LinkBack Thread Tools
(#131 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I guess it depends on what meat you buy. If it's RSPCA approved, it's gotta be better than battery hens (and like I said, me and my Mum do so much to stop that... our pet chickens are ex-battery hens and when we got them they were in an awful state.) We don't buy much other meat because it's so expensive.
If anti-whaling activists take the same approach you are taking, and like "OK. Slaughter houses aren't perfect. But there is something we can do to improve it. Likewise, there is something we can do to whales and dolphins. I work on them because I love them". Then the activities would be taken a lot more positively. But unfortunately so far, I see more cultural superiority and racism. There is a lot of damage done already. I for one, switched the stance from anti-whaling to whaling, or at least anti-anti-whaling because of these activists.

Quote:
And oh no, I apologise, I didn't mean it was a direct comparison. I just meant that the principle of finding ways to justify bad things is the same, not that the practice is on the same lines at all. (Obviously those things are entirely worse.) I'm sorry if that's what it seemed like I was saying.
I didn't want to be harsh, but direct or indirect, it is a sensible matter when you talk about a basic principle of a culture, even if it is not explicitly called faith.

Thank you very much for your apologies. I really appreciate it.
(#132 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

09-04-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post

You said that you admired Hitler? what does that say about You as a person?
that says about me, unlike you, even if the deeds of a person were awful and simply inhumane i am still able to notice that they were great. as i stated in the original post in the other topic - he did horrible things, but non the less also great - changed the world and i admire people that are able to do that in any way - change for good or bad, just change. i have no intrest in admiring avarage person because whatever he does - good or bad - is on an avarage schale, not worth mentioning and any deeds he will accomplish will be gone, hitler will stay - a person who we will remmeber.

btw..lets not spam this topic. if wanna talk more, simply drop me a message.

P.S MIssaMissa. you know that no matter what your companies say - mostly all the chickens are killed the same way. you know that the heads are cut off? sounds fast doesnt it? yea..but brain is still active for some 3 minutes after its cut off. and the saying "running like chicken without a head" ? thats because they do that..now do you think your organization is still the humane one?

Last edited by evanny : 09-04-2010 at 06:07 PM.
(#133 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

09-04-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
If anti-whaling activists take the same approach you are taking, and like "OK. Slaughter houses aren't perfect. But there is something we can do to improve it. Likewise, there is something we can do to whales and dolphins. I work on them because I love them". Then the activities would be taken a lot more positively. But unfortunately so far, I see more cultural superiority and racism. There is a lot of damage done already. I for one, switched the stance from anti-whaling to whaling, or at least anti-anti-whaling because of these activists.

I didn't want to be harsh, but direct or indirect, it is a sensible matter when you talk about a basic principle of a culture, even if it is not explicitly called faith.

Thank you very much for your apologies. I really appreciate it.
See, this is what I think. I can't be the only one, right? The 'activists' that do the most extreme things will of course get the most publicity... this can't speak for all of them, can it? Or even the majority of them...

I wouldn't switch my stance because a few silly people didn't do the right thing. This approach will clearly not solve anything. To intiate change, the subject you are trying to change has to want to change. Stirring up trouble just makes the Japanese angry and makes them think 'damn gaijin getting involved in our matters.' Like I said at the very start:

Quote:
- I agree with the opinions of environmentalists, but again, I don't approve of their methods. Sometimes they are very brash and intrusive, which just makes the Japanese people angry and causes more problems.
Something else needs to be done to correct this problem.

Quote:
P.S MIssaMissa. you know that no matter what your companies say - mostly all the chickens are killed the same way. you know that the heads are cut off? sounds fast doesnt it? yea..but brain is still active for some 3 minutes after its cut off. and the saying "running like chicken without a head" ? thats because they do that..now do you think your organization is still the humane one?
Again with this finger pointing! I've already said they aren't good either. This is a stupid argument. It's not MY organisation, they eat chickens in Japan too you know. There are things to be improved on both sides, for sure, but I thought this was about dolphins and whales? Geez.

Are you a vegetarian or something?

Last edited by MissMisa : 09-04-2010 at 06:15 PM.
(#134 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-04-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
See, this is what I think. I can't be the only one, right? The 'activists' that do the most extreme things will of course get the most publicity... this can't speak for all of them, can it? Or even the majority of them...

