new list of kanji? article below. - 11-19-2010, 10:59 PM

Gov't to announce new list of kanji for common use at end of month
(#2 (permalink))
Old
BakaTensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to BakaTensei
11-19-2010, 11:48 PM

Some people seem to think its the government trying to control the flow of language (in the comments section) =S sounds silly to me

It seems they are just trying to let the younger generation learn kanji that are already being used due to the popularity of mobiles phones, computers and the internet. I can't really say much else due to me not being at all great at kanji (although I look forward to the frustration and fullfillment feelings) I can understand why some people are annoyed as it is giving them more information to get their heads around but all in all I'd say we never stop learning throughout life anyways even in language (such as slang terms and popular phrases)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-19-2010, 11:51 PM

Does something about this surprise you dogsbody?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-20-2010, 01:23 PM

well MM it was a news item. I wondered if it was a common event to add more and more Kanji-- will it be beneficial. after all we constantly add new words to our dictionaries--- but still use the alphabet.

It must be nightmarish to try to know all the Kanji.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-20-2010, 03:14 PM

I`m glad they`re adding more. What this ends up meaning is that they are used in the newspaper... Not that they`re somehow added to the number that people need to know to survive. Almost all those added are kanji in completely normal use, that are very familiar. However, the newspaper is limited to those in the set, so they end up writing them phonetically. It seems really silly a lot of the time when the kanji aren`t exactly obscure.

I think that the comments on there are totally losing the point. It`s more for the newspaper and public media than anything else. There is no "limiting" of people`s ability to express things, and there is also not going to be any forcing of people to suddenly learn the ones added to the list. (Chances are, everybody already knows them anyway...) Most of those that would fall in the level covered in school are ones that kids are already going to be familiar with at that level anyway.

The kanji aren`t new - they just weren`t on the standard newspaper list.

Some of the new ones being added include 俺 (おれ - one of the most common pronouns) and 凄 (used constantly in 凄い). There are TONS on there that really should have been on the list because of their widespread usage. Instead of thinking of it as something "new" - it`s more like a tweak.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
NightBird (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to NightBird Send a message via Skype™ to NightBird
12-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Is it true there is in total "6000" kanji ? Or I'm wrong?