JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Japan murder suspect issues apology - 10-05-2010, 05:28 PM

The Press Association: Japan murder suspect issues apology

The Japanese man accused of murdering British teacher Lindsay Hawker in 2007 has apologised to her family in a letter, it has emerged.

Tatsuya Ichihashi is awaiting trial for the killing, after being arrested at a ferry port in Osaka, southern Japan, last November.

Miss Hawker's body was discovered in a sand-filled bath at the 31-year-old's Tokyo apartment in March 2007.

The 22-year-old, from Brandon, near Coventry, had been teaching in Japan after graduating from university in Leeds.

A spokeswoman for the Hawker family said they had received a letter from a member of Ichihashi's defence team a month ago on his behalf.

She said the letter said Ichihashi was "very sorry" and was a "good person" and went into detail about what he had done during his time on the run.

The spokeswoman added: "The Hawker family does not believe a word of it and they do not wish to enter into any dialogue with Mr Ichihashi or his legal team."

The Times reported that the letter reads: "I was evil.

"There is no one to blame but me. I will take the responsibility. I will never forget about her and what I did to her and you. And I will carry my cross until the moment of my death."

Miss Hawker's parents Bill and Julia said in a statement: "Ichihashi escaped from police and used plastic surgery to change his features and wanted to be free for the rest of his life."
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Finally some showing of remorse. Japanese law enforcement didn't put enough resources into this case. If it wasn't for her father's continuously pushing for justice, they would have shelved this case. It took 3 years to catch the guy.

(#2 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

Send a message via Skype™ to MuRaSaKiiNkI
10-05-2010, 08:09 PM

うわ~that's scary to think something like that could happen, and did. But, you gotta understand that any family would want retribution. If the letter is true...which I'm not all that sure about either, because to even contemplate murder is pretty crazy, IF he learned his lesson, and it truly apologetic, that would be wonderful. Writing a letter, though, is not much proof of it. Very interesting article, to say the least!

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-18-2010, 05:52 AM

Killing becomes easier after the first, not harder. You can never reclaim lost innocense.