I wouldn't switch my stance because a few silly people didn't do the right thing. This approach will clearly not solve anything. To intiate change, the subject you are trying to change has to want to change. Stirring up trouble just makes the Japanese angry and makes them think 'damn gaijin getting involved in our matters.' Like I said at the very start:
Unfortunately Misa, there are a lot of people who openly express superiority, and even racism, mainly in Andipode. Ronin here for example have already and decidedly expressed that his moral value is higher than people in Taichi's, and indirectly mine. There was a TV show that mocked Japanese people walking on the street about whaling in Australia. I don't know how that kind of racism is allowed on TV in 21st century. I'm not so devoted to whales in the first place. Like most people, I feel they are smart and gorgeous, and I feel it is bad taste to eat them. But human culture and racism sure are more important to me than whales and dolphins. Especially when it comes to my own race. And to be honest, after seeing remarks like "Whale killing Japs!" or an extremely one sided Japan bashing show, I feel like starting to eat it just to bug them.

Last edited by cranks : 09-04-2010 at 06:49 PM.
(#135 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-04-2010, 06:29 PM

This was a double post... I did it again.
(#136 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

09-04-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
Unfortunately Misa, there are a lot of people who openly express superiority. Even Ronin here for example already decidedly expressed that his moral value is higher that people in Taichi. There was a TV show that mocked Japanese people walking on the street about whaling on TV in Australia. I don't know how that kind of racism is allowed on TV in 21st century. I'm not so devoted to whales in the first place. Like most people, I feel they are smart and gorgeous, and I feel it is bad taste to eat them. But human culture and racism sure is more important to me than whales and dolphins. Especially when it comes to my own race.
I guess that's just where people are different. I can understand why people... dislike the Japanese whaling in a strong manner, I don't reckon that kind of thing helps. Not that Japan is the virtue of anti-racism, it sure isn't.

This topic often comes up and in a way it's nice to see another side put respectfully. Often we get people who are 'Japan is perfect and can do know wrong!'
(#137 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

09-04-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Are you a vegetarian or something?
nope. im just dicking with everyone and showing most of the time facts, that they do not like. not to you but others who have a very selective thinking..khm*roninr* khm.

missamissa. but why can't we put it this way. lets be honest - only way whales affect your life is in the quality of your sleep. thats it. in japan they affect several thousand people and their families.
however you are affected also by the chickens and pigs and their way of life because it is happening also at your home country. so...why dont you attend the problems, that you also admit, that tend to have industries at the uk, and japanese people will attend the problems with whaleing since they are the ones most effected by it.
seams reasonoble, dont you think? i know that for everyone it is a lot easier to blame the other side but the right thing to do is to fix problems you have and then you can tell others about theirs.
how they say...people in glass houses should not throw rocks?
(#138 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

09-04-2010, 06:43 PM

I already said I look after ex-battery hens, only buy free range eggs when we do buy them, we don't eat meat anyway and me and my mum often do things to raise awareness of cruelty in our own country. For your information - things are gradually changing in the UK. In the grand scheme of things, the ban on fox hunting was only very recent, but a good step in the right direction. What more do you want? I think I'm as justified as any to talk about this. I think before YOU point the finger at what I'M doing, you shouldn't judge before you know my background.

It's stupid to say you can't point out weaknesses in others if you don't have weaknesses yourself. Only perfect people would be able to say anything about the practices of others, then. And we all know no-one is perfect.
(#139 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-04-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Not that Japan is the virtue of anti-racism, it sure isn't.
Racism looks worse when you are a minority in that country. I don't think you have been the target of a racial slur by a random passersby on the street in Japan. I have in the UK. That was shocking and threatening. But sure, I wouldn't say Japan is racism free. Still, if they air a TV show mocking Korean people for eating dogs in Japan, it will be strongly condemned for being extremely racist. I don't think they can even air it. Somebody will stop it for sure.

Last edited by cranks : 09-04-2010 at 07:08 PM.
(#140 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

09-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
For your information - things are gradually changing in the UK. In the grand scheme of things, the ban on fox hunting was only very recent, but a good step in the right direction..
and i say its a bad thing. we had them also more or less gone and now because 80's are gone with fox fur coats are not needed and since fox is an usless animal we are having problems with other wild life. rabbits, deers and rest of the wild life is now the victim because someone thought it was important to save foxes. now who will save these animals who are actually usefull?

more you iterfier more sh*t comes out of it. youll get back your foxes at the uk, but since they have no use for humans soon theyll spread like wildfire fu*king things up with the animals in the wild that are actually usefull.

so here is the picture what will happen is some 20 years...history is bound to repeat itself. so - dont say its the right dirrection if you are not aware of the outcome.