JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Niyusu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Japanese gals don't want to marry temp workers - 04-15-2007, 06:11 PM

When Japanese girls in their 20's were asked the question, "Would you marry a temporary worker?" in a recent poll, 88 percent of the respondents said "No!" More than 80 percent of those who said "no" in the survey cited "financial instability" as the prime reason for giving the cold shoulder to guys without permanent jobs.

The finding must come as depressing news for young men making up one of the fastest-growing segments of Japan's workforce. Temporary (often called "dispatch") workers number around 2.5 million, according to estimates. In the past year alone, they have increased in number by around 300,000.

Full Article: Japanese Gals Say No To Temps - Japan Times
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

04-16-2007, 05:13 AM

Yeah but what is the overall percentage of Japanese women that are even interested in marrying in their 20's regardless of their future spouse's employment?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ShibaInu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-16-2007, 07:58 AM

i guess if this is true in japan, this can also be said in other countries as well...it's quite rational for many women nowadays to think of their future married life as living with a husband who has a stable job...that's why i'm trying hard to find or maintain a more stable and permanent job...

Japan does not understand very well that one of its proudest cultural achievements is in film--- Akira Kurosawa
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Jizzeez (Offline)
New to JF

Temp workers - 05-27-2009, 06:07 AM

Yep, that's my story. She left me because she felt unstable and dissatisfied. It must be competitive for women like this though, as about one third of the workforce is now temporary, leaving a highly sought after two thirds who will pick and choose the younger, prettier girls rather than all those fussy parasite single thirty somethings waiting for the perfect, stable salaryman to come along! Good luck girls. BTW, I saw a good feature on TV about this issue. Male university students doing job hunting were worrying that if they couldn't find a permanent position (lifetime employment in 21st Century Japan) they would not be able to marry and there life would be ruined...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Jizzeez (Offline)
New to JF

Temps - 05-27-2009, 06:08 AM

I meant "their life", oops.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-27-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzeez View Post
I meant "their life", oops.
Actually "their lives," if you want to get technical.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-27-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Yeah but what is the overall percentage of Japanese women that are even interested in marrying in their 20's regardless of their future spouse's employment?
The answer to this question is "most". No Japanese wants to be unmarried by the time they reach 30. The few single Japanese I know (male and female) say that their most important goal is marriage.

The image of Japan that most women have is not different from America in the 1950's. The man works, while the woman stays home and takes care of the house/children. Japanese women will not want to marry a man who does not earn enough money for them to remain at home as housewives.

It's no wonder why so few Japanese marriages are what westerners would call "romantic" and why married Japanese have sex less than any other nationality. It's because they marry for convenience rather than love.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Jok3r (Offline)
New to JF

05-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Good for them i say...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

05-27-2009, 10:59 PM

well duh,
If someone said to you they were a temp worker, would you HONESTLY be impressed?

First impressions count!

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Jizzeez (Offline)
New to JF

Temp worker - 05-28-2009, 03:51 AM

I guess back in my home country I wouldn't be impressed.. but then I suppose as a native in my own country I'd have more chance of avoiding becoming a temp. Most foreigners in Japan are temps or contract workers and those that do get a permanent position soon face a glass ceiling. I mean they don't even promote Japanese women, so foriegners stand no chance. Another thing that should be mentioned is that I'm guessing a lot of the Japanese women surveyed about this question are temps or permanent secretary track employees themselves. It goes a long way to explain why they need someone to "take care" of them and get them out of the situation. As one prominant sociologist has stated, this situation is becoming more and more difficult, as costs mount, it's a necessity for both to be working, temp or otherwise... I'm a foriegn temp in Japan by the way.