JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan News & Events (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-news-events/)
-   -   another quake and tsunami just now (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-news-events/36953-another-quake-tsunami-just-now.html)

RealJames 04-07-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinMask (Post 860747)
I just caught sight of it on NHK just now . . . scary when the aftershock is 7.4, especially when it's not even the main earthquake, it kind of puts the first earthquake more into perspective . . .

Is everyone okay there? The news here seems to suggest it's too early to tell, but that there's no reported injuries, damage or death. I'm hoping that everyone's okay, but with another tsunami warning out it's rather disheartening to imagine it could all happen again . . .

The tsunami is significantly smaller, and is still due to hit in like 5 more minutes so still to early to tell.
Then again the tsunami barriers are destroyed in many places so the damage might be considerable.

GoNative 04-07-2011 03:20 PM

It's much smaller than the big one and even the big one did only minor damage (the earthquake that is). The tsunami from this one is much, much smaller so you won't see a repeat of the previous disaster. Would be rather frightening for those in the region though. It was only felt as an M2 where I live and that's disconcerting enough. I'm definitely glad I don't live in Miyagi!

GoNative 04-07-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJames (Post 860748)
The tsunami is significantly smaller, and is still due to hit in like 5 more minutes so still to early to tell.
Then again the tsunami barriers are destroyed in many places so the damage might be considerable.

I think most of the places where the tsunami barriers were destroyed are pretty much as destroyed as you can get already. Not sure how they could be damaged even more!

stickmichael 04-07-2011 03:32 PM

Here is footage off of bbc if anyone wants to see. BBC News - Japan hit by tsunami after massive earthquake

JamboP26 04-07-2011 03:38 PM

Dont mean to sound insensitive, but its like something like mother nature or that has it in for Japan, and her east coast. Feel sorry for the people there, with no let up to the barrage

GoNative 04-07-2011 03:43 PM

Japan has been through events like this many times throughout it's history and will have many more in it's future. Living on a subduction zone on the Pacific ring of fire sort of guarantees that. ;)

Nyororin 04-07-2011 04:31 PM

My earthquake alarm went off when it hit - it was big enough to cause a *little* bit of shaking here. The first report was of a 5強, but it was quickly upgraded.
If this had been the first earthquake... I doubt the international news would have picked up on it that much.

Earthquakes tend to happen in fairly quick succession, so this isn`t really a surprise.

godwine 04-07-2011 04:35 PM

any news update to any damage, injuries/casualties or its impact towards already affected area???

Nanashi 04-07-2011 04:45 PM

A new tsunami?!? :(
How are the people now? Are they okay? *hope so*

Nanashi

JohnBraden 04-07-2011 05:21 PM

NHK has broadcast here that the tsunami warning has been lifted. I don\'t know if that\'s for the entire coast or the more distant sections. They also went to regular programming leading me to believe this is just a large aftershock with not much damage. I may be wrong though.