JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan News & Events (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-news-events/)
-   -   Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Begins September (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-news-events/33641-dolphin-slaughter-taiji-begins-september.html)

Wyseguy 08-30-2010 07:22 PM

Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Begins September

Can someone from Japan let me know the "general" consensus in Japan concerning the killing of tens of thousands of dolphins each Spetember in Taiji Japan. I had heard before it was a cutlural act, however I have seen a governmant official (albeit on TV) misrepresenting the method the dolphins are killed. I have also seen (personally) rather silly ways local officials and from the white boots I would guess fisherman, try to prevent people from filming, or seeing the killing of the dolphins. This kind of behavior would not lend itself to one proposal I have been offered, namely that the killing is a Japanese Cultural Tradition. It this were true it would seem that this tradition is not one that many Japanese would be proud of.
Is it common knowledge in Japan that in areas such as Taiji so many thousands of dolphins are being killed, and if so what is the publics' perception of this? I would appreciate hearing all views.

MMM 08-30-2010 07:30 PM

From what I understand (and I am not Japanese) is that the vast majority of people in Japan had no idea this was happening.

RKitagawa 08-30-2010 07:45 PM

It sounds like you've seen the movie "The Cove" which is about this very issue. But maybe you missed the part where they interview various people in Japan. Most of them had no idea that this is happening.

If you haven't seen the movie, I recommend you go check it out. It's obviously something you would be interested in.

Qayin 08-31-2010 02:38 PM

I'm not Japanese myself, so I can't tell what's happening, but in my opinion umm..... it's their culture. They've done it for decades or possible centuries. We have no choice but respect them. Unless they kill in the number that could make it extict, I couldn't find any reason to stop them except for animals' right, and animal rights is not dolphin specific, so we got to stop all animal cruelty around the world.

GoNative 08-31-2010 03:16 PM

I really don't buy it's part of the culture so we should respect it view. There's been many things in many cultures over the years considered barbarous or unusually cruel that have been discontinued. Possibly this is one should also discontinue.

I doubt many Japanese are aware of what goes on down there and suspect many would be appalled if they did.
Many nationalists here appear to see it as just another issue of outsiders trying to interfere with their great nation. I doubt they could care less about any cultural aspects, they just like to huff and puff about any issue where foreigners poke their noses into what they see as the right of Japanese to do whatever they want.

Have any of the animal rights groups out there planned to try and disrupt the cull?

dogsbody70 08-31-2010 03:25 PM

I was horrified when I saw "THE COVE". So much barbarism.

My japanese friend seemed to think it was "USUAL" and was more concerned about plants.

She quoted our fox hunting cruelty-- but fox hunting has been banned.

Its the way those poor dolphins were crying out and the callous way they were speared. We humans should be ashamed of our selves but many of us still eat meat etc.

dogsbody70 08-31-2010 03:29 PM

also if the japanese did not continue to eat dolphin meat?

How long before the seas are completely empty?

I also wondered about the way Herons? are used to catch fish-- the way the bird is roped so it cannot swallow the fish?

It seems very skilful but how ethical?

I do worry about the way so many whales and other creatures from the sea are maltreated.

evanny 08-31-2010 03:51 PM

wow...its amazing how people divide the worth of life on this planet. lets eat chickens, cows, fish, dogs, lambs and so on...but just for love of god dont eat the damn dolphins and whales...they are so special.

news flash - they are not. :ywave:

dogsbody70 08-31-2010 04:19 PM

Hmm isn't it the cruelty involved in the slaughter?

Qayin 08-31-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanny (Post 826795)
wow...its amazing how people divide the worth of life on this planet. lets eat chickens, cows, fish, dogs, lambs and so on...but just for love of god dont eat the damn dolphins and whales...they are so special.

news flash - they are not. :ywave:

Very good point!

Let's compare.

Many dog lovers say to eat dog is inhuman, but hey! The question is how're dogs (or cats) are different than pigs, cows, lambs? They are animal that we domesticate too!

And the answer you will get is: "Dog is human's best friend!"

Oh my......(uhh... I could get banned if I say this) so everyone has dogs as their best friend eventhough they never raise it!? That's just nonsense.

I "hate" so much when some "only some" foreigners (especially from western countries) see the other cultures eat or do something that is looked barbarous and say "Hey stop it you will ruin the world" eventhough they do that for a hundred or thousand years. That's ridiculous.

Please don't forget: different culture = different logic = different perspective.