismantled in several hundred years. Do people care if you are Yankee or Southerner today? English or Scottish? No. Bad things are bad regardless who did them. It's stupid to completely vilify one side. I don't care which side. Both did good things and bad things. And even those who did things we deem bad today, most of them tried their best to do good. With all their life.

I'm not saying military is bad though. It's the opposite. Military forces at this point of human evolution are very important and we need them and need to keep the balance among them so we don't get into a head on collision like WW2.

Last edited by cranks : 10-29-2010 at 04:32 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
dannavy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

12-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Wow. dude. So JAPAN attacked America so these CITIZENS, kids, women, unborn babies in their uterus, deserved to be burned in an atomic flame and their descendants should suffer from the aftereffect of the radiation for decades?
And how many civilians in Asia did the Japanese slaughter? Tell me what you know of the Rape of Nanking.

Quote:
Wow. Just wow. Which hell are you from, mr. devil?
What hell were the militarists from? When one of your most senior Admirals (Yamamoto) warns you NOT to attack the United States? Why didn't you listen to him!

Quote:
And the suicidal war? WHO was the one contemplated on how to "let them(Japanese) shoot the first shot" ?
The Japanese leadership made the choice, much to the sadness and sorrow of the people.

Quote:
International politics is never a simple black and white. There are different views. I don't completely hold with Hiroshima Nagasaki sentiment either. But I think your view is a bit one sided dude.
Not at all. I know plenty of Japanese who agree with my assessments. I lived there for 15 years, did you?

Quote:
Oh, wait, even 65 years later, America is doing the same thing to Iraq.
Do you see Saddam's brats raping any more women BTW?

Quote:
Where was the weapon of mass destruction?
We acted on what intelligence we and 17 other nations had provided us. Blame Saddam for not being truthfull, trying to dodge UN inspections, corrupting the UN 's food for oil program.

Quote:
Saddom was a bad guy (even though 'the weapon of mass destruction' was a downright lie) so these Iraqi citizens deserves killings and rapes eh?
They deserved to be free from the killings and rapings by your pal Saddam. And if we were so evil 65 years ago then why does Japan exist at all?

Quote:
but apparently it's totally cool to forget bombing the shit out of Iraqi civilians we did in March-May 2003.
So it was totally cool to keep Saddam and his two murdering brats in power?

Quote:
the U.S. clearly does this so to say 'we can do it but the Japanese can't!" is so very very asinine.
Wow....did I ever say it was wrong to remember what happened to Hiroshima? No...I say it should be remembered in context with the whole Pacific War. The Japanese are not victims, they allowed their government to carry them into a stupid suicidal conflict against better judgement. Hiroshima is as much a warning against blindly following dictatorial regimes as it is to the hell of total war.

Quote:
Radiation is far too inhumane for a modern nation to consider in its repertoire for warfare.
Go talk to the Iranians then because if they keep going down the same road Japan traveled 65 years ago, Teheran will be the next Hiroshima under an Israeli nuclear warhead.

Quote:
But 2 world wars, and Korea and Vietnam and Afghanistan and Iraq showed us that a war is not cool.
Have I ever said it was "cool"?

USN Japan 1985 - 1997, best years of my life.

Last edited by dannavy85 : 12-03-2010 at 09:54 PM.